Forums > Social Chat > Destruction through Fire.

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I had an interesting day last week at school. (I'm a school teacher for those who don't know) I referred a kid who had been talking about playing with fire. I felt like such a narc but I knew I had to do it. He'd been talking about burning things and fire breathing with lighter fluid. The funniest part was my boss saying things like "what kind of person would go around burning things?" You can imagine, it was hard not to laugh.

It was a pretty obvious choice, once I realized that I thought the situation was more about destroying things than the fire. I guess, like all things, fire can be used in many different ways. I use it because it's pretty, not to destroy things that I don't like and certainly not to express anger. I wonder if there are any of you that were drawn to fire for negative reasons such as destruction or rage. The whole concept actually gave me a bit of a realization that we may joke a bit about being pyros and such but there are people out there who use fire violently and for rage. Kinda scary.

The final note was an "Oh my god, thank goodness that I'm not public about my fire performing with my kids!" Many people have expressed confusion as to why I've stayed anonomous to the general board. I don't think I could have been in a position to help this kid if he had believed that I, too, "played with fire"... Most kids would have been able to tell the difference between someone like me and someone who uses fire violently but that one or two that would use it to validate their own disfunctional use of fire would be very difficult to argue with. Plus parents would kick my butt...

Just one of those stories that was too obviously HoP related not to share...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
does melting plastic toys count, coz if'n it does i'm guilty.
But i play with fire coz it is cool...
and sort mezmerizing(can't spell)
like how can something so beautiful be so dangerous?
my poor "bucket o' soilders" didn't feel the same though.
They are currently a large glob.

[ 29. November 2002, 21:32: Message edited by: Mr.Box ]

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Fire is a beautiful thing, and a dangerous thing.

You did the right thing, NYC, and hopefully he will get the help he needs. It sounds like the problem is not so much a fascination with fire, but a fascination with power.

I can also understand that if he had known about your firespinning, he would have had something to help him avoid the problem.

You are a wonderful boyo, NYC

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
In my opinion a narc is someone who goes to the authorities for their own gain. NYC, your a teacher, you did your job. Don't worry about the kid, he will get over it and move on, either that or you'll see him start posting on this board hehe.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
unless i'm wrong in the dictionary...
a narc is a detective.
hmm...wonderful thing, a dictionary

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
No doubt, you did the right thing.

We all know fire has a, er, dark side and a light side.

Maybe you could turn him to the light by introducing him to spinning, but it'd have to be done with full understanding and consent from the head teacher.

After-school fire spinning classes? It's possible, but some kids are just too young.

If he continues to be obsessed with fire this might be the right avenue; as a positive channel for his energies.

At the very least a respected mentor who could explain why he should use kero instead of lighter fuel might make an impression.

Magnus... pay it forward

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I thought "narc" was slang for narcotics officer?

Anyhoo, yes NYC you did the right thing.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There is a difference between a fire performer and a pyromaniac. And if there isn't, then that performer needs to be viewed with extreme suspicion to the point of exclusion by the rest of the community.

We are already viewed as a threat by a lot of fire marshalls and by the public in general. But we tend to take safety very seriously. It's bad news when a pyro shows up.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bubblenutmember
14 posts

Posted:
I have to admit when I was a kid I liked fire because of the obvoius power it held, it could destroy anything in it's path and I encouraged to do so on many ocasions. However as I have grown up I changed my view of fire and now respect it for it's power but love it for it's beuty.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
What grade do you teach? From the sound of it I'd guess it's kids between the age of 11 and 15.

I've noticed that most kids go through a pyro phaze at some point in there life, and generally around that age. I did. I was totally fascinated by how the flame seemed to be a living concious entity. I knew a lot of kids who went through the same deal. And unfortunately I did end up causing some damage before I grew out of the whole thing (and yes I did grow out of it, as much as that might sound like a lie coming from some one on this board who spins almost exclusively with fire).

But don't feel like too bad NYC, you did what was best. I may be wrong about this but if it was found out that you had knowledge of this kid's distructive intentions and something(body) got damaged doesn't that result in your dismissal or at least a lot of unpleasent BS for a school teacher? And at lest bear in mind that had someone been hurt you would feel much worse than just feeling like a narc. So as you said, I believe the choice was obvious.

Jesus helps me trick people.