afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
ive just got hold of some kevvlar to make a fire torch or two, its not the usual wicking stuff, it is infact, heat bandage for f1 exhausts. its slightly thinner than wicking and more tightly packed. was just wondering wether it will still have the same absorbtion (although i believe it would be slightly less) and essentially the same burn? im in two minds about it, so any opinions would be good, innit!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
How the hell did you get your hands on that?

EwokkiBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
Dunno about burn time or absorbsion, but i imagine it will be a a tad more resistant than normal kevlar wicks.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
If the stuff you have is what I think it is then it's the 1/16th inch, non wire inserted kevlar tape. I've never used it but rumour has it that the burn time is less than the 1/8th inch tape however it is reputed to be more durable, meaning your toys will have a greater life span.

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
I'll second that...How the hell did you get your hands on that?

Let us know how it works out...

116 posts

Posted:
it came on some huge ass roll probably about 2 metres high, and it doesnt have wire in it. ive tired it out and it works fairly well, the burn time is shorter than normal wicking but it seems pretty tough, after the excess fuel has burnt off the flame tends to spring from the top and bottom, its proper tightly woven so i dont think it can burn through the middle very well. i would stick to wicking, but this would be my second choice. ps i got it from my dad who fixes up old f1 cars.

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
are you using it as a tube core or cathedral?

116 posts

Posted:
tube mate, aint got time to make a cathedral!

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
Would suggest that it might burn longer if you use it as an outer for a cotton inner. Wrap a cotton wick and then cover it in this stuff, it would improve the absorption but maintaing the durability. The inner wick wont burn if there is no air in there.

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment

116 posts

Posted:
underneath it ive wrapped a strip of fire blanket which seems pretty absorbent (didnt have time to put on a metal sheath) and it seems to work alright. and i found the more you burn it the better it gets