Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
How about my new fall on my ass and getting up while keeping a weave going move smile I was watching acouple breakdancers the other night and thought I'd give it a shot with poi :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
myst learned a new one lastnight, kind of came by accident, i think he was doing the butterfly and he got a stiffy and wrapped it on his @*ck. was pretty cool. LOL the one i did lastnight was pretty cool, i was doing a BTB butterfly and i started to bend at the waist like i was trying to touch my toes, so the bfly was parallel to the groun then i brought them both down on the down swing and wrapped them from behind on both of my legs. have fun with that one.

anyone got a light?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Ade marches in blowing her own trumpet:Cracked the reverse 5 beat weave on Sunday night - wasn't even trying wink(still got no flamin' idea how to do one going forwards though)

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Nice one Ade!! You'll have to come to the park again soon since it's warming up a bit smilepoz - so were you bending over while Myst had the stiffy? wink (don't answer that!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
ade, try closing your eyes. worked for me except i had the opposite problem.

anyone got a light?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Thanks pozee, you made that fuck up not look so bad.LOL You got to understand, when I fucked up he was filming, and his witty self was quick to express to all that I tripped up on my Di*k. Good man pozee, good man. I have to agree with you though pozee, your wrap was SICK!!! Bastard's always learning something new, with a little edge.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I just mastered having confidence in my twirling in front of people on saturday night and started to enjoy being under everyones watchful and critical eye and it showed!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I also mastered looking like i was comfortable wearing tight black PVC pants...... :P*looks at flashfire*

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
The sleeve of my top caught on fire in the middle of a performance but i just blew it out - frenzie and I were laughing our asses off about it - very hard to twirl and laugh at the same time.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
um I mastered rvs 5-beat. but then I forgot it.I'll have to try and learn it again tonight smileFrenzie: I dont think I'll ever master the "Looking comfy in PVC pants" trick. I think i'll just settle on double fire neck wraps - its easier (and less risky) winkJosh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I know I'm not entirely innocent, but I'd just like to point out that we should aim to keep this thread real...not a pissing contest smile ::

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
It's not a new wrap but I haven't done it for a while so I guess it's new. Josh, pozee, and Katinca, have seen me do it. (with glowsticks) do a btb butterfly and wrap both your wrist' at the same time, now come out, still behind your back, to an opposite direction butterfly. I was proud of myself for doing it every try tonight, I haden't done it forever. Sh*t, I haven't played with glowsticks forever, till tonight. What can I say, Pozee drove me to do it, I had to show him something, that dicks getting better by the second. LOL, tried to do a BTB 5 beat weave with fire tonight and woops, no luck. Luckily I was wearing a shirt. But Pozee saw the video of me doing it behind my back, so at least I have proof I've done it. Well people, I'll talk to you later.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pozee, tried it last night with my eyes closed, and whatdoyouknow I cracked the forward 5 beat weave. Now I know why it's called a 'beat', as I found there was a definite beat/groove to get into, and then it flows really nicely. Coming back out of the 5 into the 3 is interesting, I found I almost stalled the poi, I had to slow it right down to come out of it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Myst, That BTB handcuffs wrap looks sick! I've been trying to do that one for ages and I just cant get it together...How do you get it to wrap?I've got the BTB butterfly to get into it no probs...---whoops - I'll find a relevant thread----dont hurt me Flash!!::cowers::Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 19 September 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
growls aggressively. wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just started practicing a suggestion in another thread, the TOOTHGRAB, with my staff (correct spelling this time Blackbird wink).[actually, I'll go back to that thread and put int hat I've done it)It looks pretty pathetic at the moment, but I've managed to gum it (GUMGRAB doesnt sound so good but my teeth hurt if I use them), spin around a few times (2 x 360's in new staff-speak) and release it into a helicopterneck roll.Looks ugly as hell, not polished and I'll get soot all over my face when not using my prcatice staff but it is a start...(yay me, and you, and everyone else)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 19 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Just perfected a really neat transition from the alternate butterlfy combo to a reg. butterfly to a windmill, bump shoulder stall, windmill, bkwds weave. cool little combo indeed.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i am not sure if this is a new move, but i was doing one meteor and one poi lastnight. tough sh1t i tell you. congrats ade, glad i could help. there is a whole new world o timing opening up to me now with the poi/meteor thing. but i love a challenge, and i think i am addicted to the meteor thing now too, oops.

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay lets try this again. havent done it with fire yet, because i just remembered it right now. doing the one handed butterfly, put the handles into your mouth and do the butterfly with your teeth, then you can wrap in on your leg a couple of times. beee careful, dont go chipping your teeth or anything.

anyone got a light?

Xochidancemember
18 posts

Posted:
I am proud to have gotten the reverse 5 beat weave, which has evaded me for the longest time. I can do a btb weave, but I always forget to practice, so have never gotten even remotely good at it. good job everybody, cept for the hooligans chattin away wink j/k

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
hee hee! I got that today too! It rules! I can do 5 beat weave turns and 5 beat fountains! god they feel good. The most helpful thing was doing the forward 5 beat and watching your hands, because there are little flicks you do subconsciously with your fingers to get the poi in the right place...now all I need is the rvs ttn, then i can start doing the split time ttn and stuff too.heeh, im running out of moves to learn! jk, i have all the 5bt btb stuff to get done now...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Sundevilmember
8 posts

Posted:
I learned this new move the other night from a friend I haven't seen since highschool. It's easier to do with shorter strings. You start out by swinging the poi in front of you kinda like a butterfly but with your hands apart from each other. What you do is stick your left arm foreward some so your right poi wraps around it and starts swinging the opposite direction, then you pull your left arm back in and stick your right arm out some and do the wrap with your left poi. you keep switching hands and wraping and the poi keep alternating foreward to reverse to foreward with little spirals inbetween from the wraps, it looks crazy. now i just gotta figure out how to transfer into this move smooth.My roomate calls this move the Rolley Tango cause he says it looks like two rolley polley bugs dancing.Sundevilx1@aol.com

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Damn you,, i've been doing that move for ages now , and you beat me to putting it up here. Ahh Knagi can back me up on knowing it. The 5 beats are still kicking my ass, as i can't do them. But i'm getting good at arm- legwraps , and dancing around more.

We are defined by the choices we make

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
just learned the BTB weave and I'm still practicing, it comes so-so, but i have to put my left foot forward so it doesn't get it, also I can do the BTB weave-->weavebut I can't do weave to BTB weave, both poi hits my knees, any good suggestions?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
get your knees out of the way grin------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Just learned the Lower fountain.... =)man... now i sure have bunch of tricks to play & rotate... but i'll like to master my transitions from weave to btb weave, i can do it doing a 5 beat weave to btb weave...but, it is posible a 5 beat lower fountain?5 beat and the reverse weave in the center is just 3?keep spinning guys... don't stay forever with a trick once you learn it... combo it, specially having fun with the weave & turn smile------------------[- y.a.s.h.i.r.o. -]

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
just started the reverse BTB weave today, did like 1 of each side but everytime i go to my right it hits me frownI think that I got the rev btb weave because of the fwd btb training i did? I dunno, but I feel that my arms travels more freely, maybe because the arms that makes the transfer to the other sides goes Over the arm and allows to spin more freely;not like the fwd btb weave that goes under, I dunno, I hope to get it pretty soon and then began with the troublesomes turns & wraps btb, dunno, just writing it down to express my learning process and how it feels before it comes naturally and forget how to explain it, Peace out

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Hey im actually looking for some helpIm trying to crack my five beat weave but im struggling on my left hand side are there any tricks or am i just uncoordinated------------------

Good on usGood on us all

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Its a simple move, but i was excited to learn something new and looks cool! Cant wait to do it on fire.Its just swinging the poi on the same side of the body once and then changing over to the other side (i did say it was easy) but it crosses your hands and the circles look really effective, gonna try and experiment with circle size and transitioning now!------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Already mastered reverse BTB weaves(mostly), and transitioning from front to behind the back for reverse weaves. I can pull of a forward BTB weave about 80% of the time. Pulled off (finally) a turning BTB weave from reverse BTB to forward BTB tonight. Only did it once though. :P I dunno if this has a name, but try doing a weave to one side(like a fountain), then in teh middle, rather than doing a windmill, just do the front part of the windmill(without going over your head) but do teh hand movements of a quad windmill, and go immediately to a weave on the right side. Keep both weaves, and the extra beats in the middle all at the same height. The effect is, it looks like the circles, "roll" from one side of your body to the other. :PCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Page: ...