MegaMafroBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
I picked some poi up in Thailand after watching some fire shows. I was lucky enough to get a free hours lesson when i bought my poi, so that got me started with some moves.
I started off with just crossing my arms in front of me, then a front weave and a move called the helecopter.
Since I have been home I have been practicing these, and got them nailed. I have since taught myself the butterfly, and the one handed butterfly.

Where do you suggest I go from here? Im thinking that I should learn to do the reverse weave. I have had a go at this, but keep hitting my hands. So ideas please people?
weavesmiley

Buy My Zine It Funds My Pork Scratching Addiction

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Reverse weaving is an absolute must! Then you can spin round in circles and get really dizzy. biggrin

Have a look at the lessons HERE.

Then find some people for a meet.
There's quite a few spinners in Kent smile

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
I like to find a special typw of move and work on all the variations I can do from it.

You say you learned the butterfly, well how about learning to do thread the needle, then a behind the head butterfly then a mexican wave, then an outwards butterfly, then a behind the back butterfly and so on. See how you do.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I really like the book "Poi Spinning" that's available at the HOP bookstore.

The tricks I learned after the point you are at were:

Reverse weave/butterfly (everything should be learned in reverse)

Transitions (doing a move forward, then turning your body 180 degrees and keep the move going in reverse).

Thread the needle (I couldn't get this one until I had someone show it to me).

The Mexican Wave.

Behind the back butterfly (one hand at a time, then both hands eventually).

Wraps. (Letting the poi wrap around an arm/leg/whatever, then spring back in the other direction).

Corkscrew
Windmill
Waist Wrap
Fountain

5bt weave. It doesn't look particularly more impressive to a non-poi spinner than a 3bt weave, but its personally satisfying to be able to do it.

MegaMafroBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
One quick question.

The poi I have are on chains. Does this hinder doing any moves? Would i be better getting some poi socks for learning.

I say this as when I learned to do the one handed butterfly yesterday the chains were rubbing my hand and started becing really un confortable.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Socks tend to be a bit easier.

I learned most of my early stuff with chains though. It just makes you look more hardcore cool

MegaMafroBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
Excellent. I may well invest in some socks and a poi book then.

I work with computers, and have just been fixing a server problem. Whilst the server was rebooting I was practising my weaving and butterflys with some computer mice biggrin

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
lol about the mice swinging. might try that in our computer room. socks are easier, i say u might aswell get some off here as they dont cost much (only a quid or something more than buying knee socks from a store and some tennis balls) get the 'scales of poi' dvd to. pictures mean nothing to me, videos are much better

MegaMafroBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
The scales of poi dvd suggests that its for the more experianced poi spinner. That I am not, would i be best off going for the art of poi dvd first? Or will it be ok going straight to the scales of poi dvd?

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
I;ve yet to buy the dvd due to P&P, waiting for a bulk order with bvuying lots of equipment. Scales of Poi appears to be for intermediate advanced people but it also appears to be a dvd to allow you total freedom and look at BASIC skills and thing that are really good foundations for future skills. That is why I think it's ok to buy it.

MegaMafroBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
Well I have just splashed out on some socks, the scales of poi dvd, and some glow sticks.
Any idea on delivery times to the UK?

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I like butterfly and butterfly-based moves, such as the Mexican Wave. They're simple, easy to learn, rather elegant, and easy on the arms. It's also an easy way to be able to talk to random bystanders and keep poi-ing. I like watching people look at you with wonder and awe as you butterfly and talk to them at the same time.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

MegaMafroBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
I shall have a look into some different butterfly moves then, sounds good. I shall keep you updated on my progress