Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Amid all the other discussions on HoP today, we seem to have overlooked two rather large and important stories happening in the world... so I'm posting a couple of threads... it'd be great to get some feedback. biggrin

Twelfth night of riots in France

So then... nearly 2,000 cars have been burnt out. One person has died.

Anyone any idea why? We have some splendid French spinners posting on here... Julien, Olive, Cass... can you comment?

What's it like over there? International press reports are never as good as the ones right there... Is the curfew affecting you? Or is it just in certain parts?

Hope you're all ok anyways... hug

Take care

Clare x

Getting to the other side smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
ah smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
isn't violence as much a part of life as pacifism? throughout known history there has been a constant cycle of war and peace, war and peace, effecting every known civilisation.

while morals(which some people believe do not even exist) dictate that we should be peaceful, they do not dictate on what scale, so you might love your neighbour as yourself, but howmany people really believe they are neighbours with bob from the sahara?

i'd say what is happening in france is the literal translation of "actions speak louder than words". maybe people have been complaining about the plight of the immagrants for years, maybe even a few decades. if they do not act when the chance comes, why should they ever act? while the French government sit in their airconditioned offices debating about how best to treat the 'unruly minority' that unruly minority are living in a prison. a prison of poverty which i'm not even going to describe.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
https://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,406474,00.html

More trouble in France, this time from the students. There's a new law saying people under 26 can be fired more easily, which apparently was introduced to improve young people's chances of getting employed...

Disregarding the violence, I'm impressed at the fact that more than 1 million people protest together.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Yes, I know all about these protests seeing as how I was marching in Rennes thursday to protest as well. Rennes is an educational city full of college students so its natural for there to have been a large protest here.
I was in class, and we heard the protesters screaming right outside the gates of our school. Apparently they were going to schools all over the city to recruite students to their cause.
The principal had security close the gates so we couldnt join them, I had already made it out beforehand so I was able to film and document what happened. Heres the video.

LEFT CLICK

If you're wondering what he's screaming, he's saying that we as students have the right to protest, and the principal legally has to let us out without punishment. Right now theres a huge debate going on at our school about what happened, and the principal is trying to expell some of the students who went to protest.

heres some pictures I took all over the city during the rest of the day

LEFT CLICK

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
Funny vid smile

In my city we have blocked the railway traffic at the station on thursday, this was a very friendly and non violent meeting. Now we need to keep on rallying and shouting we don't agree, we don't want this contract that makes young workers "hire and fire" employees wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
mmph, In australia there are new industrial relations laws coming in on monday that basically screw over all australians that earn less than $100 000pa. i find it sad that in france you have these big riots and voice your anger where as australians just sit back in utter disgust and do nothing. sometimes i think australia should have more violent protests.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yeah! stand up for yourselves!

but don't be nasty to people though....maybe you could just involve fower bombs & eggs...lol....always worked at school!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
Ok, the protests broke out all over again yesterday, this time much more extreme than they were the week before. The students of my school organized a blockade thrusday so none of us could get into school, then there were over 30,000 students marching in Rennes before police in riot gear came shooting gas and arresting everyone left and right. At one point the protesters were literally battling with the police in the streets, throwing bottles and kicking back any smoke flares shot at them.
I saw on the news that in Marseille the students were lying down on the traintracks, and in Paris they were overturning and burning cars. The protests are ridiculous now, and they'll get even worse I believe if the students dont get what they want soon.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
like in that new move "v is for vendetta",

"people shouldn't be afraid of their governments, the governments should be afraid of their people"

its the only way to keep the bast**ds partially honest

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AngeDeLumiere

in Paris [students] they were overturning and burning cars.

I don't think these were students, just troublemakers who do not deserve any respect. While some people rally and struggle for all, others prefer robbing and burning cars so the movement loses part of its credibility. The same guys who then whine and say nothing is done for them. France is a curious country...

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
I hope you're right, I just flicked on the tv and saw people burning cars.

yuhuumember
74 posts

Posted:
next year, the french population is going to vote for a new president...what's happening in the country right now is just showing us that the right wing is not listening to the people, and cannot help the youth in a good way...

the problem we had a few month ago, is not solved yet.. the troublemakers who burn cars in paris during the demontrastions are the same people who were burning cars during the riots of november..

government should do something, instead of using repression this is not what we need !!!

and I hope that our prime minister is going to change his mind and remove this stupid law pretty soon !!!

and I hope also that people will make the good choice for the next presidential election...otherwise the future of france is going to be very bad...
EDITED_BY: yuhuu (1143333134)

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
meh......................so the french are up in arms yet again (nothing new there) fuel price rises, fishing quota reductions you name it and the french revolt. i can't say i blame them........in England every year we get the budget and every year the same things go up in price.

I'm not advocating riots but when will it end, when will the government we elected (voted for the people, by the people) listen to the people?

i feel it's all about the money these days and less about the people, the people matter more than any government for it's the people that make the government.

one thing i have on my mind is what happens when the world oil reserves run out.............we won't build more nuke power stations because of public opinion and yet we wont build more sustainable power resorces because of public opinion and cost.

also we have to evolve to overcome the looming dread that the "grey vote" has......the older generation that out numbers us (as the youth). i read a news repot that suggested by the year 2050 people would work until the age of 85(due to longer life spans).

ok all my points may be invalid or just poo, I'm not half as clever as most of you and i have strong views i just hope I've provided an imparsial view point to this thread

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Sorry, but Chirac was making the last nuclear bomb testing in Mururoa despite international protests and still got re-elected. If it comes to voters and elections I have lost all my confidence in them, due to certain examples...

I am going back to look at people individually, that is less disenchanting. As to your points ravehead:

Money: It's not about the money (look at the national debt of EVERY country in the world, look at the mindblowing wealth of industrials at the same time), money is available - it's only and exclusively about POWER!

World oil reserves: There are more than one plan in the drawer to replace oil as the primary source of energy already... Drinkeable water makes me more concerned....

Ageing population: it's not HOW OLD WE GET, but HOW WE GET OLD... wink

Your points are valid! I just draw different conclusions from them....

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
hmm

"you can fool some of the people all the time, you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can fool the majority once every four years and retain power"

frown

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
indeed Mr Majestik I feel yr pain in regards the appalling laws that have been passed here on so many levels in recent years... and our almost total lack of capacity to respond...trivial media, cynicism and materialism, lack of any form of community participation by the vast majority of our population (I don't count voting on Big Brother as community participation...) on and on/
sigh
am quite depressed today

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
128 posts

Posted:
Heres a little video I took of the blockade the students of my school organized thursday, it went rather well.

Page: