Forums > Videos > 3 new videos by Zan. 2 Poi, 1 Double Staff

Login/Join to Participate

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
I've posted three parts of an ongoing video series "Zan Plays". So far two videos are with poi, one with double staff.

The first one:

The second one (more experimental dance style):

Does anyone else have ideas/suggestions to incorporate waving or liquid dance into poi spinning?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next video I'll make in this series will be Contact Juggling. If you want to catch it, subscribing to the channel is the easiest way. https://www.youtube.com/user/Zan00

Peace

EDITED_BY: Zan (1297315750)
EDIT_REASON: Added a new video

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Hey Zan, nice to see new videos with exploration of body movement. I've found snaking and isolating around all body parts lends itself to a lot of liquid dance.

In order to use the poi effectively while dancing I try to keep the technique solid and then experiment how I can use my whole body to enhance the motion of the poi or add some flare to some particular trick. I've found most of the non-beginner poi tricks have the potential to involve the whole body anyway so it's just a matter of loosening up all the muscles, finding your balance, and letting the weight of the poi pull you into several shapes.

So my approach is to make the body malleable as opposed to sacrificing planes, timing or zero points. Of course there will always be a compromise; I don't think it's actually possible to achieve 100% body movement without missing some aspect of poi but I try to balance it out.

Anyways just my 2 cents

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Do I even have to say it?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

1020bennySouthern Spinner
13 posts

Posted:
Pretty unique styling. Leospoi has good advice. a lot of body movement throws off your planes. too much body movement and it looks like youre trying to keep from falling over.

-I'm so Psily ::))

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I really dig the plane-bendy wrappy stuff around 1:30 in the first vid. And it's cool to see you incorporating more 3d stuff.

I like the movement style in the second a lot. I've never seen anyone incorporate that stuff that well, so I hope you pursue it some more.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
I filmed all these videos in one night. My idea was to watch my practice session to see what needed cleaning up. The verdict?
I was free-flowing and dancing to music, but decided that I could clean up a lot of stuff by trying to be slower and more controlled. I gave up some precision by trying to keep up with the beat of faster songs. It's not that slower is necessarily better, just a different style. But that's how I've focused my practice since seeing these videos.
But how can we do it all? Clean precise movement that matches the mood and rhythm of a song, even when improvised! That's my future lofty goal.

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Here's another video from that night in the Yurt. This is my first contact juggling video ever:

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I really liked the doubles video Zan! and I guess thats unusual for me - I dont like most doubles vids I see. It was great to see you moving and flowing with it, considering something other than 'just the trick'.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pyrolific-
I appreciate the feedback. I took a choreography class years ago in which the teacher said "Your techniques are just your tools. People don't want to see your tools; they want to see what you can do with them."
Even though the class had nothing to do with spinning, it's so applicable to spinning because so much focus goes into technique and we forget that the ultimate goal is to create an artistic piece of self-expression that is aesthetically pleasing to the audience.

gumopnewbie
36 posts

Posted:
You teacher is fully right, your are hiding behind your tool, So you maybe should take more class dance in the future smile To get cleaner moves, and forget a bit the tool. ( or any kind of movement stuff )