fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
now im not sure about the ethical implications of this but when i was walking through the town centre i seen a homeless guy and nobody would give him money, a little further down the street and i see a busker with a hell of a lot of money. so it got me thinking.

why dont we (and by we i mean somebody possibly the government) give all the homeless people some sort of cheap but easy means of making money, some cheap poi, a set of juggling balls, some devil sticks. the poor little guys would make alot more money, be able to get a decent meal and maybe even some new clothes and it would make the streets alot more interesting.

Any body got any opinions on this??

weavesmiley+ juggle

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
I know in templebar in dublin there's a homeless woman who puts out a cup and teaches herself to play the recorder on the street.
I'd like to see more of that kind of thing.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Cheap and easy means of making money?

Like welfare and shelters?

Sorry, but after living in Romania I have very little sympathy for homeless people in Australia (I know you're UK-based, but I figure the UK is more similar to Australia than Romania in terms of welfare)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Although your idea is noble how much of the money they earn is going to goto drugs or booze? Many of the homeless here in the US actually live off the kindness of strangers and rather well. A kid I was talking to who plays guitar told me in the summer he makes 300+ a day from tourist in the city. Thats more then what I make in 4 days of work and its Tax Free. But at least he is providing a service unlike some other homeless in the city.

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
....why not pay them to pick up trash? Oh yeah, they would rather sit on the corner with some cardboard......

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
But they picked the cardboard out of the trash Poje

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
It is but that doesn't stop some people becoming homless and there are cases where the government can not help them in terms of welfare, whether its that persons fault or not. I think the problem would be that you are never sure of the reasons why they are on the street, whether they are actually homeless or just after a bit of extra cash. I know of a couple of people who use begging as a form of income as well as being on benefits.

on a side note i give money to buskers but not a begger just sitting there outside the bank or other shop. If i have enough spare money i will buy them a bottle of water and see if they want something to eat, but i have not done this in a few years

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
I agree you can never know the true reason for why they are homeless without talking to them.

Max is a vietnam vet that could not stand being indoors. He lived in my town for years, sleeping on the street and NOT begging for money. He had money and enough to live off of for awhile but he choose to live on the streets. I use to talk with him and he told me some of the coolest stories until he died on winter night in a courtyard of an insurance company. It was sad and I do miss talking with him but in my heart he died outside where he wanted to be. He had the brightest blue eyes anyone has ever had. Never drank or smoked and had the softest voice. He would have been the first person to die for you without knowing you and most people just thought he was a Bum.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
We have/had a couple of people like that who people presume are nuts and a bum, but if you take the time to talk to them you find out their stories. Most of the time it doesn't come out until they are found dead and an artical is done on them in the local paper, its rather sad

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I read (please correct me if I'm wrong) that some homeless in Amsterdam get given special radio phones that can only be used to contact the police and are used to report local crime, they can earn money helping the community by being a constant eyes and ears for the police and help keep street crime down.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Lau_Shadow_BoxerSILVER Member
~ Cup Cakes and Faerie Lights ~
110 posts
Location: Portsmouth, Uk / Kowloon, Hong Kong / Auckland, Ne...

Posted:
Aye my flat mate did a documentary on Homelessness around Portsmouth, and it was really interesting - we did have lots of homeless in our our for a couple of weeks, but you find out that there are lots of reasons why people end up on the streets. I have to say tho, most of the time my opinion is still "Get up off your ass n get a job". I was homelss for about 3 months last year, luckily I had friends to go and crash with - but I also had a job.

"They say it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile; thus smiling is for pansies" - The Short Gorilla

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

I read (please correct me if I'm wrong) that some homeless in Amsterdam get given special radio phones that can only be used to contact the police and are used to report local crime, they can earn money helping the community by being a constant eyes and ears for the police and help keep street crime down.

HAHA thats cool, Makes me think of Oblivion and the theives guild.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
For anyone of the opinion that homeless people should just make the effort, on their behalf I'd like to say a heartfelt F*** YOU!

Not everyone on the streets is 100% healthy, or capable of the inhuman effort needed to get through the system and into housing and employment. For many, alcohol or other drugs are the only option short of suicide for taking the edge off a miserable existence.

I recently had to go through the process of getting housing benefit, and found out that while landlords expect rent to be payed a month up front, along with a month's deposit, the housing benefit is only payed a month in arrears, which means anyone wanting to get off the streets will need to pull maybe £1000 out of thin air to stop being homeless.

Getting temporary acommodation in a hostel is expensive (not to mention the staff may be complete a-holes who frequently violate your human rights, the local hostel has had people return to the streets rather than put up with the staff), and if you do manage it alongside regular benefits, then it's going to take a long time to put together £1000 to move onto the next step.

Add to that possible mental health problems (that are frequently a cause of homelessness), and you simply have no idea of the effort it would take to deal with the people in the benefits office.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.