Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...for the 3rd year in a row I have received an email from the Wife Swap casting director. They want my family to be on the show.

I find it laughable. I have one of *the* most normal families on earth.

Why am I bringing it up? This time they offered me $20,000 and the decision is up to me.

Yes, I am aware that television makes the participants look, well...stupid.
But it might be fun.
And it's 20 grand.

What do you lot think?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
20 grand? holey crap.

Do it. it will pay for Noahs schooling later on!

then send them MY email and say Id be happy to play...*giggles* eek eek ubblol ubblol biggrin biggrin biggrin

plus then I can watch you on the telly!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I find it laughable. I have one of *the* most normal families on earth.

OK, THAT's a lie.

I'd say totally do it BUT consiter that they REALLY try to make "Good TV"... which means that they're going to try to switch families with someone totally different than you. And if they piss you off enough and you get cranky than it's GOOD TV! Or if they piss of your family by having some total bitch stay with them.

Keep in mind that, like all reality TV, it's edited. So you might be yelling at the TV because your favorite football team fumbled and they'll reedit it to make it look like you were yelling at the husband.

So, if you don't mind:
1) Being a pawn.
2) Looking stupid
3) Having the shots reedited to completely misrepresent who you are.
4) Having your life on TV.
5) Having them completely lie about what your life consists of (which they'll obviously do to make it interesting... "PYROMANIAC WITCH")

I say DO IT!

Plus, it's the only way I'd ever get to see you these days!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

My vote's for watching Pele on tv! how awesome would that be! i could go hey! i talked to that chick on the internet before she was cool!

or something.

but yeah, that is *a lot* of money and could make life a lot easier after what? 10 weeks of looking crap on tv? plus the extra promotion could make for more business/higher fees cuz you're extra-famous = more extra cash...

just don't mention HoP or we'll have a huge influx of non-spinning noobs going "OMG Pelez teh co00lz ima go anoyz every1 on that bord!!!111oneone"

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I got the same email this morning eek ubbloco
ubblol

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Valura, that is funny! PWB and I were talking about how we'd use some of the money to pay for N's college. But we also will need to use some for fun too! wink

NYC, it's why I already said I knew that tv made people look stupid, sometimes. PWB admits to being an [censored] and thinks it would be fun to do that for drama purposes on tv.
I'm waiting to see how alte-mommy handles Noah's fits over homework! lol I have so many people I need to make it down to the city to see. But the last time I was down there I believe *you* stood me up...but then again, you were in another country and all. wink

FID, well, when I was on Discovery Channel it did nothing for my career, but it looks spiffy on the resume. And it isn't even 10 weeks on tv. It's one episode after 6 days of filming. It's not even like it will really disrupt life much. And I think that your quote would be "...she's was pretty cool even if an ultra-bitch!" tongue

However, I just landed a huge job, as well as my classes and such...so those would have to be on hold, unless alte-mom wants to give it a shot! ubblol

I think HoP will end up getting a mention on the show, it's a big part of my life you know. wink

There is no garuntee that we'd make it through the selection process, but 3 years now, and this time a very nice personal email! lol

Too funny.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ade

I got the same email this morning eek ubbloco
ubblol

Did yours say you had to live in the US and it was nice to see you at the SSG too? wink tongue

So, you ganna do it? Wait, do you have a kid between 6 and 17? confused

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
nah, mine was a sideshow related email...and no I don't have any kids! and I'm sure i live too far away ubblol

I couldn't think of anything worse actually....

is there any way of getting the 20 grand and NOT be a part of it confused rolleyes ubblol ubblol

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
20 grand :O

DO IT! biggrin

No one will remember it afterwards anyway, friends and family yes, but i doubt you will have complete randoms recognising you all the time smile

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
id say go for it!

but think about what type of family youd be swapping with - what is the complete opposite of your family...

would it be some extreme rednecks? or some ultra close-minded conservative type? (not that i really know you or your family at all just making some guesses wink )

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
6 days!? pft! do it! that's $3333 a day! if it were an adverage 8 hour day that'd be $416 an hour.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

would it be some extreme rednecks? or some ultra close-minded conservative type? (not that i really know you or your family at all just making some guesses wink )

When did you meet my parents (rednecks) and PWB's parents (closed-minded conservative types).
The ones that would throw us for the biggest loop would be the super-hardcore vegan, exercise junkies health nuts. That would be funny as all get out! biggrin

Pele

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
how much did they offer you last year? is it tax free money? works out to a pretty damn good hourly rate, i think itd be uber funny if they swapped jen steele with an uber conservative christian family

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ubblol lucky guess wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

5) Having them completely lie about what your life consists of (which they'll obviously do to make it interesting... "PYROMANIAC WITCH")

Well, that bit's not a lie.
eek
Non-Https Image Link
wink

Written by:

Plus, it's the only way I'd ever get to see you these days!

Yeah, what he said!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ben-ja-min, $10k last year. Nothing the year before.
That's all I know. Even if it's not tax free, it ain't bad for 6 days!

Doc and NYC...I am proud of the witchiness, and the Pyromaniac, yeah, well....only a little. wink Though I think they want me to sleep on the bed of nails or something.

And btw shush...the both of you! kiss

Pele

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Pele, I think you are an amazing person and I love all the HoPpers but, I want to address the 'witch' term.

I am a Celtic Shamanka, High Priestess of The Church of the Earth, and proudly call myself 'Witch.'

I know that it's a term that has gotten it's bad reputation from ignorance and misunderstanding, but part of my job is to help change this!

Therefore,https://cote-nc.org/ My hyperlink doesn't seem to want to work but, if you check my thread, it's on there and it DOES work.

I'm Phoenix 66 on the site, btw.

Tough decision on whether to do the show or not. The money would be great but you never know how they will make you appear in the final cut. I'd have a hard time deciding, myself.

If you'd like I'll do a reading and get back with you by PM.

Completely up to you!

Much love to all!

ubblove
EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1158117597)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
If they really want you, counteroffer with more money. You will lose a heap of time out of your life with the organising and all the filming.. Time I imagine is one commodity that is short in your life as it is. It wont just be the time on the show thats used up. They will yank you around and (try to) mess with you and your families heads to get good reactions.

You have lots of attributes they will use as advertising and will be eyecatching on TV so they will reel in the watchers which will give them more money.
Make it truly worth your while having a bunch of strangers in your house with your family and access to all your life.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
How come the contacted you? Did you have your name down for somehting? Or have they been stalking you and deicded you were cute enough for tv tongue

I say go for it!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Doc and NYC...I am proud of the witchiness, and the Pyromaniac, yeah, well....only a little. wink Though I think they want me to sleep on the bed of nails or something.

Keep in mind that it's not just stuff that you're proud of that they'll lie about. They could easily re-edit to make you look like a horrible parent or Noah to look like a horrible kid. Or something else that you actually care about.

They will surely take you out of your comfort zone.

I've heard of quite a few reality shows where they purposely treat the folks like crap so they'll be angry. Then they fight more which makes better TV.

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Is there anyway you could find folks who've already been on the show and see how they felt about it?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, I found one article...

A guy is sueing 'wife swap' because they switched his wife with a gay man.

WAIT! HEAR ME OUT. Yeah, he was religious and conservative but some of his complaints seemed relevant:

According to the Muskogee (OK) Phoenix, Bedford’s suit (filed in October, 2005) claims:

— Bedford was distraught over the misrepresentation to the point of nonparticipation.
— Defendants threatened if Bedford did not film the show that they would not tell him his wife's location and would not pay for her to be sent home.
— Bedford conducted a Bible study for the Haileyville Baptist Church, wherein the gay swap participant invited a gay coalition into Bedford's home for the study.
— Defendants repeatedly told him his wife was leaving him. He claims he became emotionally distraught over his and his family's situation to the point of becoming physically and mentally ill. His wife was not informed of his illness.
— Bedford was not allowed to speak to his wife during the filming of the episode and not allowed to continue his college work during the filming. Subsequently, he was dropped from one class.
— Defendants acted with reckless disregard. As a result of intentional infliction of mental distress he has incurred medical bills, public humiliation, embarrassment and undue grief. He seeks $5 million for that distress and punitive damages of $5 million.

I've got no tolerance for any anti-gay sentiment but it seems that there were some other unexpected consequences (like he wasn't allowed to go to school and was told that his wife was leaving him...) that sounded pretty harsh.

It's REALLY obvious that the show will try to piss you off. And there are people who's job it is to piss you off. A gay rights group showing up to a conservative's home would perhaps be like a conservative rights group showing up to your home and preaching against single parenthood.

They will find your buttons. They will push them.

Think about how many times HoPers have pissed you off. Now put them in your home with your family for 6 days. Oh yeah, and they've got a huge budget dedicated solely to pissing you off.

IF you understand that, I say go for it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
lol i have been asked loads by the british peeps to do the same, apparently they wanted a Pagan, Gothic type person for the show. i was considdering it before i realised that it would mean my kids would have to put up with someone the complete opposite from me for a week. Hell i wouldn't wish that on anyone so i keep saying NO. ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Plus if other kids watch the show your kids may never hear the end of the inevitable abuse from other kids.

Just a thought...

#They're gonna taste greeaat!#

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I say, if you are comfortable with your own failings enough to laugh at them (*which, judging by your even-keeled character, Pele, I would be willing to place money on that you are.) Because television and whatever family you ended up being placed with are going to blow anything that they percieve as "wrong" with you out of the water, no matter how small, insignificant, or funny.

However, after reading some of your posts and your firebreathing story, I trust that you would both have a fun time with it and that you would possibly walking away having done at least one good turn for your host family.... and no, I'm not sucking up because you're a mod. I think half of the HoPers are like you and would have probably about the same experience if not slightly different! (me + children = bad, so I wouldn't be a good little swapper)

G'luck and, if you and your family does decide to take the plunge, I want to hear when it's airing!

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fyrespirit

Pele, I think you are an amazing person and I love all the HoPpers but, I want to address the 'witch' term.

Ummm...I was born and raised by a scottish witta. I *am* a witch, and many people here know it, but I *choose* not to flaunt it nor explain it, and truthfully, it did not need to be addressed in this thread. Especially because I am comfortable enough in my faith and with myself that I am fine with the term being used as a joke, and even use it as such.
There are many of us on HoP in fact.
A few in this thread even.( wave :hugs: to the others)

Pele

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I stand corrected and hope that I did not offend.

I have very strong Scottish roots myself and am sooo envious that you were able to be educated in a family tradition.

I just put it out there because I am also comfortable with my choice and want to help to educate others who might not understand.

I'd absolutely love to talk to any of the other pagans on the site and compare ideas and trads.

bounce2 clap bounce2

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
i dont know you that much but i think it is a good idea, it is a lot of money and think what it could go towards,and if you get portrayed badly, then so what, you and people who are important to you know who are and that should be what matters:)

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

422 posts

Posted:
A couple of my friends that I left behind in Georgia had issues with being called a "witch," too, but that was because a lot of the area just didn't understand the word and used it in an almost derogatory manner.

Me, I'm hiding it from my Irish Catholic family. I have no problems being called a witch, a pagan, or any variation of the two- so long as you don't do it in front of my family! I'm respectful of their religion and their longing to raise good, upstanding Irish Catholic progeny, but I just don't believe in religion the same way they do. I don't want to hurt them or to make them feel as though they are failures of their upbringing or their religion by raising "heathen" children.

I don't know. I'm proud of who and what I am in all other aspects, which I why I hold nothing wrong with being called a witch. However, I treat it rather gaurdedly. I understand that some people are not comfortable with pagan religions or do not understand it, so I keep it rather close and don't always flaunt it. People are not often understanding, as I've seen while working with my school's glbt friendly organization.

*giggle* I guess you could say it's me own, personal, "Don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding my religion.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Oooh, you've got to go for it Pele. Whether someone who comes accross as fair minded as you would make good TV however, but they're paying.

I did a Natinal Geographic show a couple of years ago; focussed on my PhD work and how it was going to change the world. Ahem. Anyway, as far as I know only 3 people outside my family ever saw it and they remebered my name rather than my face. They also had to get approval from me about everything they showed, but whether this show would bother with that that.

Strega/Dianic with druidic leanings by the way. I'm not fussy.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Too cool, people!!

I'm honoured to know that I'm in such great company!
Eera, did you know that theris an Italian Liqueor(?)
called 'Strega?' It's made from the Angelica plant and I've been either trying to find some of it or a recipe for it for years!!! BTW, you would be considered to be an Eclectic.

Kat, I completely understand your viewpoint. My parents are about the only ones who don't know of my religious preferences.

They know that I have alternative beliefs but, with both at 74 years old, they are rather set in their ways and not exactly very open minded.

I salute you all for making your own choices!!!

clap clap clap

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fyrespirit

Kat, I completely understand your viewpoint. My parents are about the only ones who don't know of my religious preferences.

They know that I have alternative beliefs but, with both at 74 years old, they are rather set in their ways and not exactly very open minded.

My Mum is 52, and my Dad is 59. But both were raised in families that were staunch Irish and Irish/Polish Catholic families (respectively). Both have told me at one point or another that I was born Catholic, was raised Catholic, and would die Catholic. I've heard some others who, with the same upbringing, basically heard the same exact sentence.

.... *giggle*

My parents never said anything about what I do with religion in between being raised Catholic and dying Catholic. ubblol

Page: