Help_Menewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hi I'm new... I really need help. I've tried multiple diets before, but like most none have worked. I really want one that is practical and works. I like to jog and was planning on it this coming fall. I like to ride my bike. My main problem is I don't know the right things to eat. eek

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
umm wtf.

speak to a dietician?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Excersise.
And eat well. No fancy recipe. Just eat well. Fruit, vegetables, non processed foods, lower salt, smaller portions and more often.

PM me for more specifics, but mostly what i have said above and i will probably only paraphrase the above in my replies.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Don't diet, diets are bad, they mess with your body and in the long run you'll put on more weight. Learn what your body needs, and eat for nutrition, not for "treats" or comfort or anything else, it's just fuel.

Dump the junk, your body needs a reasonable amount of starchy carbs for energy, not glucose syrup. Eat lots of fruit, dried and fresh, cereals, salads and veg. Snack on yoghurts, and eat little and often. Go for wholemeal, and food that has a recognisable origin! Drink lots of water.

You might like to read this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007176996/202-5354758-1227866?v=glance&n=266239

It can be a fairly painful process, but it puts things into perspective. I've had a very bad relationship with food and my weight since I was a teen, this helped a lot, and I lost 15kg without calorie counting, or feeling that I was depriving myself.

Oh, and don't plan to do things, the great thing about losing weight tomorrow is that tomorrow never actually happens wink
EDITED_BY: kash (1156502495)

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Start the day with some yoga, it starts your metabolism and makes your body ready to consume food. Then eat! Not just a little bit but a good healthy breakfast (not the full English). Start with fruit before anything else. (fruit gets stuck behind other foods) A banana milkshake is also nice. Then have some cereal or brown bread or even muffins. And some yoghurt. This should make you stop feeling hungry so you won't feel the need to snack on anything unhealthy before lunch.
For the rest of the day, eat healthily, move a lot, drink fluids. Good luck.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
And don't forget protein. We need to constantly rebuild every bit of our bodies. Carbs, fruit, veges etc will give you energy, vitamins etc for day to day running but cannot replace the protein you need. If you do not get enough protein your body is effectively starving and you will be craving, unsatisfied etc.

It is a good metabolism boosting plan to exercise before brekkie, then eat every three hours during the day, including about 40 g of protein (that's not half a cow, an egg or small can of tuna, will do) with NO SNACKING in between. Avoid carbs in the evening. After about a week of this your body;s metablism will rise and you will be noticeably more energetic, and hungry at just the right time. Do not fall into the trap of 'waiting till I'm hungry' and just starving yourself then eating random stuff at random times. Your body gets really confused and the metablism will slow down.

Protein= eggs, fish, meat, beans (as long as you eat them with cereals at the same meal eg rice and dhal), cheese, tofu, nuts.

If you are vegetarian you have to pay extra extra attention to this, not just skip the meat and think that rice and veg is enough. MAny vegetarian 'products' have wheat gluten as the protein but it is frequently indigestible.

And by the way, this is a poi/spinning iste so for real help you should go to a sports nutritionist.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Do not fall into the trap of 'waiting till I'm hungry' and just starving yourself then eating random stuff at random times. Your body gets really confused and the metablism will slow down.

That is so vital, which is why I say little and often. When you eat, your body doesn't register it for about 20 mins, so if you eat when hungry it's really easy to eat far more than you need (because you eat until your stomach is distended). I would advise planning a meal or snack every 3/4 hours. e.g. weetabix for breakfast, piece of fruit mid morning, tuna salad for lunch, yoghurt mid afternoon, protein veg and rice for dinner, and dried fruit/nuts for an evening snack. If you have a plan, it stops you making bad choices when you feel a snack urge come on.

I would also certainly reinforce the professional help thing. Definately consult your doctor, make sure there is no underlying issues that could cause harm, and no medical problems that are making you retain weight. Your Dr can also refer you to a dietician, or simply give you advice on what's healthy. That said the diet nurse at my old Dr once just told me to "stop eating cakes biscuits and pies" and accused me a lying when I said I didn't (my medication was causing me to gain weight, but my Dr did spot that when i had tests).

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Dear Help,

It would be nice if you chose to introduce yourself to the site and the community from which you are requesting help.

If you want anonymous advice there are plenty of websites out there catering to just the sort of things you are looking for.

I'm not saying don't ask questions, just try and be a person first, a problem second.

Good luck with your diet.

David

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Do more poi. And staff. And juggling. More of everything that's active. And take up martial arts maybe?
wink

seriously though, good luck, the advice already given is worth listening to. And if you're having trouble breaking away from fast foods https://www.slowfood.com/

I'm not sure if you do use any juggling props, but they are a good way to incorporate fun, relaxed, non-competitive (for most people anyway wink ) exercise into your day. There's a 25 minute vid here https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5881304675263014105
on how using 'skill toys' can improve your health.

Good luck! smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Why exactly do you want to loose weight?

Health reasons or personal aesthetic preferances, or both?

Yesterday I got told I was 'clinicly obese' by the doctor.

Which is a load of balls really.

Using a system that is flawed, to note down how fat I am, to tell the government how fat I am, so they can then tell me how fat I am in their latest figures.

This summer has seen an influx in weight purely because I'm not doing the 2 hours total walking I would usually do, to get to and from college everyday, and I'm sitting on my arse in front of this thing most of the time and eating alot of junk.

Aside from this, I consider myself a healthy being. I can conquer the most steep hills in St.Leonards whilst others go weak at the kness just looking at them.

St.Leonards hills also account for 'the hulk' calf muscles that I have ubblol

They can go and stick their BMI calculations and 'you are clinicly obese' statemants up their bums for all I'm concerned!

[/rant]

Surely it takes just common sense to know what the right and wrong things are to eat?

Lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and anything with a high sugar or fat content to be consumed with moderation!

hug hug
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1156534508)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Aside from this, I consider myself a healthy being. I can conquer the most steep hills in St.Leonards whilst others go weak at the kness just looking at them.

I, for one, sodding hate those hills!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Totally agree. Why is it you want to lose weight?

Me, I need to keep my weight down, especially now. I'm getting back into competive equestrian training for show jumping and dressage after four years out of the saddle, and I have a bad knee.

For these reasons, my weight had been a difficult balancing act before I stopped riding, and I know I'm going back to that balancing act. Loose too much weight, and I start burning off muscle when I work, making it harder on my knee, harder to ride, and, more important and on subject- HARDER TO POI AND PLAY! Keep too much weight on, and it starts putting too much stress on my knee. The official line, however, I will admit, has always been that "I want to keep my times down at any costs." I'm too proud to admit in the equestrian circles that I'm riding with a bad knee. I also don't want to get other riders looking at me funny when they know I've accidentally gone too far again and am getting sick from it.

For that reason, above all others, I must highly recommend for anyone attempting to get into shape who isn't as informed to speak with their doctor, a nutricionist, or a physical trainer. If you lose weight in an unhealthy manner for your body type, you WILL get sick. I promise you, you will. And not in a good way. I'm talking unable to maintain your core body temperature, being sick for weeks on end, and, in the ladies, unable to maintain your natural bodily cycles. Don't believe me, read up on racehorse jockeys to see this at an extreme level.

But, especially in the case of someone who has "tried everything," you may specifically need to speak with a doctor and review your diet and exercise program. You could be doing something wrong for your individual body and metabolism or just doing something inefficient (ie- doing the work outs, but not eating properly). Bear in mind that some people have troubles keeping their weight down. I have a good friend who is diabetic and has troubles keeping his weight down.

Also bear in mind that, should you get onto a workout schedule and a diet, you have to keep it up and at a healthy level. Diets and workout programs take a while to work. It makes them healthier because sudden weight crashes can have bad affects on your body (*speaking from experience on that one!).

Now, what I can definitely recommend if it is purely a question of losing weight and improving overall DIETARY health, is a program such as Weight Watchers. The biggest problems with trying to lose weight, as least in America, is a few things that we have going as per psychological conflict with attempting to eat healthy. I cannot say for any other countries, but Americans are bombarded with advertisements for foods, particularly unhealthy ones, and for larger portions. For this reason, it creates a subconscious conflict as per what to eat and how much. Weight Watchers is a great program as per a support network and a schedule to avoid the problems of what foods to eat and how much.

Many people do not understand the concept of how much is appropriate for you to eat. Ever remember hearing your mother say, "Eat, eat! You have to eat! There's nothing to you!" and end up being forced to eat a whole second or third helping? Yeah.... me too. My mum is convinced I'm anorexic or bulemic. Ever remember killing tons of goldfish as a kid but not knowing why because "they had more than enough food?" Remember your cousin's fat uber-fat dog? A lot of problems we face when looking at food is not understand appropriate amounts and appropriate foods.

So.... uh.... to sum things up...

1.) Talk to your doctor, a nutricionist, trainer about your current situation and establish your overall desire for your situation. Establish if you are looking to improve your physical health, your overall muscle tone and flexibility, your appearance, or, perhaps, your sense of personal pride and self-esteem. Only then can you and a company of experienced help truly establish what sort program is going to work best AND is going to be healthy for you at the same time.

2.) Stick to your guns! Don't give up if it doesn't work right away!

3.) Develop a good support network and get them involved. Join a club for an activity or sport, enroll in a program like Weight Watchers, or just get friends and family involved. Get outside and get them playing. Prepare healthy foods and introduce them to it. The more excited the people around you are about this, the more it's going to boost your self esteem and encourage you.

4.) And always remember- beauty, contrary to popular belief, is NOT conveyed by dress size. Beauty is conveyed by how you carry yourself and how you behave.

G'luck, and be healthy.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Yesterday I got told I was 'clinicly obese' by the doctor.
Which is a load of balls really.

Using a system that is flawed, to note down how fat I am, to tell the government how fat I am, so they can then tell me how fat I am in their latest figures.
They can go and stick their BMI calculations and 'you are clinicly obese' statemants up their bums for all I'm concerned!

I was once told that you are technically obese if you weigh a stone more than your doctor wink
I don't know how this applied to the quite frankly enormous nurse who accused me of lying about a secret pie-eating habit.

BMI is a load of balls. It completely fails to take in variation in build, or consider what the body mass is made up of, muscle weighs more than fat.
When I first went to uni I weighed about 60-65kg, I was a small size 10 (UK) and solid muscle. I spent a gap year training race horses, I could muck out 10 stables, then exercise 3 horses in a morning, and I could carry a 20kg bag of feed under each arm with very little effort. My breastbone and *all* my ribs were prominant. This pic: https://www.bobbinsandbroomsticks.com/2435N20.jpg
was taken after I gained a little weight. At my student health check up I was told I needed to lose a stone to be a healthy weight.

I would still advise to see a doctor, but also to use common sense and to aim to *feel* healthy.

Help_Menewbie
2 posts

Posted:

Thanks Kash I'm going to try that. It sounds good

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
apparently im clinicly obese too.

i personally think its all boobs, and i think the same goes for you too Aimée, and i also have 'monster calves'

i eat healthy i just eat a lot.

as people have previously mentioned, diets are bad!

if however you are asking how to improve your diet in the long run, then just eat a balanced diet.

always cook your own food and dont just settle for convenience. this is cheaper and healthier!!

oh, and walk whenever you can!!

curvy is goooood!!!!!

hug hug

Owner of Dragosani's right side.