WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
so, Ive been doing searches on best fuel to use on poi, and all im getting are 20 topics on how I should just use search for the answer. I know that regular posters are probably sick of answering these; but its not that easy to find an answer for.

The HoP article is kinda useless as well.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

steambugGOLD Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
Part of the problem with best fuel questions is that fuels are called different things in different countries, anyhow...

In Australia, by far the best fuel for spinning is Shellsol D60 - it's fairly clean burning, doesn't leave smelly residue on your wicks and relatively speaking is very safe- though it can be hard to get, especially in smaller quantities. I *think* juggleart in melbourne sell this rebranded as 'firewater'.

Otherwise kerosene is okay- though much smellier and smokier- fairly safe, and seems to be the fuel of choice of most sensible backyard spinners. Its also cheap and easy to get. I've used it alot, and whilst not as nice as D60, is fine, but it does really stink. smirk

Some people mix kerosene with shellite or colemans camp fuel- for easier lighting and i think brighter flame. But please don't use shellite on it's own, (whilst fun) it's more than a little dangerous. duck

Happy (safe) spinning smile

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: steambug

Some people mix kerosene with shellite or colemans camp fuel- for easier lighting and i think brighter flame. But please don't use shellite on it's own, (whilst fun) it's more than a little dangerous. duck

Happy (safe) spinning smile

I use a shellite stove to cook on while on trips, so im well versed in its sudden tempermental eyebrow lossing qualities, having had my head engulfed in flame on numerous occasions yes

hey steambug, Im from Radelaide originally, where do you get shellsol from?
EDITED_BY: WoodlandApple (1260163872)

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i've only known of one place in hobart where you could buy it but they closed down and it was in 50 lt drums, so quite pricy. you just have to hunt around servos and ask if they know anywhere i guess, independant servos would probably be more helpful than the big chains like woolies and BP.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandApple
I use a shellite stove to cook on while on trips, so im well versed in its sudden tempermental eyebrow lossing qualities,

Well, if you're familiar with it, I'd say naphtha is the *best* fuel to spin with. I don't use anything but.

You do however have to treat it with respect, this ain't your momma's kerosene and it does present the problem with explosive vapours that a long chain aliphatic doesn't.

Naphtha is cleaner, smokes less and leaves your poi fresh enough to place under your pillow to inspire dreams of turning antispin flowers, flawlessly. It is OTHO, more "unhealthy" than kerosene to both you and the environment due to the presence of cyclic compounds in the mix.