Page:
Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I managed to get my hands on some small laser units, similar to the ones found in those little pen lasers, and some light splitters. I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit them into the ends of a staff and who they looked.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
give minimaniac a pm, i think he has a laser staff, though from what i've heard its best when there's a smoke machine, or lots of fog

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Not that I've tried it, or know much about it in particular, but couldn't such an item have the potential of damaging an eye?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Tried this one before, works fairly well, but as previously mentioned to get a half decent effect your going to need supporting effects such as smoke and or fog machine(s).

mark

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Lasers can absolutely damage eyes. This sounds like a reckless idea. But it'd only be the audience that could get hurt so go for it. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
The lasers I have are "Class 1" which are weaker than those found in your average CD player (which are generally "Class 2") and haven't got enough power to damage the eye.

Gasuyinamember
30 posts
Location: Currently nr Salisbury, but occasionally Bath, or ...

Posted:
If you combined it with fibre optics you know like the spaceship lampy things, you could have bits going everywhere...

--,--'--|@

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
a laser in a staff? is that not a lightsabre? lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

The lasers I have are "Class 1" which are weaker than those found in your average CD player (which are generally "Class 2") and haven't got enough power to damage the eye.

Cool.. just a link out of curiousity that might be interesting to others:

https://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation/faq/laser/laser9.htm

spin in fog, get a vid smile

Actually, it's quite foggy out here often, I oughta look into gettin some laser equipment smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I will as soon as I can finish building the staff and get my hands on a camera

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
now a lazer contact ball, that would be cooooool!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Any laser that is used in pens is not dangerous to people's eyes unless they stare directly at it for a prelonged time (more than a second...).

I've been playing with bigger lasers in clubs for a while and as long as you keep the beam moving it shouldnt do any harm.

I'm guessing that you have red beams - they can generally only be seen in smoke or mist (or CO2 but thats a bit harder to organise). You can get green laser pens. They have a much stronger beam and are much more easily visible (it is the most easily visible frequency to the human eye). They can be seen clearly as long as its dark. They tend to cost quite a bit though.

You can also get a prismatic filter for lasers that will split a single beam into several less powerful beams. This creates a kind of fan effect.

I've been considering a laser staff for a while now but havent yet had the courage to takle the project. I'll be moved into my new house by new year though so I may get on the case.

PM me if you want any details smile

hockeydude121newbie
3 posts

Posted:
where can u usually find these lasers?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks Seye.

My dad is a physics lecturer so I can get my hands on any kind of lasers (bar the uber big ones that they do research on) really easily. I didn't think about using green ones but if they work better then I'll try them. I'm currently working on padding the laser enclosures as I broke one after a drop. Also I've got to find a way of weighting the staff properly so that I can do contact with it. I might also try putting both red and green into one staff...

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
Yeah good idea about the red and green in one staff, they're opposite colours and look quite cool together

"Quote coming soon..."

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
At the moment I have one build where there is a small button in the grip of the staff that allows me to change the colour between red/green/both. I've not had the time to properly test it yet because I'm still working on the padding for the ends so that I don't break the lasers or splitters when I drop. After I get that sorted I'm going to work on the weighting (its far to light for contact which is what I really want to use it for) and then post video.

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
can't wait...

"Quote coming soon..."

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:

You can also get a prismatic filter for lasers that will split a single beam into several less powerful beams. This creates a kind of fan effect.

What would be good is if you could have a fan affect coming out of each end with half the fan red and half the fan green.

But using lazers in a staff this is a great idea I might have to give it ago myself. Will have to wait a while as at the moment I'm working on a combination Glow/Fire staff but in making it strong enough to protect the LED's it has become a heavy staff. That might be a problem that will occur with a lazer staff with the more coloured lazers you add. ubbidea devil

To play it safe is not to play

webdaemonBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
i have 2 green 125mW lasers from https://wickedlasers.com
they are Very reliable and can even be seen in the day time. i brought them to burning man last year it was my first year...

P.S. these WILL cause blindness and burns on skin... not ment for staff/poi or other. there are other lasers there that might be more suitable.

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
You'll want to make the area smokey, otherwise the laser is not visible, lol.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

joepublicnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
OOOOOOOOOOH NO! don't use green, green are much higher energy than red, much more likely to burn someone's retina off.
"i have 2 green 125mW lasers from https://wickedlasers.com
they are Very reliable and can even be seen in the day time."
If you can see it well in the day time, you definitely don't want it in your eye...

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Actually joe, you can get green lasers which don't have enough power to burn the retina. The "Class" system is based on average output so if you want to use green lasers then you should look for Class 1 as they don't have enough power to burn anything (unless you're willing to stare into them for hours at a time). Class 2 don't normally burn before your body naturally reacts to them.

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Red is the strongest, a ruby is used to straighten, and change concentration of light.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
No. Blue would be the strongest type of laser due to the amount of energy in the photons that are produced. Red is the weakest as there is less energy.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
The strength of the laser is not of great concern in light shows. What you want is the most easily visible colour. Supposedly the easiest colour to see with the naked eye is green and all green lasers are tuned to a specific frequency for this reason.

I really want to buy a computer controlled laer and hire it out for shows because I've been playing with them for years. Its just a lot of money.

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
someone should try this with green lazers....the beam of green lazers is visible as well as the focal point...this could be really cool

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I'm trying it with both green and red lasers in the same staff. The problem I'm having at the moment is finding some way to manually switch between them (think the aerotech tap change thingy). Anyone got any ideas?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
A switch? umm

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
i wana see a pic of this ^o^

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

Flaeyr_Munklefistnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Well, your best bet is to do a bit of wiring and soldering if you want an easy on/off button on the outside of the staff. There are two-channel switches for sale at a local electical supplier. You would have to basically run a wire from the positive lead to one channel on the switch, then run a wire to the negative lead from the switch (put some non-conductive padding on the back of the batteries so that only the new wire touches them). This hot-wires your laser to react to the button. Set up the other color to the second channel and voila, both can be controlled from that same terminal. Stuff it near the end of the staff to prevent careless flicking, and you should be set. Consider pipe insulation for padding inside the staff, since it is cheap and you can cut the foam as needed.

An easier option is to have an attachable cap at each end. Before and after your spin, just unscrew it and click the lasers on and off. Much less electronic fiddling. If you want a rough diagram of the circuit I described above, PM me smile.

There was once a man who dreamt he was a butterly, and when he awoke, he wished he would wake again to find his wings.

MacGyver2210Member
3 posts

Posted:
Wow, I wonder that any of you lot can still see at all tongue

If you didn't follow the well informative link earlier in this thread explaining the class system, anything class 1M(sometimes) or above is potentially damaging to the eye.

The weakest pen laser I have ever seen is a class 2B laser, which is still a good deal higher than safe for eye exposure. The thing to remember is: this 'eye damage' takes a good amount of time to occur, and will not happen if a laser flashes in your eye just briefly(like from a spinning staff...). Typically, with a class 3 or lower laser, exposure time must be almost a full second before any damage occurs.

Whoever it was that posted the link to WickedLasers.com, good site. I own a 125 and 155mW green laser. Yes, those are real dangerous(can pop a balloon from 10ft away with the 155mW model), but staring at the dot on a white wall is more dangerous than using them in a staff.

Here is a setup that can guarantee your staff won't light unless it's spinning(if made right):

S = Switch, M = mercury switch, L = laser

L-M-=========S=========-M-L

This gives you a switch for overall control, and when mounted with the gravity trigger towards the ends of the staff, the staff won't light unless the centripetal force of spinning the staff forces the mercury in the M switches to the outside. Note: Mercury is some mean crap, and if you're swinging this around near people, may not be a good idea....

Page: