Forums > Help! > Oggz vs. FlowPoi Duo

Login/Join to Participate

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
everything I have seen regarding Oggz is positive. however, I am torn between those and the FlowPoi Duo. Does anyone have a preference between the two?

Oggz
+ soft shell
+ its rounded shape allows you to do all the same moves as your regular poi
+ more colors

- not as bright as Duo
Duo
+ super bright
+ shape looks like snakes
+ with Duo, there is a wider change of patterns

- ? are they too long to easily do buzzsaws, barrel rolls, and inversions?
- ? how safe is the casing? Ive heard the rubber end cap can inadvertently come off?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
For those like me who hadnever heard of either...

Oggz

Flowpoi duo

It would seem that the oggz would need to be put in a translucent sock? Then would work like any other glowball/sock combination...

The flowpoi duo have ready made handles but from the pic here, no swivels. I have had glowies that look to be a similar length to these, with no swivels and have found them clumsy especially when doing anything like stalls, other than ordinary round and round basic stuff. Also these seem to have particularly short handles, another limitation on variation.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
I actually have both, bought them both at the same time actually. I love them both, for different reasons. But to answer your question.. I say get the Duo's first and the oggz later.

There's just SO MUCH more light in the Duos, its crazy. They have 10 different modes in the flowlights so some really awesome patterns can be created. Also, as far as the light colors you get, i'd recommend you stay away from the "fire" as they are very very overshadowed by the "water" color and not nearly as bright... I haven't seen the "earth" ones in person yet but imagine they would also be better than the "fire" ones.

As far as the technical aspects of the Duo's... One of the best things about them is the lights run off AAA batteries, so you can ALWAYS have more cheap batteries with you and they burn for a LONG time on one battery. Yes the end caps can come off, HOWEVER that's usually cuz they are dirty and i didn't bother to punch them on tight before spinning. If you keep the ends clean (inside) and every once in a while tap them on firmly you'll be just fine. The handle's are kind of short but that has a lot to do with the heads being so long. I find the overall length to be just fine (i'm actually going to buy some triples soon). And yes you can do buzzsaws and hyperloops with them, i even do airwraps with no problems. In fact 1 degree tangles of any kind work really well if you tangle right where the string comes out of the light casing. Swivels WOULD help overall but i don't think they suffer much from not having them. As far as doing stalls, no problem whatsoever. I LOVE stalls and these, in my opinion, are easier to do quick stalls with than my fire heads or practice poi.

So yeah, Duos for the win, you will love them. However they DO hurt when you hit yourself (so don't).

As for the Oggz, they are in no way a bad choice. Yes they are soft, rechargeable which is awesome, and the fade is pretty cool. They are pretty light but not to bad. The strings are adjustable which is cool. (you can buy Oggz poi from flowtoys, strings, handles and all attached for you) Only bad thing about rechargeables... you have to charge them so if they die when you are out and about.. you lose. I love these poi as well, but they won't do for a weekend away or a burn..unless you use them sparingly.

Btw, the handles FlowToys makes are fantastic, they are soft, sturdy and lovely to spin with, best handles on anything glowy i've ever spun and i've spun a lot.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
That's a great review, Imbalance! Inspires me to get some! I have never yet found good glowies that didn;t break easily so that's really helpful.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
newgabe:
my apologies for not providing you all the information regarding the two types. But, uberthanks for providing the supplement.

Imbalance:
THANk-A YOU-eY! That was a perfect answer to my question (and kind of the one I was hoping for too) Unfortunately, Flowtoys is out of the Water lights right now and hasnt released the Earth lights yet. Worse yet, HoP isnt carrying them. frown;) So, it looks like Ill have to be patient a lil while longer. I didnt like the idea of Fire lights anyways. Ive got kerosene for that. biggrin What I really want to see is the other colors like Magic and Air.

Now I have to figure out where Im going to get the money for those. pricey-ouch.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Does anybody have good photos of the flowpoi duo's? I'm also considering getting a pair and I'm trying to figure out what colors to get.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Flowtoys itself has demonstations that will amply show you what the duo can do. smile
EDITED_BY: squid (1192742861)

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
I would highly advise AGAINST getting the Fire color, unless you have money to burn... it just doesn't show up anywhere close to as well as the Water color. I have both water and fire in my duos and when spinning you can see the fire ones but they are just so dull in general. I've been told this has something to do with the wavelength of red light in general.

I haven't seen the new Earth colors, but i can't imagine they'd be worse than the Fire, so i'd recommend either getting all water, or water and earth.

And yes, there is a great demo of all 10 modes that the flowlights can do on the flowtoys website. Here's the link https://www.flowtoys.com/pages.php?pageid=10

there were some pictures taken of me spinning at Transformus if I can find em again i'll link em... they weren't the best though, the photographer was a bit to flash happy...

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I'm aware of the demonstrations. They demonstrate one color, which is not useful at all for comparisons.

Thanks for the advice, Imbalance. Hopefully they'll put together some photos when they release the Earth colors, because that'd be swell useful.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
here's the pictures. These aren't the greatest in the word, i was standing very near a torch and the photographer had his flash on max AND was really really close.. soooo oh well. But you can still see the lights. I had the Water's on "bead" mode i believe and the Fire's on "Bounce". In poi the fire is higher up towards the string. I have the waters faceing opposite directions so the end of one shows green and the other blue. There's a few pictures before and after the one linked, just scroll through. Notice that you can nearly never see the red? its there for sure, but even with that flash the blue/green of the water stands out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larslarsen/899078336/in/set-72157600988506233/

and as for the sloppy patterns... well it was about 4am and I was decidedly NOT sober....
EDITED_BY: Imbalance (1192893612)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I can see what you mean though. The red adds a nice touch, but its not strong enough to compete with the other colors.

btw, I love the tennis balls on the end of your fire chains. Thats a great soft,visible counterweight for throwing. Was there any special trick you used to attach them? I love doing throws but its hard to find the handle in the dark.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
actually that's not me with the fire, only pics of me on there are the Glow ones. That's my bud Conway from Richmond VA. I believe he used small hole, nut/washer/bolt and had a slit in the other side to tighten with, i could be wrong (see aforementioned comment about not being sober...)

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
man! those flowpoi are seriously wicked. must get some flowpoi as soon as humanly possible. smile

son's dental appointment comes first, i guess, then should be mine, but hey, greying, dead tooth? no one can even see it .. but they *would* be able to see very cool flowpoi. rotfl! ubbrollsmile biggrin

when i grow up, i want to be a circus freak.

the7thfollowerSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
i would like to know if anyone has seen the earth colors yet because i was thinking about getting a pair of those. its good to know that the fire colors arent too great.

the new air colors (white blue white) were just released also

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm flowtoys *drools* my friend has them - bliss to spin with and very pretty. james...the lucky owner of said poi said that earth colours wernt very strong and get drowned out a bit by other colours.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Has anyone used the 'Air' colour (white, blue, white) Im tempted to get some, either in air or water colours

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
yeah, just got some. very bright... very white... lol. haven't tried the earth's yet

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I got water, and I love them! I also got Oggs, and I love them too. I think people should have both. The way I play with them is quite different because of the difference in wieght and shape.

So get both. And I also got double length of the flow lights, which is really beautiful like wings or something, in the trails of light.

love these toys!!!!!!!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
At the risk of sounding old... Anyone remember Streetlights?

Look on the Neon Husky website.

Waaaay cheaper for a pair, many more colour combos, similar effect, but rather brittle. Luckily they fit tightly in standard 3/4 inch silicon aquarium tubing that can be drilled to add loops.

*Mumblegrumblenewfangledoverpricedcopycatproducts*

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Hello Polythene.. I met you once smile

I believe Flowtoys use an evolution of streetlight containing poi/ staff.. they originated using Streetlights, but they have since developed their own light sources for their toys, or Streetlights have made a more durable product smile

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
Yeah, flowlights are like streetlights time 100. I used to use/have TONS of streetlight, but honestly they kinda suck. Batteries are crazy expensive, only 2 or 3 modes depending on the series you buy, and they are notorious for cracking and cutting off when tapped together.

Flowlights fix all these problems, so honestly they are worth it. Plus, if you use rechargable batteries with the flowlights they will (within about 2 battery uses) come out FAR cheaper than any streetlight.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i spun flowtoys once, and had a look at'em. they were streelights, just not nearly as brittle as far as i could tell

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
then you spun the old form. Flowtoys used to use streetlights in their products. But no longer, they have MUCH better lights now called Flowlights. Custom made/designed, with more modes, better battery life etc. go check the site.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Groovy smile (shows how long I've been away!)

Cheap batteries were one of the reasons I liked the streetlights though... I didn't think £3 for a pack of 10 (including delivery!) was bad shrug

Hello Chutney smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Is there any point getting the flowpoi duo with only 2 flowlights? It takes the price up another $20, and would also double the battery usage.

However is there any point getting the duo and spinning empty shells?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
if you plan on having just 1 flowlight and 1 blank shell in each poi, then no, don't buy the Duos. If you want to have 2 flowlights per poi then yes, buy the Duos. I have a set of duos with a water and a fire in each and love them. (though i wish I would have gotten a different color instead of the Fire since its a bit washed out by the water one). The casing is good and sturdy, there's enough string left to do hyperloops and airwraps and such.

More lights of course adds battery usage but seriously... AAA batteries are cheap and if you get the rechargeables, then even cheaper.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks Imbalance. Think im going to stick with my oggz and colecords. Was thinking about selling and getting the duos but they come to about £70 with shipping and taxes

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I have finally caved and ordered flowpoi duo. (2 water, 2 air)

smile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Geeza

I have finally caved and ordered flowpoi duo. (2 water, 2 air)

smile

I have the exact same duos, they arrived a week ago and am loving them!

Don't have any photos just yet, but shall try and get some up smile

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"