• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Kyle03
SILVER Member since Dec 2006

Kyle03

The super duper uber looper

Total posts: 119
Posted:Why doesn't superglue stick to the inside of the tube

Don't make someone your priority if they only make you an option.

Delete Topic

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:Because there's no water in there.

Superglue reacts with water to set, so unless you leave the top off the tube for a while, there'll not be enough atmospheric water in the tube for it to set.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

Fire_Moose
SILVER Member since May 2007

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Total posts: 3597
Posted:there ya go.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

Skulduggery
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain

Total posts: 8428
Posted:Bov, I ubblove You! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete

Wooktastic
BRONZE Member since Jan 2007

Wooktastic

the kicker of elves

Total posts: 371
Posted:Also, seeing as it was designed for making repairs to the space shuttle, it wasn't designed to be used within the atmosphere.
The presence of oxygen makes it set in a way that's a lot more brittle than it should. Which is why it's actually quite easy to break the bond.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Delete

PinkNigel

PinkNigel

Pinker than thou

Total posts: 336
Posted:Huh? I heard it was developed for use instead of stitches.. But I can't verify that source, so I could be talking nonsense.. Then again, how much atmospheric water is there in space?

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Delete

Fire_Moose

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Posted:If you heat it up it will release fumes that will bond to oils left by your skin. makes fingerprinting odd objects easier.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:I don't think that is why it was made but athletes discovered this purpose
Just like preperation H gets rid of puffy eyes

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Fire_Moose

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Posted:preperation H had many uses, including getting rid of puffy eyes, and wrinkles and so on. But in order to market all those other uses the company would have had to go thru the FDA(Might be wrong organization) for tests and such. So instead of marketing this wonder cream they took out the ingrediant that (from what i remember) pulled out moisture from the skin. Although i beleive in Canada you can still get the stuff with that ingrediant

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

DarkFyre
BRONZE Member since Nov 2005

DarkFyre

HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs

Total posts: 1965
Posted:Superglue was made for quick stiches and was first implemented in the Vietnam War and thats about all I know about it.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:Actually, according to wikipedia, it was discovered while trying to make plastic lenses for gun sights and first marketed as glue - all the other uses were found afterwards.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

darkness-before
GOLD Member since Apr 2007

darkness-before

Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors

Total posts: 197
Posted:The superglue/stitchesreference I believe is actually in a couple of films the only one i can name off the cuff being dog soldiers )(brittish film with the ginger guy from train spotting) where its said "you ever wonder why superglue sticks to your fingers btter than anything else? Its cus it was made fo the vietnam war for patching soldiers back together" not an exact qoute but illustrates my point.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Delete

Kyle03

Kyle03

Posted:When I had my appendix removed they used desolvable stitches with a glue like substance over it, not sure if it was superglue

Delete

JonnyRok
BRONZE Member since May 2005

JonnyRok

Look! I'm Darth Bunny!

Total posts: 446
Posted:Ah, fun with superglue, its amazing what you can get to stick to each other...

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted: Written by: Peanut

When I had my appendix removed they used desolvable stitches with a glue like substance over it, not sure if it was superglue

Unless you had it out in a back alley, the chances of actual super glue being used in a modern day medical procecure? Slim tongue

Superglue is often thought as..well, super.

Its not. It dosnt glue biscuit fired ceramics (or anything else hard and porous), and it fogs up acrylic too, not to mention being an absoloute arse to get off your fingers.

I much prefer Milliput - you can even use this stuff under water.

Plain old PVA is ace too.

Waterd down a little and applied properly, it can be just as strong as superglue, and its tonnes cheaper!

I'm debating glues? confused

What has my life come to ubblol

EDITED_BY: Aime (1183821289)

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:They use what looks and acts like superglue on scalp wounds in kids.

Nice Aimee...whats your fave cow? I like Jerseys best I think.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

Aurinko
BRONZE Member since Aug 2006

Aurinko

hello!

Total posts: 1034
Posted: Written by: JonnyRok

Ah, fun with superglue, its amazing what you can get to stick to each other...

yes, once I glued newspaper to my fingers, then I glued my fingers to my goggles, and another time I "close-glued" a pair so scissors, so one can't open it any more

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

Delete

Kyle03

Kyle03

Posted:There is a product called q bond that is a marvil and wil stick anything 2 anything, trust me i knw frm lots of experience

Delete

PinkNigel

PinkNigel

Pinker than thou

Total posts: 336
Posted: Written by: Aime

Unless you had it out in a back alley, the chances of actual super glue being used in a modern day medical procecure? Slim tongue

Why not? Swarfega is still used for cleaning wounds; a solvent, so useful for thingss like road traffic accidents where there may be oil in wounds, and antisceptic too...

And as for sticking odd things togethe.. I once managed to stick my finger to my navel jewellry with superglue...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:Nigel, what I was implying was the improbabilty of nurses cracking open a tube of household superglue on a patients wounds.

What they would have is probably something similar but which isnt irritant, is sterile, and which isnt available in a hardware store...

I found this article "Medical type of Super Glue may replace stitches", which was posted in 1997! Interesting reading but dosnt really go into the make-up of the glue.

Wiki didnt shead much light either, it mearly just copied bits from this Q+A.

Delete