Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
This isn't a question. This is just something I want to just talk about (discus, I suppose!) and I feel that it would be lost in Social Chat.

Today I visited a school that is one of only three in Australia and the UK; a school that has a chidcare centre on the grounds and incorporated into the school so young mothers can continue their education. It caters for children from 6 weeks to 6 years and allows mothers from 15 to 19 to stay at school while still looking after their child to try and break "the cycle".

And I think it's brilliant. But the centre only has enough space for less than 50 children, and in the northern suburbs in my city alone there are 300 children born to teenage mothers each year. There is on in my city (Geelong), one in Perth and one in Manchester. They have trouble finding funding and I think that's really sad. But some people had a vision and I don't think I could speak more highly of it.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've read a report about a student exchange to... ummmm... was it Uruguay? Equador? Some South American country, and apparently it's quite common there smile

I love it when 2nd or 3rd World countries show us how it's done smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Totally, unfortunately it's kind of a drop on a hot stone - but drop by drop the stone gets cooler.

For teenage mothers to finish their education is so essential in order to push for independance. My mum (although not teenage at the time) was not finishing Uni because of my brother and we were greatly depending on insufficient allemonies, while she was working her ass off in a crappy job.

Only three schools like that? Money is the big issue when it comes to useful things - why is child education still no prestige project of any government?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I wish ther were more around over here, (&everywhere else) There never seems to be enough places to cover every teenage mother who wants to continue education. Having been a teenage mother, I was very glad of being able to finish my high school through correspondence school. Not quite the same as a school that provides childcare, but better than just dropping out.
Hopefully society can learn to look upon teenage mothers as people to be helped, not just to attach a "stigma" to of being "below" everybody else. Then maybe there could be more funding for this type of school.

PS catering for 6 wk olds right up to 6 year olds is nearly unheard of over this side of the Tasman.... your lucky to get to 2 years old over here.
Long live people with your attitude Rouge Dragon hug

Are you up for it?
wink;)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My college as a child care course, and it runs a nursary for studants with kids. It has, obviously, fully train child carers and the studants can do there training there too.

Kills 2 birds with one stone smile

It would be a good idea to start up nursarys in schools. I know alot of school are starting up an NVQ in childcare to run along with the studants other GCSE's. My old school started running one this september, and as always, has plentiful teenage mothers...
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1135095003)