the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
hey, i got outbid on ebay for a set of poi, but i'm desperate to get some real ones that won't give me bruises. so, being the impatient git that i am, i just ordered a set of ultra poi, i like the idea of being able to remove the tails to reduce tangles as i am only a begginner. has anybody out there got a set of ultra poi? how have you found them? ]

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
why not use socks instead? ubbangel wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
socks is best, tails suck, swivels suck, nylon double finger loops suck, but what sucks most of all is those poi with adjustable length cord that doesn't stay at the length you set.

Don't believe the hype, simple is best, there is very little need for most components in production poi

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

1,286 posts

Posted:
i'd make myself a pair of sock poi, but i just cant see myself raving away with them at creamfields, or anywhere else for that matter! plus, i want to be able to possibly move on to fire one day, and socks dont really let you do that so easily.

O.B.E.S.E.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: idancelikeatwatme

i want to be able to possibly move on to fire one day, and socks dont really let you do that so easily.

umm

i'd disagree there.

and if you think socks don't work well at clubs/parties, you need to see some uv cone poi in action.

cone poi - the sock poi's refined older brother wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I learnt to spin fire with fire poi and I know that learning with socks would have been easier so I join Cole on the disagreeing.

Personally I find socks more fun to spin then anything else anyway.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Im disagreeing with mr Wibbler.
The HOP ultra performance poi I got didnt have adjustable cords. Huzzah. They worked well when I was a beginner, and so as I progressed, I realised the advantagesa and disadvatnages of each. So I changed from tails to socks to cones.

They dont hurt when you hit yourself either. smile

1,286 posts

Posted:
cheers for your help guys, my ultra poi will be with me in 7-10 days hopefully. until then, i'm ditching the glowsticks on string (gave myself a major whack with them last night and nearly knocked myself out!) and making myself a pair of sock poi. any advice on what filling is best to use? tennis ball? bean bag/ball?

O.B.E.S.E.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I use bags of sand but it depends how heavy you want them, most people except me think mine are too heavy. Personally I find tennis balls too light, bean bags should be ok...I think.

And yeah, I think I may have got distracted by the word socks and forgotten the post that came before it. spank

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I had no idea what ultra poi were until about 10 minutes ago. I was talking in general about 90% of tail poi i've seen.

My all time least favourite being poipoi cobras. They possible define the exact design for what not to do.

Tails are fun for certain things, socks are fun for most of that plus a zillion other things wink

Spinning fire, sock, tail, flag and glosticks is a sure way to improve your control. Play with everything you can.

I used to spin drying clothes, shoes, chains, t shirts or whatever else when i didn't have a set of poi on me.

Oh, and sock poi are way more like fire poi than tailpoi are.... and don't be fooled into thinking firepoi are the be-all and end-all of spinning poi. wink

Anyways, have fun with your new poi,

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

1,286 posts

Posted:
i wasn't thinking that firepoi are the be all and end all, but you gotta admit, they are pretty cool!
i've been teaching myself with a pair if used glowsticks crudely tied on to some string, they are ok i suppose, but the string keeps going longer and shorter, and it gets really annoying! plus, glowsticks hurt!
i seriously nearly knocked myself out when i hit myself in the temple last night. one of the strings suddenly decided it was going to shorten itself during an attempt at giant butterfly. i suppose it might not hurt as much if i didnt keep pokin it.

O.B.E.S.E.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Wibbles

My all time least favourite being poipoi cobras.

bounce
Yep, me too.

Written by: Me from another thread

Coughpoipoiarepoopoicough

1,286 posts

Posted:
hey guys, thanks for the advice on this subject. i'm still waiting on my ultra poi, but when they arrive, i think i'm gonna put them away till i learn a few moves with my newly made sock poi......3 sets of sock poi for seven quid! yay!

O.B.E.S.E.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Indeed.. Don't listen to the tail nay-sayers. Tails may not be so forgiving to the beginner, and they are vastly underused (in my opinion) by the skilled players, but they have tons of potential.

As an example, and because of some anti-tail sentiments I've read of late, I recently created this vid (requires flash 8):

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=755933102&n=2

Peace,

- Sui

(BTW, the poi in that vid are are zuni and I use ball chain with them, I'm not a big fan of string)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

1,286 posts

Posted:
my ultra poi came yesterday, i've gone from having no poi at all, to 3 sets of sock poi and a set of tails. i'm quite happy with the ultra poi, they are well made and the colours are really bright. think i'll save them till i learn a few moves though.

O.B.E.S.E.

1,286 posts

Posted:
Just want to say a great big thankyou to all of you who reccomended sock poi to me! i've gone from being able to do no tricks at all really, to being able to do butterfly, giant butterfly, one handed butterfly and 3 beat weave all in 2 days. sock poi are the greatest!
although i now have a set of tails which will be in perfect unused condition when i am able to use them!

Thanks again guys and gals!

O.B.E.S.E.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Anyone else ever tried adding tails to socks? It works suprisingly well biggrin

Cake or Death?

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Alright Alright! i would take it from me... i just ordered these poi from HOP the ultra poi and LED sock poi, ill explain
Ultra poi - two hole finger grasp, string for spinning (not chain, thats what i had thought) Dettachable/Attachable tails. Yes, the tails may tangle, but its a very flashy object. If you wish, you can just take the tail off.. Ive found the tail has velcrow and you can attach it to a broom stick, do some staff poi. Ultra poi isnt worth it to me, its too big and too distracting from what i think would be real poi. AND! my ultra poi broke the SAME day i had bought it, the 2 finger grasp thing flew off like a bat out of hell.
Sock poi - this is my personal favorite. Nylon stretch material with a juggling ball/ LED light ball in the sock. The sock is rather long from this site, i advise you grasp it by wrapping you fingers around it. It may be heavy, but as you keep playing, the weight is very wonderful to perform your isolations. Sock poi's weight can be moved easily to your advantage. The LED colors they have are Orange (looks much like red), Blue, Green, Rainbow (im not sure if they change color or not.) and white. Honestly, to me, the lights are a small perk to the actually spinning. Now if you spin with a sock alone with no lights, it seems much more amazing, you get to see the isolations and turning. I find it amazing. Now if you buy any LED poi. there is a little slot on the side of the sock. Take out the ball from that slot. Twist this little knob to the left. there will be a battery carriage there. Take out the battery, inbetween them, a cardboard little circle will be inbetween them. This refrains from the negative and positive charge onto eachother. Take it out. Then you put it as you found it *without the cardboard* turn it to the right and WALAH! you have made light. Turn to the left to turn it off.
ENJOY!

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

1,286 posts

Posted:
hey rr, ur just a tad late my friend, my ultra poi came last monday, i have only used them a couple of times, i think i'll save them till i know what i'm doing.

i made myself a few sets of sock poi some with tennis balls in and some with juggling balls in, i've found them really good for learning with.

thanks for the info anyway, i'm keeping tabs on your 'help needed' thread, its really exciting, good luck man.

O.B.E.S.E.

addict
567 posts

Posted:
ah, my apologies proceed. hah, i thought i was kind of late, anyways, have fun with your ultra poi. If you need any help learning any moves for sock poi feel free to PM me, i fricking love mine, im buying two more sets. biggrin rock on man. which help needed one? i posted one when i was a newb, and another one for my love life biggrin. dont pay attention to the newb one for me learning moves. I know enough biggrin take care, PM me if you need anything

1,286 posts

Posted:
i'm on about the current one about your love life, its like watching a really exciting soap or something. i'm on edge waiting for new developments!

O.B.E.S.E.

addict
567 posts

Posted:
lmao! its fun, getting kinda rough... like all soap operas, i hope the girl doesnt go off doing stuff with another man names enrique.. biggrin *shivers* damn you enrique.... damn you.... biggrin