Forums > Social Chat > All Read: From The Mods: Birthday Threads

Login/Join to Participate

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:Hey everyone.
While we all love seeing the Happy Birthday threads and think they are fantastic and loving (and an incredible testament to your ability to remember!) we would like them to start being posted in the Introductions section of the board.
Our reason for this is simple, there are thousands on this board which means that on any given day there can be 10 more people added to the well wish list, which could possibly clog the social area.
The introduction area, being more personable and usually those in there are in a very generous mood anyway, seems to be the perfect place for all these lovely well wishes.
Current birthday threads will be moved presently.
Happy Birthday and Un-Birthday to all, and thank you for your future co-operation.

Pele, current spokesperson!

[ 20. January 2003, 11:40: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete Topic

Valura
Valura

Mumma Hen
Total posts: 6391
Posted:Pele, while I respect your postion as a moderator I must say the following things...
As we all know recently on the board there has been many ups and downs in attitude and compassion from everyone... This, I have noticed, has recently changed and been turned around to a much nicer and even flowing energy...
I feel that moving the birthday threads to introductions is a bit of a killer for the happy love, giving vibes on the board for the following reasons...
1... Not everyone visits the introductions. I know this sounds harsh but its very true...Everyone visits social because thats where there is more traffic and we all know that if there is a message we need to get across then we post it in social.
2... Events forum is for events. Help forum is for help. Introductions is for the introductions...and social is just for that... being social. I really feel that birthdays are a social thing and need to be celebrated...When the well wishes are placed in peoples introductions then not everyone is going to notice these special days. Not everyone knows when peoples birthdays are and will not have the time nor the inclination to search intros on a dayily basis to see if is someone is having a birthday.
This will definatly drop the level of good feelings floating around hop and the atmosphere may drop again to previous levels.
3...Its nice to have your birthday noticed. Its nice to have people who dont often post, notice your birthday and wish you well...it opens lines of communication that may not have been there before and forges new friendships....

I have tryed my darndest to get the respect and love exchanges on HOP to a new level through personally appointing myself the love fairy and trying to tell people how much they matter and make a difference to everyone. Even if this was just in small ways like wishing people happy birthday and letting them know that they are thought about by friends across the globe...
I really would hate to see this kind of thing die.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:How did you get to be spokesperson?

Did you draw the short straw?

If yes, then can I interest you in a box of longish straws to aid you in future situations?

(shh - i'll also put a few medium sized straws in so you can avoid suspision by not always winning ..... )

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

dromepixie
dromepixie

veteran
Total posts: 1463
Posted:I dont understand why after having B-days posted sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times on social do we suddenly try to change the format.

I must agree with Valura when she says that the intros forum is not posted to and observed as often as social... and birthdays are as such a social event!

Must we change our traditions on HOP therefore making it something different?!

Is it so much to deal with from a mods point of view???!?!?!?!?!

drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Delete

Charles
Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
Total posts: 3989
Posted:Drome, it's not really a matter of whether it is a "social" thread or not.

Intro threads are perhaps the most social of all of them. It's a matter of keeping the Bulletin Board as easy as possible to navigate and search, for both existing and for brand new members.

Social became soooooo much easier to find old threads once the intro's had their own searchable section. And I truly believe the same result will happen with the birthday threads.

"Traditions" are great, though way back in time, when there were only a dozen or so active members on the board, stuff like this didn't matter as much as it does now, with over 900 actively posting members.

Valura. The most visited section is actually neither social nor any of the others you mentioned, it is the "most recent threads" that is used by well over half of the visiters to HoP.

So as long people keep posting to a thread, it will keep coming up and people will not miss it, regardless of the section it is in.

However, if you want to search through social, the absence of the ever-growing birthday threads will make it easier and faster to find what you want.

PS happy birthday to you both for your next one!

[ 20. January 2003, 16:03: Message edited by: Charles (INFERNO) ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:I meant to actually close this after I wrote it, but then started moving threads.
I'm not going to bother responding here to these posts except to say...yeah, what Charles said! And I volunteered Cantus, but can I take those straws anyway, just for future use?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete