Your personal information you provide will be transfered and stored as encrypted data.
You have the ability to update and remove your personal information.
No financial information is stored by us.
You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.
Allow cookies for
Necessary Cookies Necessary Cookies cannot be unchecked, because they are necessary for our website to function properly. They store your language, currency, shopping cart and login credentials.
Analytics Cookies We use google.com analytics and bing.com to monitor site usage and page statistics to help us improve our website. You may turn this on or off using the tick boxes above.
Marketing Cookies Marketing Cookies do track personal data. Google and Bing monitor your page views and purchases for use in advertising and re-marketing on other websites. You may turn this on or off using the tick boxes above.
Social Cookies These 3rd Party Cookies do track personal data. This allows Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest integration. eg. shows the Facebook 'LIKE' button. They will however be able to view what you do on our website. You may turn this on or off using the tick boxes above.
Posted:This is encouraging, though solar still has a long way to go. The only countries with serious solar generation have subsidised it to the hilt. The time to break-even on a current photovoltaic solar panel in this country is around a thousand years. Water heating solar panels breakeven in about 20. We need improvements of several orders of magnitude, in price per Kw.
Still, impressive technology. Photosynthesis is neat but doesn't come near the efficiency of solid-state electronics.
The efficiency of photosynthesis is determined by the following:
1. At least eight photons are required to store one molecule of CO2 which means 1665 kJ of light energy are required to store 477 kJ in the plant. Max efficiency is 0.286 or 28.6 %
2. Only light in the range 400-700 nm can be used. This amounts to 43% of total solar incident radiation.
3. Canopy limits absorption to 80 %
4. Respiration required for translocation and biosynthesis requires about 33% of the energy stored which leaves 67%
The overall efficiency is then .286x.43x.8x.67 = .066 or 6.6%