• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Saving Money hints and tips please

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Valura
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

Valura

Mumma Hen

Total posts: 6391
Posted:ok... we have just paid off a whole load of bills and will have more diposable income now which is great news... although our kombi is gone which is bad news!

To let you guys know we are saving to come to the Uk to see all our beautiful friends and family there (you guys are just like family ya know?) Its going to coat a minimum of 4 thousand dollars just for tickets.We would love to be there in the next year or so.

The thing is...I have no will power! I have already had to put my credit card in a cup.. fill it with water and freeze it in the freezer cause I buy something and think Ill pay for it later... which never happens.

so I was hoping that perhaps you guys may have suggestions as to how to save some dosh? I have gone to get some travel books so I can cut out the piccys of london and put them on a goal poster, yet that doesnt help when Im at the shops and reach for my eftpos card.... redface

I also shocking at budgets...all our bills always get paid on time.. but then extra money gets chucked away at dumb things like food, fun stuff (movies and crap like that)and I ALWAYS seem to be buying things for other people to remind them how much they are loved~ which is nice and I dont want to stop doing, maybe I should start making things to remind them they are loved instead huh? (if I can find the time around my active lil ten month old!)

Any ideas guys?

HELP US WITH HINTS AND TIPS TO GET TO THE UK TO SEE YOU!!!!

ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete Topic

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Total posts: 1328
Posted:There was an article in mum's Thats Life magazine last year I think about how to save money... unfortunatly I cant remember them, except for the petrol one.
Every minute (or even less) as this chick was filling up her car she would stop the flow, shake the hose so bits that were caught would fall into the tank, and then fill for another minute. It took heaps longer, but she saved heaps because she would use every little drip in the tank, and not leave half of it there

Delete

The_Magnesium_Master

journeyman

Total posts: 97
Posted:Your all going to hate me for every one of these sugestions, but since I saved about 35 grand in 4 years on apprentice wages I think I am qualified to say how to be a scrooge. I practice what I preach, but be warned that saving money involves disipline and suffering, so most of you wont have the strength to follow these sugestions. I only know 1 person more frugal and disiplined than myself, out of at least 100 people

1) ABSOLUTLY NO alcohol, tobacco, drugs, gambling, nightclubing, hotted up cars or debt s accrued for consumer items. without doing this your wasting your time.

2) forget about budgeting, your aim is to save everything, so you realy need good analytical software like Quicken to rapidly pick up high expenditure and wipe it out.

3) Graph your savings and expenditure on a large graph in your lounge room every week.

4) Satisfaction is proportional to the log of the number of items you own. get rid of most of your possesions and in a few months you wont even miss them.

Try searching this site for something like " satisfaction proportional to log of number of items" and it might pick up an earlier post of mine in more detail.

5) Think that your duty is to manage resorces wisely for future generations, not squander them on your own greedy desires.

6)Stay away from women that charge for sex, especially realy atractive and sensual ones like an Indonesian woman about 21 years older than me and smooth and soft of body. Geting into that mess when I was about 20 cost me about 10 grand and leaving a bad woman was the hardest choice I have ever had to face in my life. It took me 4.5 years and 2 tries to give up that vice, and It realy sucked for years.

7) Examine the 1/X graph. Form cells of 7 families to live communally, or of at least 3 families minimum. Become at least 200% self suficient in fruit and vegetable production. Have no debt. Extract yourself from fossil fuel dependency if posible. Store 12 months dry food and 4 weeks water. Make yourself independent of the economy or else go down with the sinking ship when peak oil comes in the very near future. This is my next mission and is the primary reason (other than looking for a wife) for my NZ trip at the end of this year, and even a fanatic like me will find this a tough task with a high risk of failure but very little chance of surrender.

8) DEFINITLY come and talk to me about frugal living , universal loan graphs, peak oil, posessions vs satisfaction graphs, etc . Being a fanatical greenie scrooge I am only to happy to preach frugality to anyone who cares to lisen, and convert those who dont currently care.

Unfortunatly it takes a huge amount of effort for me to type up posts like this so I cant put up all this stuff myself, but I freely make it availably if you can see me in person. This is an open invitation to anyone, and your best chance is at Moonfest or jugle jam. Most of what I can show wont help short term but I'll try and bring some stuff to the next moonfest for all to see.

Being debt free and having a house helps, and my current savings rate is about 12-15 K per year from a gross income of 39K , up about 30% from recently, as I start to focus on my iminent NZ trip.

Considering a large part of that trip is aimed at finding a wife and I havent got laid for almost 5 and 3/4 years since I gave up casual recreational sex and soon after extended that to fornication in all forms, and am not going untill I have at least 40K, you could vow to give up sex untill you save up 10 grand. Its amazing how much extra money that can make you save.

Delete

firespiral

firespiral

Total posts: 21
Posted: Written by: newgabe

Sorry love but I would not have a clue how to save money. My response to imminent bankruptcy is a 3 month tour of Europe.
rolleyes

ubblol

save money eh .. err .. um .. that's that uh .. shiny coin stuff ey?
yeh need that for ebay biggrin

Art is neither a profession, nor a hobby.
Art is a way of life.

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted: Written by: The_Magnesium_Master

6)Stay away from women that charge for sex,

I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah, Um... that's probably good financial advice.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Valura

Valura

Mumma Hen

Posted:cause Im such a regular down at my local brothel! ubblol ubblol ubblol eek eek eek

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete

Rozi
SILVER Member since Jan 2002

100 characters max...

Total posts: 2996
Posted:That's a startling admission, Valura hun!! ubblol ubblol wink

Written by: Valura

whoa NYC... you have just totally opened my eyes!
I DO guilt spend...BIG TIME.
...I buy things for people, but only small things, and when rereading my post it sounds like I think thats dumb! When I really dont.. I see something that reminds me of a mate or a family member and buy it to make them smile...

Another solution on this is to do things for other people. Different people listen to love being expressed in different ways. So for me, I am not a great receiving gifts person, but I would love it if someone came around to my place and dragged me out on an adventure. Or do something small for me, like the dishes!!

Talk to Flynty about this. She has a really good understanding of different languages of showing you love people. She would have some great suggestions of ways of showing people that you care, but not only that, she will be able to talk to you about what will work for some people and not for others.

hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Delete

Valura

Valura

Mumma Hen

Posted:HAHAHAHHAH love languages great suggestion Rozi! I told Flynty about that when I learnt about it when she was here last! Im so glad that we had that discussion now...*giggles*

biggrin ubbrollsmile ubblove Love you thanks for the reminder...

*runs off to the brothel*

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:The other side of that is if you can turn a few tricks... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

newgabe
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

newgabe

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.

Total posts: 4030
Posted:* picks self off floor after MMaster's suggestions *

I suppose the female equivalent of not paying for sex is not having children...

EDITED_BY: newgabe (1147409621)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:I had to think lots about that Gabe until it finally clicked

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

newgabe
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

newgabe

what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.

Total posts: 4030
Posted:It's OK they also eat yr brain cells...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Posted:Car pool to work or school and share the costs of the petrol. Rotate weekly who drives, so wear and tear on the car is shared.
Bring your lunch to work. People generally spend around $10 a day or $50 a week buying their lunch.
Don't always buy books. Borrow them from a library or check our second hand book shops
Buy fresh rather than pre-prepared convenience food.
Cut down on takeaways. Whatever happened to cheese on toast as a quick snack?
Restrict your shopping to a weekly supermarket visit rather than daily trips to your corner shop. And dont shop when youre hungry.
Check out home brands for staples. There is often little difference in quality but a big difference in price.
Stop smoking $5 a day is $35 a week, which is $1820 a year. Not only will you save money, youll improve your health and be eligible for lower health insurance premiums as a non-smoker.
Subscribe to magazines and newspapers rather than buying them at the newsagent. Subscriptions are usually cheaper, plus you'll get them delivered.
If youre an avid theatre goer, considering buying a season ticket rather than purchasing tickets for individual performances.
If you need to buy something, shop around and save

Probably more, but thats the first good site I found... has anyone mentioned... do a google?

Delete

The_Magnesium_Master

journeyman

Posted:This one is probably a real health hazard, but I tried eating almost nothing but white rice to see how long it takes to start actually feeling realy crap and it takes at least 3 weeks if you take vitamins and eat 1 rissole a day for protein. I also fasted 10 days when I got glandular fever und it hurt to much to swallow, and recon it was easier to give up food than a loose woman, that said I was so sick I would have gladly died except I was too ill get out of bed and too stuffed to even form the desire to commit suicide, but not as a result of starvation, rather the glandular fever.

you can also survive a long time without good food if you eat a few 100g of carbohydrate each day as you wont lose much muscle and can use up some fat too. But go without food totally and you use up 1kg of muscle each day to gonvert 200g of fat into glucose, and thats if you stay lying still.

A mate of mine did a 3 week hunger strike last year, and though she lost condition from it she worked hard in the garden each day and says you only feel hungery for the first 2 days, then you dont realy care after that.

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Posted:*shakes head* we've been looking at nutrients and the likes in Health... I may be only in year 12, so many people won't listen to me... but I recommend not trying this diet... as it is many people don't eat the correct nutrients when they do eat properly, let alone only rice. Yes, there are vitamin supplements, but I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole to be honest

Delete

The_Magnesium_Master

journeyman

Posted:I wouldent try it twice iether, that was definitly (I hope) a one off test of my survival rations to check I would still be able to function if I had to use that stuff in a real food supply crisis like bank failure or pandemic disease. As for my hunger strike mate, she makes me look like a sane person.

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Posted:it still scares me to think about possible damage inflicted to the body

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:i'm assuming you have heard of the burma railway from world war two? and the Australian prisoners that were captured and forced to build the railway? they were only fed rice and water, (literally) skin and bones by the end of the war.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Posted:I've heard of it, but haven't looked into it too much

Delete

Page: 12