• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > My Unfortunate Encounter

Login/Join to Participate

Klowny
BRONZE Member since Nov 2004

Klowny

Disco Inferno

Total posts: 160
Posted:I recently encountered a group of youths, not a lot younger than myself, who stopped to watch me spin in a local park, I dont mind people watching, infact, sometimes its a good thing. and they were fine atfirst watching and cooing at particular moves, but when my staff burnt out, they asked to be able to hold it and maybe try it, I thought "Yeah sure why not?" I mean its always good to spread the knowledge of spinning. But I was hood winked! the kids started throwing it around and trying to hit each other with it, generally just treating it poorly. And when I kindly requested that they stop and give it back, rude gestures and hand signals were made! When I eventually got it back off them, (using as little force as possible) it was too late the damage had been done, the middle piece had been bent in a bit as a result of them hitting it against trees and the wicking had been frayed qute severely. I was most upset, as it it like trying to getblood out of a stone, finding means of repairing or replacing firestaff equiptment. Now I have 2 questions, no.1 What is the world coming to when a spinner cant just be nice and have a kind gesture returned with the respecting of his equiptment, and no.2 Has any such situations occured with other spinners? and how did you react?

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

Delete Topic

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:Affraid nothing like that has happened to me. I generally don't let people I don't know use Vlad. I may let them use my little staff so if they p1ss around I got a bigger 1 to get it back

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Konsti

Konsti

lovable smart-ass

Total posts: 785
Posted:1) the world is full of idiots....
2) im not a pacifist
I once encountered a drunk kid at a forest party who just took my fire ropes!!! dipped them into paraffin and was about to light them up. i started yelling at him and when he didnt react, I gave him a good b1tch-slap across the head, the classic backhand to the face, just to demonstrate how serious i am.
sometimes force is necessary to prevent people from seriously injuring themselves. imagine what damage a completely drunk kid could cause himself with some fire ropes.....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Delete

Lemonkey

Lemonkey

Stalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...

Total posts: 1019
Posted:Ahhh, chavs are becoming global!

Willy - is bad for your health...

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:1 thing that happened to me though.... I was fire spinning at a party for the new year and some drunk kid stole the parafin whilst I was spinning adamant he knew how to fire breathe. I had to throw my staff to the floor and chase the drunken idiot before he harmed himself or others....some people are complete idiots....(luckily I caught him and expressed what would happen if he did anything like that again...)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Spiral

Spiral

Oolering Man

Total posts: 729
Posted:I'm always getting my stuff nicked.... it might have something to do with the fact I'm always leaving it in corners, and I trust no-one will nick it.... but yeah, it always grows legs or meets someone with sticky fingers.

Delete

Klowny
BRONZE Member since Nov 2004

Klowny

Disco Inferno

Total posts: 160
Posted:Yeah all nasty situations, and im not afraid to knock the kids out, but its also the fact none were drunk! they were completely sober and seemiongly just out to do damage, it was just plain malicious! I dont know how people can want to do things liek that, what sick pleasures people get out of causing others problems is beyond me.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

Delete

blu_valley
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

blu_valley

fluffy mess

Total posts: 197
Posted:I'm all for sharing the spinny love, but unless I am entirely sure someone is already a spinner(normally judged by the way someone asks to have a go etc) I am very reluctant to allow a complete stranger off the street to play with my equipment. I do however carry some practice poi with me most of the time,theyve been broken before and I dont mind anybody playing with them...I fingd it saves me a lot of hassle.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Delete

Arty Farty
BRONZE Member since Jul 2005

Arty Farty

I wear yellow on monday

Total posts: 551
Posted:Yep, ditto Blu.

The way people ask is key. The words PLAY, SPIN or TWIRL indicate whether they are ture poiers/staffers etc. Up untill now, Ive had no trouble with people abusing my equipment, they are very interested by what im doing, or want to learn new tricks.

Id definately say watch out for drunken begginers. I had many come up to me at the Bestival attempting to do quite difficult tricks. They dont take no for an answer either!!

You'll find me on the dance floor

Delete

Sporky

Sporky

addict

Total posts: 663
Posted:I usually play "Xander's Magical Name That Trick Game" with someone who I don't know asking to borrow my gear. I usually do something like a 3btweave-flower turn (a 3bt weave to reverse 3bt with one beat of flower thrown in as you turn) and act as though I don't know the name of it, most non-spinners won't notice the flower beat. I've also had people come up and tell me how to fire breathe while performing with the guy who ppractically taught me ("use lycopodium because paraffin is too dangerous and do this...") and have been told how to butterfly while doing TTN ("cross your wrists but don't switch your hands over").

I'm almost always willing to teach people how to spin so I carry a set of practice poi and a spare staff, made from a broom handle, that I give out to people who want to learn how to spin and have dayglo covers for my fire gear to show people what to do. I figure that one of the most important things about spinning is the willingness to spead the arts by teaching others.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Delete

Pigeon_Wigeon
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Pigeon_Wigeon

Say what?

Total posts: 4760
Posted:GRR!!!!!! Ok.. just got back from a spin sesh in Victoria Park and man am I ...annoyed..

Happily spinning away.. took my watch off and phone out of pocket and left about 30 cms away on my staff bag.... a group of about 6 youths like ages... 10-12 I reckon come along so I put my watch on and stick my phone in (stupidly) my back pocket... they stop and ask what is it I reply "fire staff" they they keep saying "prove it" I'm telling them I can't I have no paraffin. One asks if he can have a go.. I reluctantly hand my staff over.. he's fine.. plays a bit and returns it... I turn around and find my other staffs have disappeared from my staff bag and are being mistreated..I ask for there return I get abuse but the lad from before collects them for me... then... one of them takes my phone from my back pocket.. this is when I started to get annoyed...after about 10 minutes of me requesting it back and them throwing it from person to person sometimes dropping it I got peeved... I raised my voice and swore at them.. this just further provoked them.. so I went up to a scary looking skinhead in a bomber jacket and bikerboots and asked politely if he would help me... he walked over.. they scarpered... I went to where they had disappeared and one reappeared handed me my phone then pegged it again.... I'm so angry... why why why why why!!!
What is the point to it? Why bother doing it? I try to be nice and get treated like that in return? frown

Delete

VampyricAcid
SILVER Member since Jun 2005

VampyricAcid

veteran

Total posts: 1286
Posted:exessive force is your friend, if you are lucky enough to catch one, pin him to the ground no matter how much he cries until his mates give your stuff back, generally pinning them with an armlock, and maybe a knee on their spine does the trick, its my stuff, you take it i break you, also fire poi to the cheek would calm them down a tad.

My problem is im a skinny runt, and so they decide im easy prey, once you prove them otherwise you generally get your stuff back, and get to have a bit of fun

sorry this is the mood im in atm

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

_Aime_
SILVER Member since Jan 2004

_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4172
Posted:Aaahh paragraphs! I like paragraphs!

Fortunatly the only thing chavs ask me for is roll ups.

Delete

Pigeon_Wigeon

Pigeon_Wigeon

Say what?

Posted:Lol rather a rant I know... but I got upset about the way they treated me and my poor phone frown

Delete

alien_oddity

alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 7193
Posted:Written by: blu_valley

I am very reluctant to allow a complete stranger off the street to play with my equipment.

redfaceooooo the inuendo ubblol

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:Ah what a bunch of bastards, probably kids with ADHD or something, seems to be loads of them about, especially the case with kids bashing the staff against a tree.

Im yet to have a tail to tell about this stuff, since I get embarresed about spinning infront of anyone, unless im surounded by other spinenrs.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

Krad
BRONZE Member since Oct 2005

Krad

Total posts: 60
Posted:Aye was a little bit annoying tbh, I wouldnt say they had ADHD just seemed like a group of w*nkers, tho I dread to think what they will be like at my age *shudders*

Still the skin head was a lovelly guy, The Friendly Neighbourhood Cider Man! As I have adopted calling him, as he was drinking Strongbow... serprisingly ubblol

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:Chavs are lame.

Had a bunch of 'em at school here strarting a fight big time during the fireworks.

Losers.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Pigeon_Wigeon

Pigeon_Wigeon

Say what?

Posted:Yush... *growls*

Delete

VampyricAcid
SILVER Member since Jun 2005

VampyricAcid

veteran

Total posts: 1286
Posted:i sounded really violent then didnt i? i'm not i promise, im little and fluffy!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

Pigeon_Wigeon

Pigeon_Wigeon

Say what?

Posted:*pats* hello small fluffy thing smile

Delete

Mr_Chutney
SILVER Member since Apr 2003

Mr_Chutney

Tosser

Total posts: 1711
Posted:Written by: Brit_Joe

Ah what a bunch of bastards, probably kids with ADHD or something, seems to be loads of them about, especially the case with kids bashing the staff against a tree.

Joe, I really don't know what you think you know about ADHD, but such a broad generalisation is not really fair. Did you know that several well respected members of HOP have ADHD. They don't beat staffs against trees.

Please could you be a little more measured before you make references like this again. Thanks

Chutney

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:*raises hand*

I have ADHD.

*bashes Joe with a staff*

Sorry, mate, I just can't help myself. wink

hug

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Firetramp

Firetramp

old hand

Total posts: 896
Posted:Many youngsters don't know how to respect other people's property. And they are superprotective about their own stuff because they know it's not safe in the hands of others. It's a vicious circle, I see it everyday, I'm a teacher.
I'd say, follow your intuition. If you don't trust the person, don't be afraid to refuse. I've even lied before saying the stuff was not mine, I was borrowing it myself etc.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Delete