Forums > Technical Discussion > Newbie Here Needs Help BAD!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

TribalBeatsSiouxSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
Ok, I have been using sock poi to get by with until I could get chain poi. I finally got my chain poi that I ordered from another site (I know, my BAD!!) I just got them in the post today and I am NOT happy with them. They are a tennis ball shorter than my sock and I can not do crap with them.

So the question I am asking is what do you people here suggest I get to learn with. I want to eventually go into fire, but can not have fire heads at work.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Was that "BAD" or "URGENT"? However:

Non-Https Image Link

I dunno how short your sockpoi are, so I have no idea why you can't do crap with your new ones.

Suggestion 1) Contact that other site and ask whether you can return them, as being unhappy for good reasons - AND THEN GET THOSE FROM HoP wink

Suggestion 2) Stick with them anyway and get used to the length (depending on... well HOW long are they?)

[Old link].... but never, under no circumstances admit that you were wrong at any given time! This is essential! Throw out some personal attacks and irrelevant facts instead - after all that's what he's suggesting on bottom of page 2.

Say something like "YOU MADE ME BUY the wrong poi at the wrong site! and this on a SUNDAY at 4:45pm! NOW YOU HAVE TO FIX IT!"

Yes, use capital letters...

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

72 posts

Posted:
Well, my sock poi almost brushes the ground when I hold them and the chain poi I got barely hits the beginning of my ankle.

You bet your arse that I am going to contact the other and let them know I am not happy with my purchase.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
BTW I like your avatar...

Do your new poi reach your armpits, when holding them in your hands?

72 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

BTW I like your avatar...

Do your new poi reach your armpits, when holding them in your hands?

Why thank you Fire tom biggrin

My new poi does not go to my arm pit, there is like a 2 1/2 inch space between the ball and my pit.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
That should be long enough to work with...

Maybe give it a shot, address some questions to NYC. If you're used to a certain length, it might just be a little harder at first, but like Nutella - you might get addicted to it after some while wink

Trust me, there's a lot of stuff you can do with poi of aprox. 2 ft. in length... you'll be amazed.

smile

If it continues to bug you - adding a swivel at the head might give you another inch in compensation.

btw - there is a Help section tongue
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1191036340)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Yet again the superiorness of HOP is proved.
There is a rumour than HOP po may come with marmite in the future wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
if you truly can't stand them then do send them back but my vote is keep them and learn with them. 2 inches isn't really a huge deal and you can always add a swivel as suggested above.

I constantly tell people to have lots of different poi, in weight, length and type. This way you learn much more variety in your spinning. You'll find that certain types and lengths of poi help with certain types of moves. Short poi are GREAT for fast spinning and really cool quick stalls and such.

My vote, if it CAN spin, it's worth keeping.

actually, this morning I looked over at the counter and noticed some apples I bought recently in the little plastic bag deals that you put produce in.. i put one apple in each bag and proceeded to do a couple minutes of impromptu breakfast spinning in the kitchen. Felt weird as the bags weigh NOTHING and the apples are rather heavy comparatively... but they were short, fast, fun, AND tasty. wink

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

72 posts

Posted:
Funny you said that. I was at the market and got 2 lemons and put them in seperate bags and was spinning them around in the produce isle.

Written by: Imbalance

actually, this morning I looked over at the counter and noticed some apples I bought recently in the little plastic bag deals that you put produce in.. i put one apple in each bag and proceeded to do a couple minutes of impromptu breakfast spinning in the kitchen. Felt weird as the bags weigh NOTHING and the apples are rather heavy comparatively... but they were short, fast, fun, AND tasty. wink

72 posts

Posted:
Thank you all who responded. It eased me on this.

When I get home from work, I will play around with them a bit.

72 posts

Posted:
Okie dokie people, I added quick links and I can spin heeps better now that they are longer biggrin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
yay..happy spinning weavesmiley ubbrollsmile biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Lol.... um.... sweetie.... the difference between my practice zuni-poi and my chains is at least a good foot, foot and a half. A 2 inch difference is going to feel like a huge difference when you first play with them, but remember, it could be worse- it could be a HUGE difference (like a foot!). It could just be that you're subconsciously dependent on your practice set and are mildly intimidated by both the difference in length and weight of the chains compared to your practice poi (I'm not saying that to be cruel- I really didn't like my chains the first time I got them because I thought they were too short!)

I say keep playing with them and your sock poi. Take your sock poi and wrap them around your hands once or twice to choke them down to a smaller length. This will give you a short poi, while still keeping you in a subconscious comfort zone that these are still your "safe" and "favorite" poi. Vary up the lengths a bit from time to time so you find a good groove while not becoming overly dependent on one length, just as much as you should vary up your poi from time to time so you don't become dependent on one set (like spinning those lemons!)

Believe me, though, the smaller your poi get, the more weird and interesting things get in my opinion. I just got to see a good friend do the strangest polyrhythmic stuff with a set of uber-short sock poi (*12" ish max after he choked them down a bit) as well as doing the neatest flowers by shooting his hands out into the flower to make a sort of oval as opposed to a circle. Short poi totally exaggerated all of the motions and really highlighted the difference in his actions, whereas longer poi would have been more subtle.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i have a set of quite long poi and a set of really short poi and i love both, just a matter of getting used to them smile play aroudn and see what style suits yourself really is my only advice smile

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Hey, TribalBeatsSioux.... any updates as to what you did and how it's working out for you?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

72 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

Hey, TribalBeatsSioux.... any updates as to what you did and how it's working out for you?

Extending the length of the chain poi is helping me quite a bit.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Everyone finds their favourite length. I like 'em pretty short these days, personally. It just doesn't feel right if my chains are too long...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

72 posts

Posted:
I just like the longer length for learning because it goes slower for me.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Things like fluffy poi heads are really helpful too, believe me! biggrin

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

72 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Invader Xan

Things like fluffy poi heads are really helpful too, believe me! biggrin

Funny you mentioned those, I was thinking of getting them when I get paid this weekend.

HOP Newsletter