j4m35poinewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Hey all. Im having difficulty with my flowers. i just cant seem to get the individual hand movements sorted. was wondering if there were any exercises worth doing to build up my ambidextrousnous (that may not be a word but u know wat i mean) anyway if any one can offer tips would be greatly appreciateed. Or if anybodies around Exeter in the Uk lessons would be greatly appreciated ty all

My invisible alligator thinks you look tasty

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,688 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm...

When you say "hand motions"... what exactly do you mean?
For me, flowers are much more about arm and body position.
How do you hold your poi?

Good exercises for flowers is just doing the circles with your arms (without any poi) and checking in reflection/shadow that your arms form a straight line.

The poi will remain "outside" your arm the entire way around the circle.
If you're spinning you poi normally by your side, this is how you'll be spinning at every stage of the flower.

Once you're comfortable with your arms making the circles with your arms, start off doing just the arm circles really slowly letting your poi spin "normal" speed (So it would be like a 58-petal flower as opposed to a standard 4-petal). This will help you to keep your poi in plane throughout the flower - every position where your poi start to break plane keep your arms in that position until you've corrected the plane and then continue.
Slightly tedious practise but sorts the flowers out.

Once you're solid with those, try speeding the arms up and slowing the poi down slightly so you end up with a 4-petal flower, i.e. infront, low, behind, high.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

j4m35poinewbie
22 posts

Posted:
holding my poi with the loops around my middle and ring finger. but yeh i did mean arm movements its just proving difficult to keep it looking good especially when my arms are back. but yano practice makes perfect and will give ure tips a try too. think the motion of the arms is where im falling down ty for the help dude. will definately give it a go. if i got any more problems will post again here
ty ty

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
With staffs I found that, if your feet are both facing forward, you want your body facing sideways at the same side as the back hand, and then turn (at the hips only) as you reach the vertical position. This will make it easier to keep the back arm straight.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,688 posts

Posted:
ditto

Knew there was something I was going to add smile

When you're at the one-arm-forward-one-arm-back stage, your torso should be open towards your arms(crucifix pose), twisting at the waist to keep your feet pointing forward.

At the up/down stances you're facing the direction of your feet - so for a full flower (regardless of direction/spin/goofy) - your torso will be twisting through 180 degrees, turning to ensure you're opening up towards the "back" arm.
Again, practise this with out poi smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Waving arms around is fun. Is always amusing when you turn around and people are copying you biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

j4m35poinewbie
22 posts

Posted:
yehp just been out in the garden waving my arms about. turned round to see my dad watching and laughing. lol. but pracice makes perfect hehe. and thanks for the hints am getting the basic arm patterns correct just gotaa slow down the spin of the poi. ty all will keep practicing and let u know if i get more issues

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The fun part comes when you try to get your arms to butterfly. I just need to add poi to it now.

But I think that the 58 petal flower might be worth me trying. Thanks Durbs, and nice topic James.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else, and the method I used myself.

You'll need some poi and a large BLANK/EMPTY wall.

Stand next to the wall facing down the wall whatever direction, so that one shoulder is towards the wall and one away. Stand as close as you without touching the wall (i'm talking like a centimeter away). Now start doing your arm motions. The goal here is to make full circles without touching the wall (and DON'T move away from the wall, thats cheating). at first it may help to brush your hand along the wall as you do this.

If the wall is YOURS and no one cares if you write on it, then a GREAT thing to do is get some chalk and as you are doing your arm motions literally draw a circle on the wall. At first you will find your circle is uneven in parts, over time and practice you'll get a much more even shape.

Switch sides and repeat this. Try both same direction and opposite direction arms. I usually call the motions: Paddle (forward spin arms) Backstroke (backward arms) and butterfly (duh). There's another flower variation that you can do with "scissor" arms as I call them. This is an opposite direction arm motion, but instead of arms crossing at top and bottom they cross directly in front of you. Since you obviously can't do this behind you this move requires a 180 turn. You'll find that when doing scissors your arms don't make full circles RELATIVE TO YOU, but they do make full circles relative to the audience. To you it seems you are just raising and lowering your arms in "split time butterfly" in front of you. I ALWAYS encourage people to learn scissors at the same time as flowers. Its a fundamental move you'll want to get early and not have to force your brain to reconfigure after you've drilled regular flowers. Also scissors are the start to paracircles and all kinds of other fun/weird stuff.

AAANNNNYYYYWWAAAAAYYYY back on topic, once you've got your circle drawn and your arm motions burned in now add poi. Stand just a bit further out from the wall to allow for the poi and do the exact same exercises. Remember to really open your body towards the sides as you hit horizontal. The goal is to keep the poi just riding the wall or barely not touching it. This is great for drilling planes. Obviously switch and repeat. Practice spin and antispin this way.

Once you have all that, now lets throw in some turns, the wall is handy for this also as it'll halp you kep your plane when turning. I find the best way to turn early on is the two foot pivot: Assuming you are standing with right side to the wall, when you're ready to turn (usually at either full vertical or full horizontal) step forward with your left foot and place it in line with your right foot (like a tightrope) then pivot on the balls of both feet TOWARDS the wall and around so your left shoulder faces the wall then draw your right foot back beside your left. You can do this backward also, put one foot behind, pivot, draw back up. All the while keep your hands from touching the wall. It's really kinda hard at first.

Hope this all helps, it really helps anyone else I teach and helped me. Obviously theres many more moves but these are the beginnings. Oh and did I mention the chalk circle is REALLY great for helping arm position if you can get a proper shadow on the wall. Can check the "time" your arms make. I tell people to go 6am - 9:15am - 12:30pm - 3:45pm - 6pm - 9:15am - 12:30am - 3:45am etc in their head.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
wow, i have been practising flowers so much this week and i have finally managed to get some of them, its such a cool and versatile move, really enjoying linking it in to other tricks now. i'm still not perfect (of course) but its really getting there, and its FUN now instead of completely head bendy and crazy!

Nice one HOP for your funky research library and also a mini shout out to you tube!

pyromania pixie power!

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I'm so bookmarking this thread, I'm having trouble keeping my poi on a straight track when attempting butterflies and the ideas in this thread are AWESOME. Thanks!

HOP Newsletter