johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Ok, I will be travelling back to Philippines next week and I'm bringing my 5 foot staff with me. What should I do? I should check it in because of it's length, right? Now, my problem is, should I wrap it with something or I'll just carry it in the airport like normal and check it in like a luggage? wonder

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you would have to check it, it's too big for hand luggage wink

I would suggest a staff, fishing or didgeridoo bag to keep it safe and mark it as yours so they have something to attach the ticket to. You don't want to lose your stick smile

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
or PVC pipe with a couple end caps

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
If it's a used firestaff you will of course have burnt off all fuel, and I've found lots of baking foil wrapped around the wicks keeps the smell at bay.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Socks over the wicks and a lot of gaffa tape is enough to get through that pesky airport security. Oh and they are "circus props" not "fire staffs"... they get a bit twitchy if you mention the word "fire".

Then stick them in a bag, mine's a fishing rod bag but there's loads of different bags out there.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
thanks! but i've read something that they require additional fee for baggage like that, example is ski bags, golf bags, surfboard, bodyboards etc... have you guys encountered something like that? did you pay extra?

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
It depends on the airline I think - most allow you to check a piece of 'sporting equipment' as well as your regular baggage allowance without charging you, but some of the low cost airlines might charge for each piece.

I've checked skibags for free with United, Quantas, JAL and Air Canada (but not to the US since 9/11).

I'd check with the airline you're using.

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
yah i'm flying united to canada then PAL from there... so i might buy a bag or just wrap it with cardboard or a garbage plastic then wrap it again with duct tape.

UstuloTerrastranger
19 posts

Posted:
I have traveled all over canada and the united states with my staff wrapped up in a blanket, never had a problem with air or ground travel.

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
my staff is wrapped and good to go but i cancelled my trip... will reschedule it next week. will wait for my goods to arrive.