Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What move made learning new ones easier for you

Login/Join to Participate

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Ok so i have been spinning for about 3/4 weeks now and have learnt a few moves(butterflys, 3beat weave, windmill etc) but the one move that has made my life soo much easier and my spining more fluid has been low turns. So out of curiosity what has been the one move you have learnt that has made spinning easier for you?

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Besides super basics, crossers and meltdowns opened up a lot of mobility for me, and stalls/pendulums are absolutely vital for so many transitions. But learn everything you can, really, and anything that looks fun especially.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Crossers, waistraps, meltdowns, under the legs for sure,stalls, and pendulums. Now I can put them just about anywhere. I'm currently actually working on doing a waistwrap and with my hands coming from behind me at my side doing a spiral. I can do it, but I still wouldn't do it with fire.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
There are three that i can't decide between, in order of relevance: isolation, reels, stalls.

Isolation helps with control in everything. it allows me to slow movements down as well as feel them in a stronger way. It makes soft plane bending much easier which is very useful when crossing the body in things like turning flowers and many partner moves.

Reels to me are the most basic movement of turning and they apply everywhere. Of course they are not the actual elemental movement but they are the broader move which helped me develop crossing my body in any arm position (separated, crossed, et cetera) and in succession to that, turning around.

Stalls open up a lot of transition possibilities. First of all they are the most natural transition between directions. Stalls where probably one of the first move classes that I was able to really explore on a deep level. They are a clean way to break down possibilities and those exercises helped teach me how to explore all movement as closely. Then they are what sharp plane changing is based on.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Reels are probably the thing for me aswell, same direction and opposites. Right now my safe move seems to be turning/whirling/moving around with reels. Reels are usually the first things to learn that allow the spinner to really move around, explore the space. And that gives makes spinning 10 times more fun. Plus reels are a good introduction to spinning behind you.

Stalls are awesome aswell (radial stalls were probably the move that finally got me off my behind to try out poi for myself.. They just look so cool.), but I tend to overuse them if I don't watch myself.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Reels as well. Same reasons as ReVo.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Reels have certainly become a lot more fun since I decided to, you know, move around and turn while spinning. I suppose they're also a good move to learn to track cross-points on, too.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Even more fun is just moving reels around to different quadrants.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that used to be one of my favorites back when I was starting out. I've found the niche better satisfied by various pendulum thingers since, though I ought to try relearning some of my quadrant transitions to accommodate twirling at the same time.

More to the topic for the original poster, I would note that when I mention meltdowns above, I include three beat (usually used as wheel plane) meltdowns, which is a motion your poi will go through when turning in a reel anyway. So my meltdown recommendation is meant to address the same things as the above reel recommendations.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your feed back guys. one thing i have found and just about all of you have mentioned it, is the getting comfortable with the poi being anywhere around your body. That and it is alot more fun being able to move around without whacking yourself.

I think i might start learning stalls or pendulums next just struggling to get my brain and my limbs working together

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I'd also like to add that after reels, crossers were the second thing to really further open up my spinning. There's so much more complexity you can add to your improvised dance routines once you're comfortable with spinning having your arms crossed. Just saying that to let anybody who hasn't worked with crossers yet know, that they are something worth trying out.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Also being able to wrap and unwrap poi around your hands and fingers to shorten and lengthen them while spinning without having to stop and let them wind and continue. That opens up a lot.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
all of the above but add in flowers and multi directional stalling

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Stalls, turns, and redirects (normally from a stall) have opened much up to me personally along with body movement (walking, dancing, jumping) and spinning from all positions (i.e. out in front, above the head, anywhere the arms can extend). All of those have been important to transforming from spinning while still to maximizing floor space and incorporating expressive movement.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Definitely reels and low turns for general mobility, but also practising everything in the opposite direction! Absolutely vital. Also, for myself, crossers really helped with various things, but the one move which really forved me to evelve my spinning was learning flowers. Once I'd got these my spinning opened up and loads of other stuff came really fast after that.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?