Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I received this email from a fellow board member at Church of the Earth and thought that maybe some of you soft-hearted HoPpers out there would be willing to help...

~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feel free to help with this card-making project (in the message copied below). This is wonderful way to teach children about caring for their fellow human beings, and about wish fulfillment. It may take a village to raise a child, but it often takes a child to make a wish come true! Be as pagan in your sentiments as you wish.

You may mail the cards directly to Shane, or mail them to Donna Brown, Wilton Elementary School, 2555 Highway 96, Franklinton NC 27525 for her to mail them as she offers in the email below.

Have fun,

Su

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Original Message from Donna Brown (a co-worker at Su's school) 04/16/07 9:51 PM >>>

Good Morning Staff,

My daughter, Megan, is in Alpha Delta Pi Sorority at East Carolina University. They support the Ronald McDonald House and many other good causes. One thing they are doing right now is trying to send birthday cards to a little boy named Shane Bernier in Canada who is dying of acute lymphoblastic leukemia. He was diagnosed when he was 5 and he is now 7. Shane is trying to beat the world record for the most birthday cards ever received. His goal is 350 million cards. He has already received 125,000+ cards. His birthday is May 30th. Make A Wish Foundation is also a part of this activity.

Would you be willing to have each student in your class send him a card? I'll be glad to mail them for you if you would like. Here is the mailing address if you would like to send them:

Shane Bernier

PO Box 484

Lancaster, Ontario

K0C 1N0

Canada

Here is the website so that you read his bio and show the class who is receiving the cards!

www.shaneswish.com

Please share this activity with your student's parents, your friends, family, church members and neighbors. Passing this word along will help make this child's wish come true. What a little thing we can do to put a smile on his face.

Thanks for your help in making this little boy's dream come true.

Donna

Su Leone

RPH-Moderator (groups.yahoo. com/group/ Raleigh_Pagan_ Homeschoolers)

COTE-Fire (www.cote-nc. org)

Musicians Royale-Singer (www.ncrenfaire. org)

Leader, COTE Drum Circle

E-mail Address: LadySuWindsong at aol dot com

www.ladywindsong. comnull

EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1177167590)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
The correct link

Apparantly no hoax...

[sic] *writes address on postcard*
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1177166759)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't post it if it was a hoax...and the boy is asking for nothing but some birthday cards...

Sorry, didn't realize that the link wasn't working...and thank you, Tom...is much appreciated!!!
EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1177167549)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
In light of all this natural resource depletion and global warming talk ( and the Chris Jordan thread ) I've got to ask....is he also accepting e-cards ?

Lets face it 350 million cards is a lot of paper.

Edit: typo
EDITED_BY: Stout (1177251738)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
A youtubers views on these type of campaigns..

EDITED_BY: Aimée (1177174090)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

Lets face it 350 million cards is a lot of paper.

Well, there are lots of companies that are making cards from recycled material...so do your part and buy one to help it continue and so that it will become more affordable...K???...and to make one little boy happy before he leaves this Earth.

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
those poor postal workers..

I worked briefly with my brother when he was a contractor for canada post during the christmas rush (delievering mail from the main depot in nova scotia to local post offices along most of the south shore of nova scotia)

I imagine they probably had to hire a bunch of new workers just to deal with all that. added bonus I guess for the local economy.