Forums > Social Chat > Fruity loops... help people!

Login/Join to Participate

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
Hey. I just got Fruity Loops, the synth/mixer thing, and I kno how to use it, but... I have looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find a program to read most of the sound files. Programs like .fst .ds .nfo .syn .flp will not read or play at all. Is there any program that I could download that would read these types of files? If u kno of anything, help me....pleeease....lol, thanx

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I can't really give you a good answer without knowing/seeing your set up but if you want my advice you should try to get hold of a copy of Reason and learn to produce on that instead. It's got a very usable interface and has so much to it it will always meet your needs as you get more serious. If you have a Mac desktop then use Logic as that is what most professional producers are using these days. What version of Fruity Loops have you just got? If it isn't version 3 then download that instead, it's still very user friendly and has more plug in capabilities.

If you need any technical help or want a copy of reason I can sort you out in a month or so when my uni finals finish, so pm me then if you still want it. In the meantime, the drum and bass website I go on a lot has a production forum (the grid) where people help each other out on so I recommend registering there. It's www.dogsonacid.com.

Hope that helps, good luck mate

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Shows how much I know - was expecting this tread to be about breakfast cerial!

Froot loops all the way! Speshly like the purple ones,..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
me too actually..

lol

i prefered the green ones personally.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Teh reason you cant open those files is cuz they arent sound files. Try opening them in a txt editor...cuz at least .nfo is a txt file.

good luck

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
NFO is a text file, not a sound file, so use wordpad for that as Josh suggested.

The others are indeed sound files, but they don't contain sound information...they contain preset settings for for synthesizers. SYN is a Simsynth file, and DS is a Drumsynth file. You can use read and use these files in your songs, but to edit them you need the specific programs.

FLP is a fruityloops song file, so you can't open it elsewhere, and I think FST is some kind of effects preset.

Hope that helps.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Dear loop head,

When you've got your loop finished and you set out how long you want it to be, one then turns to the FILE button top left, then one clicks on EXPORT, then WAV or MP3. Then you got your shiny new track in a format that everything can read. And Bob was that guy that your father told you was his brother but never sent you christmass prezzies.

Gluck Mot.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
133 posts

Posted:
Well, I have version 3, and it has a heck of a lot of files to it, which is great. But, when I try to use them, there just isn't any sound. I thought that I needed something else to read them, but i dunno. I'm doin fine without them though, just wondering if i could find a way to use those files. Thanx for the input everyone... unless u were talking about cereal...then damn you. Cause now i got the muchies....

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
133 posts

Posted:
Hey...figured everything out..well, not everything.

When you hold shift or alt or ctrl or something down and then use the mouse and drag a line on the playlist, it makes it red....what the heck is that for.....

884 posts

Posted:
That's how you select sections of the playlist for the purposes of copying and pasting, which is a lot easier than laying down column after column of dots.

Also, if you highlight a few rows and play the song, it will loop within that block, so you can tweak stuff without having to constantly rewind.

884 posts

Posted:
Also, the demo manual is available here...it should get you started and answer all your basic questions.

Did you not d/l the full manual when you got your authorization? Or are you working with a ripped copy?

JohnnyDmember
13 posts

Posted:
Most of the files you mention are designed to be imported into fruity loops, not exported out. As someone mentioned above, when you've made ur tune, set the start and end points and then hit Export. This will give you a nice long wave file ready for you to master and then cut onto CD/Vinyl/MD/MP3/whatever.

Or as someone else mentioned, get Reason. It is far better but I reckon there's still a lot to be got from the likes of fruity loops/rebirth, etc..

Oh, if you get Reason, make sure you get Recycle and Soundforge as well, as you will need them too - if you are at all serious about making tunes properly.

Good luck dude.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I love fruity loops!!! I started messing around on that program one night and couldn't stop!!! It's an addiction! My friends had to literally pry my hands from the keyboard!

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....