Forums > Social Discussion > UK exchanges Lockerbie bomber for oil

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
the article

Originally Posted By: Times onlineThe British government decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

.... the ethics of working (for) the system wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
So what? Punitive justice achieves nothing as it is. That guy will be watched so closely by international security agencies he won't be able to take a piss without the CIA or MI6 knowing about it, and if it eases the economic situation and overall wellbeing of an entire nation I'm inclined to say it's well worth it. My 2p.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
remember, there were 270 people killed in this bombing...

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
There's no denying it was a real tragedy. But my point is that keeping him here or having him watched abroad, he poses no real threat any more. If he can be used as a bargaining chip so much the better. Clinging on to him isn't going to bring anyone back.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
And now there's talk of claiming off libya for the Deaths from IRA bombings due to munitions supplied by Libya. seems a round about way of currying favour.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8241069.stm

Our Prime minister is just going about making friends the only way he knows... badly... releasing a libyan supposed terrorist (because there is doubt to the evidence recovered by the US linking this guy to the bombing) to get oil then claiming money off them just seems a way to piss them off.

I don't think the release was due to oil deals more likely the threat of legal action for false imprisonment and the silence of the individual he was released before his appeal could come to court with new evidence. Now the appeal has failed he would have to file for a new case for wrongful imprisonment which would involve him dying before it got to court. UK legal system saved a fortune. I think it's more about human rights for suspected terrorists than oil. Oil is just a convenient cover story because the environment is a hotter topic than human rights. that an oil issue was solved close by in time is moot but something the media can use to sell papers.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-464827/Is-Lockerbie-bomber-really-guilty.html

I don't like the media. espescially when it draws conclusions and pushes them to the fore as public opinion, as public opinion soon follows the idea of the story.

Edit
Even if it WAS for oil it was llikely that the release of a possibly innocent man for oil concessions seemed fair. It's not like he was guaranteed guilty there was always doubt
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1252319026)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea - the only two points under which this deal could be recognized "fair":

- the evidence leading to his imprisonment is.... shaky
- the guy is terminally ill with cancer and might only got another year to live...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
It's all money related I'll give you that. Individual rights go out the window when a government is looking to secure it's own position.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/08/merciless.html

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thanks for the link Meg, nice to see some constructiveness at work.

Criminal punishment itself should be "about respect for the greater good of society, which is better served by rehabilitation and reconcilliation"... clap

Only "funny" that they do it in conjunction wif an oil deal... wink