• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Ace2250
BRONZE Member since Jun 2006

Ace2250

Total posts: 19
Posted:Hey any one that is a fire dancer! I would suggest geting lether finger loops cause the orther stuff melts to your fingers!!!! Ouch! ubbcrying (THIS WAS MY FRIEND!!)

PS: "the orther stuff" The ones that come in the fire sets.

Delete Topic

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:What other stuff eek????

You didn't spin with plastic loops?!?

*thinks*

People don't SELL fire poi with plastic loops?!?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

WOFT
SILVER Member since May 2005

Likes trees...

Total posts: 209
Posted:I spin with nylon webbing loops. They take a lot of heat to melt. Leather is safer, of course.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:well, turns out Ace has 2 threads in social chat, and both about getting burned. Maybe it's time to look at how you spin, and go back to playing without fire for a while?

(unless you're just trolling...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

Ace2250

Ace2250

Posted:The stuff that comes in sets.
http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/72_53_Cathedral
weavesmiley

Delete

psycotic_furby
BRONZE Member since Mar 2005

psycotic_furby

Hehe, you said 'Member'

Total posts: 105
Posted:Hmm... I'm trying to work out exactly what you'd need to be doing, in order for the flames to actually reach the fingerloops, and stay there long enough to burn. I'm stumped - What exactly are you doing to get burned, Ace?

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Delete

Rozi
SILVER Member since Jan 2002

100 characters max...

Total posts: 2996
Posted:I would also be incredibly careful about exactly what you are saying. At the moment you are implying that you have a personal injury caused by a product either supplied by or similar to a product supplied by this site.

Firstly, if this is the case, I suggest you address this with the supplier rather than on a bulletin board.

Secondly, if the injury was caused by a set bought from somewhere other than HoP, I suggest you amend your post to make that clear.

Thirdly, keep in mind that if you have been using the product in a way not intended by the supplier, and then present this to others as though the injury was caused by the product, you could be open to legal action.

Would you like to amend your comment and/or supply further information?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Delete

Ace2250

Ace2250

Posted:Hey the 1st one was 2 1/2 months ago and the melted handles was my firend!!! mad2 mad2

Delete

Ace2250

Ace2250

Posted:First I dident det burned and 2nd she actdentaly caught it.

Delete

Ace2250

Ace2250

Posted: Written by: Rozi

I would also be incredibly careful about exactly what you are saying. At the moment you are implying that you have a personal injury caused by a product either supplied by or similar to a product supplied by this site.

Firstly, if this is the case, I suggest you address this with the supplier rather than on a bulletin board.

Secondly, if the injury was caused by a set bought from somewhere other than HoP, I suggest you amend your post to make that clear.

Thirdly, keep in mind that if you have been using the product in a way not intended by the supplier, and then present this to others as though the injury was caused by the product, you could be open to legal action.

Would you like to amend your comment and/or supply further information?

What are you talking about??? And it was my friend and why would I take legal action. confused2 confused2

Delete

Bek66

Bek66

Future Mrs Pogo

Total posts: 4728
Posted:Okay...carefully and easily, here.

I believe what was being said was that legal action could be taken against you for slander.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Delete

BansheeCat
BRONZE Member since Jul 2005

veteran

Total posts: 1247
Posted:The simplest way a burn like that to the hands is if someone has accidently gotten fuel on the handles without being aware of it. Sometimes people are careless while spinning off and or fueling up...Then passing flame like during a wrap, can ignite it. (We use white gas or white gas/lamp oil combos, and handle it very carefully , dont know if parafin would be the same risk...)

If the handles feel wet, or anyone is worried there might be fuel on them, we just pass the lighter close over the surface to check before they are one your hands... This may be even more important if you use the single loop style that is tricky to get off your hands when both poi are flaming. My handles are leather though.

But it does sound like whatever happened, both you and your friend should take some extra care around your fire safety techniques!I come across as a bit paranoid to some of my more casual spinning friends,always using a full fire safety kit etc, but I think it is worth it. I have seen a few really nasty burns out there, but none of the people I spin with have ever burned ourselves at all. Or burned anything else, unintentionally! wink

Hope you heal up well, best wishes!
~A

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Delete

sketch
GOLD Member since May 2006

sketch

Empirically random...

Total posts: 431
Posted:the only way i know this is possible (without horrifically burning your hand in the process) is if you miss a catch or something and the head lands on / next to the finger loops.
They do get a bit soft by the time you pick them up, but they would have to be there for a while to get that melted. Either way, that is using them outside of the manufacturers reccomendations, so theres not really an issue.
common sense required.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:umm Nice air in here, someone opens a window, please? wink

a) an accident occured - fact.
b) circumstances are unclear to the general audience - fact.
c) no legal action is pending - fact.
d) a warning was issued, not to use nylon fingerloops on fire pois - thank you!

I would like to hear about the exact circumstances... It happened to me ONCE - using dreaded ropes on extremely short chains...

IF the chain is not long enough and/ or the fire is extremely hot, so that flames are coming up AND you are NOT constantly moving your toys, you certainly will get burned.

It's a common beginners mistake: FEAR OF FIRE AND PANIC OF PAIN!

To me fire's like a dog: the more fear you have the worse the injury will be... rolleyes

My advice (to whom it may concern):

NEVER use nylon loops on firechains - AS LONG AS you are NOT completely confident in what you're doing.

IF the flames are getting so high, they touch your fingers - KEEP MOVING/ SPINNING!!! As long as you're spinning, the flames will not affect you.

IF (for whatever freak reason) you lit your toys and suddenly get scared of what you intended to do, want to discontinue spinning - PUT THEM ON THE GROUND, FLAT!!!

Fire is burning up, or in the direction of air/ wind... Basic, easy principles which are easy to deal with when digested...

@ ACE2250: If you are referring to the cathedral pois, sold by HoP - you light them again, with as much kerosene as you can and take a picture of the flames reaching the handles, post it (or the link) here on HoP and I will waste ONE single thought about the safety of THIS PARTICULAR HoP-Product.

Until then I suggest you stop indicating, that HoP sells dangerous products... Thanks wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Ace2250

Ace2250

Posted:I hope no one thinks that I an ampling that HOP products are bad. Because HOP is my favoriteweb site and its my home page. biggrin

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted:wel, hop isnt perfect, i been here for 5 years, but in that time ive had stuff that dosnt work, nickle plated ballchain that flakes off and puts metal splinters into my fingers and I too have seen nylon loops melt onto peaples hands, good experianced firespinners too.

malcom has been great about sorting my problems out, but I too think leather is the best material for handle loops, or cotton rope with a big knot, but not plastic. nyhlon loops arn't very dangerous, but they are a bit dangerous

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:what's the best material to use for finger loops if you're one of those vegan thingies...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:cottony stuff as Nx says. Or have all-wick poi smile Or you can get ones with wooden balls as handles, they're very good for throwing, too smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:i've never seen 'cottony' finger loops is all...

i use leather wrist loops meself so its not like i really need to know but i don't like using knots (gives me achy hands and i don't like the droppage possibility).

if you like double finger loops it seems they pretty much only come in nylon or leather which sucks a bit for people with particular ethics shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:true, I didn't realise you were talking about loops only! But then everyone chooses their ethics and their hobbies, so sometimes you have to find a compromise. Like if you like spinning in boots, you shouldn't use plastic there either, but leather would be out of the question.

I'm sure you could make something up with cotton though smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:could you not make your own pleather ones?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

coleman

coleman

big and good and broken

Posted:but vegans are far too lazy (weak?) for all that diy business wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:oh thats true, i've heard they have green skin too,

just off topic slightly, my form tutor at school was a vegan and she rode her bike to school and had about 8 pet dalmations. Which was cool...but her skin was slightly green, she was always off sick and pronounce the word "volume" as "vo-yoom" which was really really annoying,

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted: Written by: coleman

what's the best material to use for finger loops if you're one of those vegan thingies...?

cole. x

Vegetarian shoes of course!

t wave

p.s. Ive lost all my phone numbers.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted: Written by: jo_rhymes

oh thats true, i've heard they have green skin too,

just off topic slightly, my form tutor at school was a vegan and she rode her bike to school and had about 8 pet dalmations. Which was cool...but her skin was slightly green, she was always off sick and pronounce the word "volume" as "vo-yoom" which was really really annoying,

Vo-yoom? lol I beleive that comes from a lack of protien in your diet. ubbrollsmile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

Stout
SILVER Member since May 2004

Stout

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1872
Posted:The flaming handles accident can be fairly typical if you're playing around with white gas and not treating it with respect? Or might gasoline been involved?

With kerosene, it's reasonably safe to light up if you end up with fuel on your handles, it's not the brightest idea, but it's nowhere near the risk of trying this with a more volatile fuel that has a low flashpoint.

I've seen this accident twice this year, and both times it happened with experienced spinners. One was a kerosene burner who was unaware that this was a hazard, and the other was actually during a show ( in front of 2000 people ) and was attributed to letting someone else "look after" her tools.

And everything BansheeCat said.....

Delete