15,417 posts

Posted:
I think we need more balloons.

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
You can never have enough of these around either

I think it's spot on already Malc

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
HoP Wonka vision! Brilliant idea Malcolm!

*imagines lots of HoPpers running around twirling minature staffs and poi...*

er.
cancel that.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Howz abt HoP picks up the particuar Boolt format where u choose ur own skins... pwetty colours n all. N I still want a piccy next 2 me name every time I post... pleeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by snowy_lisle:
N I still want a piccy next 2 me name every time I post...
like we discussed this months back and like its ever gonna happen! pesky bandwidth n all.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

i don't really know my internet onions from my internet potatoes, but isn't bandwidth only an issue if HoP is hosting the avatar images?

If they're linked from elsewhere, then the bandwidth is being used wherever the images are hosted innit?

and if speed of access for modem peeps is the problem they can just turn off avatar images in the profile (like i have, work pcs are sloooow)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
The only improvement I think would be good is to have a new section for all the online vids we have been submitting. The current online vids are scattered about the social, staff and poi moves sections. These vids are pretty popular but can be hard to find and often get lost amongst the other stuff.

I have already emailed Malcolm with this suggestion but I know he gets 1,000,000,001 emails so perhaps posting it in here it might help and can also get what other peeps think of this idea.

The avatar idea is cool but perhaps there should be a limit to file size for the pics so to ease the bandwidth problem. Something like a maximum of approx 20k would work!.

4000 users x 20k =80000kb or 80mb

Then peeps can have the option of downloading one file to store all the pics offline and update it when needed.

Just some ideas that might work!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

3,149 posts

Posted:
hey, i'm not bad at compressing images but thats a bit titchy. Can be done with ultra low palette gifs, but how many people know how to make them?

And anyway, whats with this bandwidth thing anyway if the files are remotely hosted.

me no understand

thumbs up to a video section tho

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont get the bandwidth issues either, i agree that if they are remote links thats fine.. it doesnt increas malcolms bandwidth here, but as this is a public website where we register as members for FREE, we can have photo galleries!!! like they may be limited but still all the ghost running round hop that are not members use bandwidth by downloading the vids and looking at all the galleries, even uploading images will increase the bandwidth, i think that one LITTLE avatar will not hinder our viewing preferences andadd some life into the way hop looks, call it consumer decoration. or just give us "the ones with silly titles" avatars, as the 4 members that do have them dont post much any more or am i blind?, and were left with a two tone table layout. and the odd smilley here and there.

i do agree that there is a need for a video section, because the videos that are linked from random places around HoP are getting a lot of downloads from not only members but non members too, with morning coffee i used 4GB of bandwidth in 4 days. yeah it was a big file but still the demand is there and i'm sure jez will agree and check the stats from his ftp how many downloads there have been in the past 2 months.

just a thought

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
If each person who accessed my host downloaded all the vids off of my site it works out at approx 100mb total download. That obviously is not what happens considering my other logs but it does mean that over 2 months at the very least 100people have downloaded all the videos from the site. However my educated guess due to the other logs is that the number is closer to 300.

So as you can see this is a very popular service that we provide and it is not just me who hosts these videos, and there is a huge demand for them. I just think it would be ashame to lose this stuff amongst all the other things hop has to offer.

just my rather biased opinion!

Hope malcolm likes the idea!!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
PELE Y CANT I HAVE A SILLY PIC NEXT 2 MY NAME? U GET WHIPPY QUISTIS FROM FINAL FANTASY Y CANT I?

3,149 posts

Posted:
ok, ok you want an avatar. i get the idea. no need go all shouty capital letters at Pele seeing as
A)shes not online at the moment
B)she doesn't have the power to give you an avatar
C)she hasn't even been on this thread
D)shouty capital letters are rarely appreciated. they hurt peoples eyes, especially if they have hangovers.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
*YEAH WHAT EVER MONKEY BOY SAID ABOVE*
you do that you get SHOUTED at back! by monkies.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I wasnt shouting... I dont generally shout @ people.. so sorry if you got the impression. Avatars are a good idea. and I also think the video thing is an ace idea. I really love Peles quistis pic tho... I am a final fantasy obsessive. lol

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I would love to buy poi off HOP but I havent the means... not old enuf for a credit card as yet... and I want to avoid visa... is it possible 2 get Switch and Solo, I'm sure that would be ace and many people would find it a tad more convenient. Being 17 I have a solo and I have noticed that more sites are realising the prospects of this particular online market. I have my eye on some fire poi... the ones I can find in real life are blummin well expensive...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
That would be brilliant... right now to get the dosh. LOL!
Can anyone help with improvement to my non existent backwrads weave?

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, you're passion for what you do is very much appreciated

If a membership fee was required to keeps things here as lush as they are, I would happily pay it, based on affordability of course.

I also think it's fair enough to pay for an avatar, after all, people seem quite happy to pay silly amounts of money for some of those terrible mobile phone ring tones!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I agree.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Right..2 points to raise here..

1) about paying for the site...i honestly would pay for the sevice...HOEVER...would this not put new users off from joining us?..one of the reasons that i joined. charging people to join up..wouldnt that only piss them off??

and secondly.....switch..solo...when could visa electron be implemented..that means i can buy stuff without checking with my parents...leading to financial reliability and stability in my later life. Which is nice.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Malcolm you are truly a star.

Although I am not too sure how creating the video forum would lead to commercial site advertising. Also if it did become a problem, surely thats the reason we have moderators to delete the posts that are leading to commercial sites.

Anyway do not worry about my ignorance. You have come through for us as always.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
can we have a pin the tail on a donkey game too please malcolm? can we huh can we?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
oh thanks malcolm

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
thanks for explaining alla that, mr Malcolm!
btw, i have a crappy dail-up.
To me this means that I can view more pages of HoP delight faster with less graphics
Not everyone has a flash computer, and kudos to you for allowing the 'lowest common denominator' computers to comfortably access your site!
more fireness for everyone, yay!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

3,149 posts

Posted:
Talking of membership fees, i've been on other boards (such as the one on B3TA) where members can donate money to the running of the board, and they then get a little icon doohickey next to their names. You could do that to allow peeps HoP-hosted avatars.

Of course that could amount to emotional blackmail to active members who haven't donated.

and Bender, as i mentioned before about avatars and access times, you can choose in your profile not to display avatars. And setting that as the default would totally remove that problem.

Sorry to wibble on about avatars, but i like em. it gives you an instant handle on someone in a similar way to signatures. Makes people more easily recognisable. and they look pretty

3,149 posts

Posted:
oh, and thumbs up to Malcolm on using others bandwidth and you would have them use yours. Never even thought about it like that before. You're like some kind of internet Jesus, showing me the error of my image linking ways. Not that it'll actually stop me remotely linking images, but at least i'll feel guilty when i do it now...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I agree with the jesus comment, must be loads of work listening to annoying sods like myself.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ok.
here's my request....please

A bit of history really. Id like access to the old old original message board. You know when it was all in one line and all mixed in together.

Even if it was just up as a text file (actually that would be great).

Thankyou and keep up the great work
Drew

Page: