DarkSergeGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Ok there is this move that I have seen a few people do and ive tryed it but can't figure out how to get into it at all...

So the move is ...like your arms are crossed infront of you and the poi is spinning infront and behind you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NXq1TP5nuXI

at 50 sec in this video he does it....first can someone tell me what its called and any tips on how to do it would be great...Thanks much

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
that'd be hugs, or crossers they're sometimes called.

I practised these first by spinning in the side planes with my arms crossed to get them clean, in the two positions you alternate between as you twist your torso.

Then try transitioning between the two positions, first with one poi, then with two

eventually you should be able to carry out the move with your arms crossed, simply moving your torso from left to right.

umm its not a great description of how to learn it really... can anyone else do better?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
its a brain fudge, it gets confused because your arms are crossed, I recomend you hit yourself in the head a few more times, should do it. i.e. concios turning, not just winging around and hopeing.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DarkSergeGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
YaY!!! I freaking learned it...

Just was doing a butterfly then was like hmm and took one hand back and then the other followed and i was like WOW!!! then it was ez lol!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Ok, let me have a go at an explanation... this is the way Simian taught me. Spin forwards in side planes, split time, with your arms crossed. Now work out how to turn 180 degrees with it, so you're spinning backwards, but keeping your arms crossed. I found that if your left hand is on top when your spinning with crossed arms, turning right is easier, and vice versa (personal choice though). The tricky part is not to go into a weave, but to keep your arms crossed at all times.

Once you've got that, try going from backwards to forwards in the same way. You'll find the forwards to backwards transition feels like it's done low (at the bottom of the swing), and the backwards to forwards one feels like it's done high, like a fountain.

Now just keep practising forwards to backwards, then backwards to forwards, and keep taking beats out till your doing a change with every beat of each poi. When you can do it every beat, you'll end up facing 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the planes (again like a fountain) and swapping forwards to backwards every time. That's huggys. you can do it with either hand on top, turning either direction.

Hope that made some sense...

Good luck! smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Hairy TaitBRONZE Member
109 posts

Posted:
I watch videos like this and realise how much of a novice I still really am... I can't seem to get that control with my socks at all (isolations) I don't know if they're heavy enough.... just tennis balls in socks... not great really... Do you think the weight of th poi actually matters, or am I ust making excuses for my lack of skill....?

lots of practice methinks...!!
EDITED_BY: Hairy Tait (1181479372)

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Weight doesn't matter that much, but that said, learning certain moves IS easier with heavier poi (like isolations). Once you've got them, it makes no difference, but personally I find heavier easier. All my poi are fairly heavy.

But yes, lots of practise.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

DarkSergeGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Ya i learned isolations with glowsticks...spent like 7 hours after a dude showed me how just trying them. Then when i got my oggz it was like OMG they are so much ezer with these lol =P

any yay for reverse thread the needle into a hug...just got that down too =D