Page:
squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
There is a shop near where i live that sells poi and fire poi. quite a few of the younger spinners i've met have bought their fire poi from there and i've had a look at them - shoddy chains, dodgy links etc - and i'm not convinced they're safe. no-ones had an accident...yet.

The shop owners aren't spinners themselves so i guess they probably havent considered the danger aspect of the props. however we're getting growing local exposure including a spread in the local newspaper, and i dont want that to be followed up with a whole bunch of kids running out, buying the props and burning themselves (and the next weeks newspaper full of reports on how terrible poi is etc!). (there will be a safety aspect to the article and probably a links section or something but i'm still worried)

so what do i do? do i do anything? i've been considering waltzing in and handing the shop owner a HoP card and some details about HoP/firetoys etc but i don't know how well they'll take it or whether they'd even listen to me.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
maybe you could ask how they test their products for wear and tear and also for strength and safety? Then take it from there...

They may not have even thought about it as you say.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
You could just walk in, say "I'm not really convinced they're safe" and point out your problems in a calm and collected manner. Most people will respond nicely.

If that doesn't work, drop hints about what might happen if some kid hurts themselves with their unsafe merchandise... That should get their attention. Especially, as you say, with the media attention.

You're right to be concerned. It's nice that someone cares, rather than thinking "Hahaa Suckers! You're gonna have accidents while all of my HoP bought gear will never hurt me!" biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
i do spend a lot of my time picking on little kids 'no! buy them from here, here, here or here! this will break! that will kill you! YOU COULD SET A KITTEN ON FIRE!'

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Do you have some fire poi from hop yourself? You could go in and show them how safe your pair is, and how shoddy and dangerouse there pairs are, whats wrong with them anyway? Weak links? Sharp bits? Poi attached with extremly sliceable cheese wire type stuff?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
weak links and the chains look like they'll fall apart if they get too hot. plus some of them don't have a swivel.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
The lighter I bought from there leaked from every orifice as well.

I'll come with when i'm back home if you want.

Do any of them still have those poi? They might listen a bit better if you have physical proof of something gone wrong that they can see.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
thats the point, as far as i know nothing has gone wrong...yet.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
this is a quote taken from my post about cheap poi being made3 in a sweat shop.........

"a pair of large monkey fist poi that i was not overly keen on paying money for, the attachment from the chain to the fist was simply a loop of the kevler rope and i thought this was a bit dangerous (plus they where stupidly expencive)"

i now feel i have to warn of the danger of these if they are still being stocked

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Matt still has some, whether he uses them or not is a differnet matter.
squarexbear and myself gave him a big long lecture about what was wrong with them..
At least they're not as bad as that pair cruff had made for him - the tinest amount of kevlar you've ever seen, attached to a keyring link, then the wick was wrapped and held together by copper wire. I was not best pleased.

7,193 posts

Posted:
eek i can imagine.........sounds well dodgey

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Curious, these wouldn't have white kevlar wrapped around a tube-core that you can bend between your fingers, coupled to a split ring that you can comfortably stretch and snap links that snap with very little provocation, with chrome plated mild steel ball link / or chrome plated brass chain. I think the Brand Full Moon Beach Party comes to mind here, there are some examples currently on ebay.

Item number: 6013394663, for an example of really unsafe fire poi, the scary thing is there is a certain shop in southampton still selling these things, the only other place I've seen them for sale was a isle of wight shop whom quickly took them off sale and returned them the their supplier.

And yes I've tested these to destruction one evening, didn't take very long,

mark

7,193 posts

Posted:
i don't know what company made these, but the shops main suppler is "poipoi" i thought when i first saw them they looked dodgey

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

this is a quote taken from my post about cheap poi being made3 in a sweat shop.........

"a pair of large monkey fist poi that i was not overly keen on paying money for, the attachment from the chain to the fist was simply a loop of the kevler rope and i thought this was a bit dangerous (plus they where stupidly expencive)"

i now feel i have to warn of the danger of these if they are still being stocked

i had a pair just like those that actually did break after 15 burns, the shop i bought them from got them from an outside supplier that supplies all of the juggling equipment in there. It was hard to tell how these ones were fixed though until the kevlar started coming away, but they also produced a very strange smell when they burnt, which i think was some kind of synthetic core. I only ever used them in the garden away from other people and animals, because i could tell they would break pretty soon. Damn shame though otherwise they were a nice weight for monkeyfists.

I have seen one other shop though that is selling poi with a really large chunk of metal exposed where it is attached to the chain, i think they are actually be mr. babache, but they look really dodgy to me, not neccessarily that they would break but this huge bit of metal could cause some very nasty skin burns!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kieron

The lighter I bought from there leaked from every orifice as well.

don't quote me on this but i reckon anyhting that leaks from every orofice is probably bad for your health in some way.
[images]https://spinferno.com/images/forum/smiley/what_the.gif[/images]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

I have seen one other shop though that is selling poi with a really large chunk of metal exposed where it is attached to the chain, i think they are actually be mr. babache, but they look really dodgy to me, not neccessarily that they would break but this huge bit of metal could cause some very nasty skin burns!

yep, aimee has some of those thoughtfully supplied by her stepfather. the metal does get pretty hot. i don't understand why there is such a length of exposed core though?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

It was hard to tell how these ones were fixed though until the kevlar started coming away, but they also produced a very strange smell when they burnt, which i think was some kind of synthetic core.

We, at www.tePOOKatoys.com, got some Kevlar rope from our suppliers which was Kevlar cored with some other cotton like material. It looked great and was really cheap, but disintergrated after two burns. Like completely disintergrated. Fortunately we test all our gear ourselves at our own gigs. Fortunately we care about making quality products. It keeps me up at night thinking about the people who quite happily make toys with these sh*tty cheap materials and plug them to newbies.
eek eek eek

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

1,643 posts

Posted:
ah-ha, yes this could be it, it was pretty [censored]. but also the centre ball of the monkey fist was something weird too, by the time i was able to pull it apart they'd all fallen to bits and gone black so it was hard to tell what... i think these poi were probably quite toxic for the atmosphere also....

199 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I know a lot of people who make monkey fists around small squares of wood, which helps them keep shape. But I've found if you do a good knot with a decent amount of wick then you don't need it.
cool

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

1,643 posts

Posted:
dammit, i don't need new poi but the way you're talking is making me want to buy monkeyfists from tepooka! the power of advertising ubblol but i already bought my staff from you guys and it's cool so... hooray for you lot!

199 posts

Posted:
Written by: Malcolm

See [Old link]

That's a really useful thread, cheers biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ben, will you quit doing naughty advertising stuff? This is homeofpoi man! biggrin

I could list all the things wrong with beach party fire poi, but my hands are really cold, and I don't think they could take all the typing. But I might yet anyway.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

199 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Ben, will you quit doing naughty advertising stuff? This is homeofpoi man! biggrin

i just didn't want people to think I was some innocent and neutral party... thought it best to be upfront. wink

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
right, so i went in on a completely different mission (to see if they had any new and interesting plugs in..) ended up having a quick chat to the woman. she was pretty defensive but i explained that i was more concerned about her business than anything else etc etc and offered to go in with some details of other places that can supply poi at wholesale..she seemed ok with that. ok in the way that 'yeah bring them in i'll look at them (and throw them in the bin)'

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
report them to trading standords.

you cant sell unsaffe stuff its just not on

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yup, cos selling stuff that whirls around really fast and is on fire is safe. Like I want trading standards stopping all fire toy production in this country.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
ok ok but everything sold to the public must be tested to do what it is supposed to do.

it wouldn’t be the fact it is designed to spin fire round (because that is what you would state in your product decryption) they would pick up on the fact that you cant do this for long with those or other shoddy equipment and failure of said equipment could cause unwanted harm..

they don’t ban skateboards but the do have standards to make them safe and not snap on you.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Do these poi have white wicks? are they imported from Thailand? I've had a few sets of these and mostly they haven't been a problem,,,,,,mostly.

One set did indeed have an aluminum tube core that I could crush with my fingers, and it was a good thing I noticed it after a few burns and decided just to use them unlit. They lasted about two hours before the split ring pulled right through the aluminum.

Other sets I've had have been fine, just get rid of those cheap swivel clips, I've broken four of them so far, and that was unlit too.

But if you really want to get them out of the shop, you might suggest that you think the wicking material is asbestos, and it just might be. Those white poi are cheap like dirt in Thailand ( about 8 USD per pair ) where proper kevlar tubecores go for 3-4 times that much.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
bloody hell! That's the kind of really bad fire toy I'm talking about. One bad egg could get the rest of us totally screwed by the government....

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
so lets try to get them off the market

Page: