Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I have a patient on my service who is a 15-year-old girl who was infected with HIV at birth. She is now in end-stage AIDS. Her strain of HIV is resistant to multiple drugs. She's on a relatively new drug called T20 or FUZEON which is a fusion inhibitor. And she's slowly dying.

The other night I was doing a blood draw on her and when I pulled the needle out of her vein, I dropped it and it bumped, sharp end first, into my thumb. At this point, my testicles promptly shrivled up and retracted into my abdominal cavity.

So I calmly walked out of the room and took off the glove. I inspected my thumb. I had never felt a poke and, thankfully, there was no break at all in the skin.

I then dumped some water into the glove and it didn't leak.

The risk of contracting HIV from a needle stick is 0.3%, so the risk is tiny (less than 1:300) but even still, I came face-to-face with my own mortality in a way I never imagined that night.

Simple prophylaxis (usually after a needle stick you go on AZT and a protease inhibitor for a month) wouldn't have done because the patient's virus was resistant to that. Had that incident led to an infection, I would be a goner.

Instead, I'm spared.

And today is another day that I am thankful for my health and my life.

Be well. And be thankful. hug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
hug

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Oh good God Mike! Reading that scared the hell outta me!

hugs

kisss

and all the rest!!

ubblove

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

xorbaMIA
147 posts

Posted:
hug

All that is solid melts into air

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
When I saw the title of this thread, oh man, I was so scared for you, dude.

I'm glad you're okay.

hug

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
yay for gloves. hug Take care of yourself.

EDIT- I hate to be personal doc, but do you know the *cough history of all of your partners? jw as it's semi related and I'm worried, don't have to answer if you don't want to. smile
EDITED_BY: KaelGotRice (1133578149)

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Rickeynewbie
1 post

Posted:
u are really lucky.be careful next time pls.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Its a risk you must face everyday, this person was a known risk but I am sure many you bleed are not. Phlebotomy is a tricky thing.

When our kids were really young and we both worked in labs we didnt wear work shoes in the house as there were always spills in the lab as we have heard Hep B can be pretty robust even if its not the sentance HIV is.

I feel for the girl who had no choice in contracting the disease and is such a risk to her caregivers. She would feel like a murderer if you contracted the disease from her.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
Bah i hate needles. Great respect to you Doctors. Sticking needles into people i could never do it. Please be careful i like Doctors, there nice.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

Hairy TaitBRONZE Member
109 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear you're ok......!! That's a pretty scary story......!

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
be more carefull with your sharps

i havent had a stick yet (runs round to touch every avalibal bit of wood in the room)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

say_cheeseSILVER Member
Brown
288 posts

Posted:
hug

i hate those MDR strains of viruses and bacteria for that matter..

*runs to the kitchen to find some nutella*

Official Nutella Fan Club

Go Nutella!

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
oh my god doc! was gonna say, say the thread title and was like OOOOO! but thank god your alright! jeeeeesus. hug

take care! we need sexy doctors like you to stay FIT and healthy!! biggrin

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
You would think they could invent some better needles for hospitals, ones that make the tip retract or something so this cant happen.

*hugs doc* yaaaay docs ok. Now I suggest wearing these from now on lol

Non-Https Image Link

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
If the tip retracts, surely that defies the point??? ubblol

(Notice that? Defies the *point*? Ha. Ha. Ha. biggrin )

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
lolsign

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

yay for gloves. hug Take care of yourself.

EDIT- I hate to be personal doc, but do you know the *cough history of all of your partners? jw as it's semi related and I'm worried, don't have to answer if you don't want to. smile

I don't have anal sex outside of relationships. And I've never had sex without a condom. In my world view, EVERYONE is HIV+.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gnor

When our kids were really young and we both worked in labs we didnt wear work shoes in the house as there were always spills in the lab as we have heard Hep B can be pretty robust even if its not the sentance HIV is.

Hep B doesn't scare me. I'm immune. You should be, too. If not go to your doctor and get vaccinated.

Hep C, on the other hand....

-Mike

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

You would think they could invent some better needles for hospitals, ones that make the tip retract or something so this cant happen.

I used to work in the purchasing department of a hospital before I started University.

Unfortunately, many hospitals in this country, I can't speak for elsewhere in the world, are very tight-fisted. they don't like spending money where they don't have to. If they can get something else, that does the necessary job for cheaper, they will. for this to be developed, would take thousands of pounds in product innovation alone, not to mention the actual cost of these to the end user. A lot of hospitals would rather say to their Staff: 'Be careful' instead of having to increase expenditure. Remembering also, in this country, governmental issues such as funding and the like...

It's a shame that hospitals are run more like businesses nowadays, focussing more on income than the actual job they do. frown

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So the needles. The needles we use for starting IV's are attached to these spring-loaded thingies where you press a button and the needle *SNICK!* retracts into the handle and you could pass it to a bunch of six-year-olds and they couldn't poke themselves with it.

But the blood draw needles, while retractable, take two hands to retract. They really need a better design.

-Mike

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

But the blood draw needles, while retractable, take two hands to retract. They really need a better design.

Out of interest, Doc, Can I ask what needles you use for blood drawing?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ooooops ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying spank hug

be careful man, how will i ever get to tease you otherwise?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Long_Time_Coming

Written by: Doc Lightning

Out of interest, Doc, Can I ask what needles you use for blood drawing?

They're "butterfly" needles. Vaccutainer, I think

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'd still go for butterflies. Noone ever finds my veins with bigger needles, though some of the surgeries here only have big ones to save money, and then use up 5 needles and 2 nurses' and 1 doc's time without getting any blood from me. It was worse when I was a child. But yeah, I can see how they are tricky to remove...

A friend's relative got Hepatitis C from a needlestick injury frown It's so horrible to see people get sick while they're trying to help others. Big respect to everyone who does.

Here's a quote from the HepB foundation by the way, the numbers for chronic infection seem a bit high, but the main point is, you CAN get vaccinated. Unfortunately it's expensive when not done for and covered by work, but it's worth it:

Written by:

Most healthy adults (90%) who are infected will recover and develop protective antibodies against future hepatitis B infections. A small number (5-10%) will be unable to get rid of the virus and will develop chronic infections. Unfortunately, this is not true for infants and young children — 90% of infants and up to 50% of young children infected with hepatitis B will develop chronic infections. Therefore, vaccination is essential to protect infants and children.

Hepatitis B is 100 times more infectious than the AIDS virus, yet it can be prevented with a safe and effective vaccine. For the 400 million people worldwide who are already chronically infected with hepatitis B, the vaccine is of no use. The future, however, is much brighter with the current advances in drug development and treatment options.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
glad you're ok dude...
hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear you're all right. Well, physically anyway. wink

15... is that how long kids born with HIV last?

Your job sucks. frown

(One of those pattented NYC sarcastic/nonsarcastic comments... you do the math...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
nyc, my ex-bf's friend died at 11, by which time she couldn't move, was blind, and cared for by her grandmother because the mother was dead already. It all depends on strain, medication etc, not all kids last until 15 frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
Wow what a story. Its times like that, which you look at your life and how lucky you are to be healthy and alive. Reminds you to love your friends and your family and more important make sure you tell them. There’s always a chance that tomorrow will never happen, sad but true. Id love to say that I live everyday like it’s my last but in this day and age, does anyone? We are generation which is consumed by material things and forget what really matters in life. A lot of people will prefer to spend £90 on a T-shirt then even give £5 a month to charity’s or research clinics which try to help/stop things like this happening. My heart goes out to the girl. What a strong, strong person she must be and to be born with HIV and live to 15, wow. Glad that you are well and good doc and well done for doing such a wonderful job. I personally wouldn’t be a strong enough person to do it.

Quote from doc: And today is another day that I am thankful for my health and my life.

Colourful but not very bright.

Blu_valley: oh, and thats the only place where you get the ability to multiple-orgasm Baby Lee...the only place in the universe.

boopoiBRONZE Member
99 posts

Posted:
Sometimes it takes a scare like this to really appreciate life and not take things for granted shrug

Always remember... one MUST protect thy bread....

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

I hate to be personal doc, but do you know the *cough history of all of your partners? jw as it's semi related and I'm worried, don't have to answer if you don't want to. smile

I know it is none of my business and please do tell me if you think I am wrong, but as a gay man myself I thought that remark was a bit below the belt. Since when was HIV just a gay mans disease? Would you of asked the same question if Doc was a straight man?

Colourful but not very bright.

Blu_valley: oh, and thats the only place where you get the ability to multiple-orgasm Baby Lee...the only place in the universe.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I thought that for a second, but you know im sure it just all came out wrong. Pisses me off when people bring up HIV in the conversation (espeacially my parents) I feel like turning around and telling them the condoms are used more in the gay community than the straight these days, so you know its you guys who need to stop spreading it. but hell what do they know they can talk about it all they want Im not as botherd anymore if there just ignorent about this sort of thing.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Page: