• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:Has anyone ever been to one of those? I got an invitation to apply for one today. It's by one of those big international consulting companies...

Now while I'm not sure if consulting is anything I'd be good at (though their online practice ones said I am, surprisingly), I'm quite happy to explore all the options I'll have once the PhD is finished. And a free weekend in the mountains with some practice for interviews and assessment centres is not the worst thing in the world.

So, has anyone been to a recruitment weekend and would like to share the experience? Dresscode (minimum requirements since I won't spend much money on it), what really really not to do, what to do if you realise after half an hour that this is the last place in the world you want to be, and all that? ubbrollsmile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete Topic

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Total posts: 1502
Posted:I haven't had any experience of them, but I went to a recruitment day training/information mcthingamy back when I was PhDing. So take the following with a dash of salt, a modest amount of ground pepper, a sprinkling of rosemary and oregano, and 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 5...

If it works like I was told it works, they'll get you to do a whole bunch of assessment exercises, see how you cope under various situations. Expect lots of team-building activities, the one I remember was building a tower out of clothes pegs while blindfolded while your sighted team-members tell you what to do... probably some outdoor activities so be prepared to get a bit grubby I think.

Indoor activities closer to an office situation (role-plays, small projects to do, maybe some lectures, you might have to do a short presentation) will abound, so I'd bring smart office wear if I were you. Might run against the grain if you're a stinkin hippy, but I guess these are the sacrifices we have to make.

Oh, and unless they say differently I'd keep in mind that you're continually being assessed. Even in the bar in the evenings. At least, if you're not formally being assessed then you're still making an impression, so I wouldn't make too much of a drunken bluetit of yerself (not that I'm saying you would normally...necessarily).

Dunno what to do if you realise after half an hour that it isn't for you. Walk out, I spose. But only after you drink the bar dry, steal all the company freebies, kick a few tables over and pee on the rug.

Hope this helps, but please don't blame me if it's entirely different to this!

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted: Written by: 87wt2gxq7

Walk out, I spose. But only after you drink the bar dry, steal all the company freebies, kick a few tables over and pee on the rug.

The RUG! They'll send the DUDE after me ubblol Good plan though, that's what my thoughts were, except for the rug smile thanks!! hug

Am not that much of a stinking hippie, I'm an in-between-person. So if they don't like half-hippies, then my answers to their hobbies-questions means they won't invite me anyways! weavesmiley

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:if you're real unlucky they'll send nihilists after you.

zey beeliev in nuh-sing, lebowski, NUH-SING!

you're a PhD student, a scientist, you spin poi and you're not that much of a hippie?!?
Egad, what is the world coming to? BBSRC are letting the side down badly... wink biggrin

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:BBSRC? They've got nuffink to do with me, cause I'm not British so they don't like me (likewise with the MRC!). I'm sponsored by the evil industry instead!

Nihilists are okay, I can speak German with them and they have cool pets biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:ah yes, hence the name Birgit smile

they may have cool pets but keeping a marmot.. a woodland animal in a, you know... within the city limits.. without a lisence.. that ain't exactly legal neither wink

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:of COURSE they're not legal. They are people sent by even more evil people who come and pee on someone's carpet! Expecting them to be legal would be like expecting a dealer's debt collector squad to knock politely wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

Dr_Molly

Dr_Molly

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2354
Posted:I've got a marmotte that lives in New York City and he seems perfectly happy, if a little sleepy smile

Birgit - I've got no helpful advice I'm afraid. Do you know where they would be taking you away to?

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:to the Alps smile Kitzbuehel I think. Too bad I don't ski, I could take a few extra-dazs off wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:Whaa?! here, have a big ol' pile of envy.

*hands you envy*

Delete

Birgit

Birgit

Posted:well why do you think I want to go! wink

I'll just apply for it and see if they want me at all. Probably not...

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Delete