Forums > Social Chat > I think I'm being found

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:Ok today at work apparently my manager looked at my Facebook with some of her friends, who also work with me, and saw my latest video. She was very impressed and was talking to me about it, asked me what it's called, blah blah blah. An then told me what i picture as the coolest thing in the world.

She used to live in Kalamazoo, Michigan. And there, every Wednesday night this guy would go up on the top of this giant hill and do what I do, and also what was described as "a long stick with fire on both ends," and do that. And you could see him throughout the whole city because it was the highest point in the city and the fire was so bright. And apparently you could even see him from 4 miles away.

I personally think this is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. It is comparable to one of those ancient ghost stories about a ghost that goes out to shore and stares out into the sea. I have also decided that when I move somewhere I want there to be a really big hill near the middle of the city tongue2 That would be a big plus for me.

If you, Mr. Man, happen to be lurking these forums, please show yourself because I would love to spin with you. Or anyone that lives in Kalamazoo or closer, or if you know this man.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete Topic

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Hey, Spinner of Detroit - why don't you just jump in your ride anytime you feel like and pursue this image?

It's a really cool thing that your manager is happy about what she found out about you and doesn't fire you wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Haha, I would. but see, I live in a flatland. Kalamazoo is if I remember right about an hour and a half away from me. During the summer, I want to find a nice public place to spin, but the only one I can think of is literally in a massive ditch that happens to have a park in it.

But during the summer i want to find myself a regular public place to spin.

Delete

T-S-A
T-S-A

Magic Monkey Juice
Total posts: 252
Posted:I was fortunate enough to live 2 mins from the beach last summer. I didn't have a job at the time so I would go out with my headphones, some beers, smoke and poi and spin all afternoon/evening. Was really tranquil and calm, was so relaxing, in a world of my own, dancing around to repetative beats and watching the moon shine on the water.

I remember one time late summer I was spinning fire at night, and some middle aged fella and his missus sat on the bench watching me. They must have been there for about 30-45 mins. I was in my own little world, spinning spinning spinning.

Then matey comes over to me and was like "we have been sitting there watching you, and we think it's amazing, really enjoyed watching you". He offered me 5 and said to buy some more parafin with it. I refused his offer and said that I didn't do it for money, but the chap insisted I take it.

Was one of the must humbling feelings I have ever experienced. Will never forget that night.

Ahh the small things smile

This is my pretty new spinning spot grin

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1268768384)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:That's awesome, both the things, the old guy and the new spot.

I think I may have found an area, but!, it's right across the street from the elementary school so cops may comment on that, and it has trees around me. There is an open spot, but I'm not sure if it's as open as I want.

I could just do a practice there and see first I guess. Because it's like a minute or 2 walk from my house. But I'd probably have to drive anyways to carry, poi, staffs, kerosene, fire extinguisher because of the trees, and anything else I need.

Delete

T-S-A
T-S-A

Magic Monkey Juice
Total posts: 252
Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit

I think I may have found an area, but!, it's right across the street from the elementary school so cops may comment on that, and it has trees around me. There is an open spot, but I'm not sure if it's as open as I want.

Them dirty hippies trying to entice young children with their bright lights and pretty patterns wink

Try the spot out unlit, if you feel there is enough space then light up grin

Open spots in the trees are the best, some of Nicks pics out in what looks like a forest makes me want to cream my pants a little grin

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Hey, I was practicing today in front of my house and my neighbors asked me what it is called. They told me they had seen me outside with fire before and thought it was awesome and I entertained their baby quite a bit.

Well, they also told me that they graduated high school in Flat Rock, MI with someone that did that and other fire things. They said his name is Tod, but I guess he goes by Tod Various now and travels making a living doing fire shows.

Well I'd have to say, he's been doing this quite a long time for them to graduate with them. He's a real old schooler. If anyone here knows him or is him (hi wave ) contact me because I owuld love to meet him.

Delete

TimmyJP
TimmyJP

stranger
Total posts: 1
Posted:I love those moments where you're spinning for yourself in your own little world and someone stops to watch.

The first time I 'poi jammed' with other people I was walking along the beach and I bumped into two guys doing some fire staff practice. I got talking to them and got my flowlights from the car, we had a fantastic session spinning together for about 20 minutes. We ended up with about 20-30 people stood on the pier watching us.

Such a good feeling, we now spin on the beach every couple of weeks and we've got a few people who come to watch us regularly. We've never spoken to our 'audience' and they never clap or try talk to us, it's as if they realise we are completely in our own world talking to each other through spinning fire!

Fantastic stuff.

Non-Https Image Link

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Omg I found the most awesomest spot on the docks by the water downtown. It's about a 5-8 minute drive though. It is public property I checked, it's a big cement platform on the edge of the water. It's the same place the set off fireworks for the 4th of July. And it's right next to a park and a big apartment building.

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:Get a good camera angle and that would make for some badass photos/vids!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:If there was somewhere higher than the platform than yes it would laugh3 Unless you somehow want to get onto a roof with no way to actually get on that sure tongue2

Delete

Zephyre Phoenix
Zephyre Phoenix

Familiar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
Total posts: 1264
Posted:I'm still lookin for a place around KC to spin. I've heard some spinners gather at loose park, but thats it so far.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:There's a park that runs along a river in the city I've been spinning at that a lot of people walk and jog on. It's cool spinning in front of people who don't know poi because if you censored up nobody can tell.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

owner of the group property
Total posts: 1277
Posted:I've been spending the week camping at a yurt site in Oregon, and it's definitely been fun spinning in front of people who are impressed by my out of plane hybrid flowers. Those would never fly back at the spin jams tongue2

Then a hooper showed up at the same site and, unlike me, had her fire gear. Totally upstaged...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

eca
Total posts: 197
Posted:Originally Posted By: AscilithI'm still lookin for a place around KC to spin. I've heard some spinners gather at loose park, but thats it so far.

My roommate, who is from KC, suggested loose park and said that there are frequently spinners there (he said they are all over the place). He also mentioned some other place in/near KC that would be good during some festival/event (can't remember what specifically), and that you need a permit if you are wanting to try and make money spinning.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Yesterday, I was practicing in my front yard, and a bunch of kids were riding their bikes by. They asked me what it was for, so I decided to show them grin I ended up doing a show for about 15 middle school kids. Some of them were siblings of people in my grade too grin They thought it was awesome. And they asked if it was on Youtube so I gave one of them a paper with my Youtube account name on it. That was some of the most fun I've had in a long time, performing for an audience that large. All those people ooh-in and ahh-in and woah-in and holy censored-in.

Also last night I went to my friend's house. One of her friends is in a band called Dirty Whiskey. I asked if I could perform with his band, he had heard about what I do before, so I showed him the video on my iPod. He was amazed and was like hell yeah, that would be awesome to have with out band. So I also showed him my glowstringing, he also thought that was really awesome and he'll talk to his band today. He testes if I could do it to a bunch of music, he did Dragonforce, I could do that, then he tld me they do nothing like that and started playing his guitar. By the time I was done I was a living pile of sweat. Also been glowstinging for a week now, I should probably make a 1 week video.

I had one hell of a Friday wink

Delete

eca
Total posts: 197
Posted:Awesome w/the kids! Congrats on the (potential) gig with the band!

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Yeah, they're opening for a big band soon and will be on the radio grin The thought of it is crazy, performing with them. I've always wanted to see what it would be like in a band playing in front of all those people.

Delete

Zephyre Phoenix
Zephyre Phoenix

Familiar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
Total posts: 1264
Posted:sweet! Lucky. Yeah I can't rly just perform on the street here. Not with fire at least. I could probably practice, but nothing too fun. Police are too touchy

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:lol, I was just on my driveway, nothing special tongue2

Delete