• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > A request for recycled fabric

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Skulduggery
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain

Total posts: 8428
Posted:I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I put it in here, although I have a feeling it will get lost pretty quickly.

Anyway......

Next year at the Play festival I was hoping to make a large-ish communial art work. I was thinking along the lines of a large canvas/piece of paper to which we attach smaller art works into a collage. I had thought of making a bird out of Festival goers hand prints, using the hand prints as feathers, but as we are a bunch of fire spinners how about a fire with a pheonix coming out of the flames?

I also thought it would be nice if the younger visiters to the festival got to be a bit artistic. After a bit of thinking I came up with the idea of me making a whole load of blank Faery/Elf/Bat wings and letting the children paint them up with glitter and fabric paints. Once they had dried off over night the kids could do a bit of a parade of the Faery/bat/elf/pixie folk around the site to show off their work. After the festival they would get to take them home to remind them of the fun they had. The wings are made of a wire frame with tights stretched over them.

If I can find enough fabric to recycle I might even try making a Play rag rug with the Play Logo across it. I'm going to have to work out how and if it could be done.

So, what I want to ask you good people of HoP to do for me is to save any stockings/tights that are pretty colours or black (no flesh tones please as they look odd as wings) that are pass their wear by date. If they have holes or ladders in them don't throw them out as I can probably recycle them. All I ask is you wash them before sending them to me smile .

If I do work out how to make the rug I will also be looking for donations of fabric. It will have to be a cotton based fabric so that I can dye it the right colours for the rug. Old cotton sheets would be great, or cotton shirts that have got a bit frayed at the edges... that kind of thing.

For the Communal art work I'd need donations of paint, paper and or canvas. If you have tins of enamel house paint with just a dribble left in them or poster paints you no longer think you need, paper you can spare, Canvases that you don't mine us painting over......

Basically this idea will only work if enough people get behing it. Recycling unwanted things into art works can be rewarding and fun. I can't do it on my own and the play festival is on a very tight budget and won't be able to fund it.

If you feel you would like to help out with this by donating items or would like to get more involved by being part of the team that runs all this just PM me.

Thank you.
ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete Topic

Sym
BRONZE Member since Sep 2004

Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest

Total posts: 1858
Posted:hug

great idea! I'll see what I can do... biggrin

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:bump

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:Skully if you were here I could send you so much material you would be ..um.. biggrin..tries to think of a way to get it over there....fails

Great idea...go for it!!!!

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

Sym
BRONZE Member since Sep 2004

Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest

Total posts: 1858
Posted:You could bring it to PLAY 2006....

wink

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

Dr_Molly

Dr_Molly

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2354
Posted:That sounds like a fab idea Skully!

I'll have a rummage and see what I've got.

How big do the pieces of fabric have to be?
And is it no good if the fabric is coloured?

(I have lots of bits and pieces for the hippies to make flowers out of you see) smile

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:Molly I'll take anything I'm offered. If the rag rug comes into existance I'll design a pattern around what fabric I have. If the rag rug turns out to be something I can't do because of needing a wood frame, or some other thing that stops me, we can use all the fabric to make things like fancy dress for the kids. Fabric can be turned into soooooo many things that are fun. If we could get filling, we could stitch it all together into large cushions for people to lounge on in the big top when the shows are on....

I was toying with the idea of painting up old car tyres with pretty patterns, stacking them up and putting wooden tops on them to make little tables. I was put off that by my sister because she thinks getting tyres would be too costly also once the festival is over what would we do with them.

Fabric stuff is so much easier to move about than rigded stuff like tyres and wood.

If anyone else has a brning passion to make things feel free to float your ideas in here. I really would like to get people thinking about how they can recycle.

Who was it making the platted beer cans ash trays at the last play? Would they be able to make other things. There are always beer cans hanging about at festivals.

Delete

Gayle......!
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2444
Posted:Millhouse is the ash tray man!

Gayle.....!

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:*Presses the big orange button marked BUMP*

Do we have any takers for this idea or is it only me and the above postees that have a burning desire to recycle junk into art and useful objects?

Delete

LMSP
BRONZE Member since Aug 2005

LMSP

veteran

Total posts: 1588
Posted:"Sulks"

If I had seen this a few months ago, I would have had 3 binbags full of old baby clohes you would have been more than welcome to have. Unfortunatly they are sill in Wales (if my ex has not thrown them out.)
Erm......
I do have a few bits that are 18-24 months (Are a fair size) If you want them. biggrin

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Though I can't help with this project, I'm glad you're thinking of large community projects at festivals. This will help my vision of EJC this year.

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:Damn..just after three of our peeps have headed to UK too....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

yoni
GOLD Member since Jun 2005

yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3099
Posted:i'll do what i can, this sounds like an awesome idea.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

Matty_B
SILVER Member since Feb 2005

Matty_B

veteran

Total posts: 1314
Posted:I have only just seen this too and think it is an awesome idea I have idea where some awesome coloured fabric might be for some wings, but does it have to be strechy, as the stuff I may be able to get isn't ....

Will keep my eyes open.... but this does sound like an ace idea. . . .

clap for skully

Delete

NOn

activist for HoPper liberation.

Total posts: 1643
Posted:Hmmm... i didnae see this thread beforehand, i have an extensive collection of books and bits of articles for making things with recycled stuff, don't know if any of it is particularly helpful as it is from my course, but there's definately some interesting things that can be done...... as for actual fabric, well i have a few bits of that too. I also have some poster paints up for grabs...... and i know vaguely how to make the beer can ashtrays too..... what are you doing now? how old is this thread? am i late?...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Delete

Boo_Bunny
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Boo_Bunny

Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy

Total posts: 933
Posted:hmmm...I have loads of old clothes if you still want them.
and i could get my hands on old tights and stuff.

if you want any help with it i will be at play. just PM me.

p.s. will you be at falmouth? i could give you the stuff i collected there.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

Delete

NOn

Posted:tetrapak wallets, that's a thing you can make with recycled stuff... but you need sticky velcro, and tape as well as the tetrapaks and a stapler... it's not necessarily the most suitable idea for play, but it's been bugging me since i read this thread, because i couldn't remember what it was, that some people had been doing this sort of workshop for... it was tetrapak wallets.... uh............ yeah.

More on topic....

Flags, would be cool to make. One festival i was always at when I was younger had these really tall flags in bright colours around the festival. Depending on the site, if there was some handy long poles, it would be easy to do this, otherwise getting the long poles might be lesse easy. They could be sewn with bits of recycled material also. not necessarily an in-festival project but a before festival project.

I do think the tyres idea for furniture and stuff is a very good idea, but perhaps they can be sourced locally to the festival site to save transporting them, and depending again on location, can be turned into planters etc, that somebody locally might want. Or else sent for recycling to be chipped up and made into playground bouncy tarmac........ It is hard to bring this kind of stuff to the festival, but probably can find it around the local area. What would also make good tables and seats is those big cable reels, from.... places with big cable reels.... and painted up?

the community artwork idea is also very nice, but would need somewhere dry if it is paper!

Lots of newspapers would be pretty easy to get hold as well between now and august, so what about also papier mache constructions for kiddies? but again, needs definate dry space.... ooh, i was stewarding a really cool lantern making workshop at a festival one year, although needs a substantial amount of willow and tissue paper and candles... so probably quite expensive.... although maybe an alternative kind of lantern can be developed using the recycled materials, and lots of cheap tealights bought in bulk from ikea or some such, to make lanterns of some kind......

bleh, yeah. i'll do some more thunking.

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Sorry that I can't be of great help with this one... frown

But it's a splendid idea, skul, I wish you good luck with it. If I'm going to EJC in Ireland by car I will certainly try to take a look at the results smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:Ahh... we have lift off!

Thank you all for replying. I'm still unsure as to how big a project this will become if it happens. I'm guessing the more people involved the more we can do.

Non, I love the flag making idea. Every Year at WOMAD I feel the need to lay down under the beautiful billowing flags and stare up at the sky. They sound so fabulous in the wind and make the skyline look so pretty. Its a huge job to undertake but if there are willing people that want to do it I say go for it.

I've been looking into the idea of making rag rugs and it seems a do-able thing. There are many different ways of making them, so I'm just trying to work out the most cost effective and easy way so that as many people as possible can join in and add their part. I think it will probably end up like a patch work with smaller rugs being made by groups of 3-5 people and then stitching them all together.

The tyre and cable reel tables and chairs would be fun to paint up, but there is still the problem of what to do with them/where to store them etc after the festival is over. Donating them to a local school or community centre might work, but as I don't yet know the location of the festival its a bit hard to judge if thats possible.

Papermach is fun, easy and can make fabulous things! I really like that idea too Non. Again it would depend on having somewhere dry to work if it rained.

Faery/pixie wings are pretty much out unless I can get a few people to help me make the wire frames and cover them in tights. I don't really think I'm going to have the time to make enough to be sure no child feels left out if they want to join in.

How about instead of making the Pheonix out of paper we make it out of fabric? Everyone that comes to the festival could be asked to allow us to draw around their hand on a bit of fabric. We then cut out the shape and use that to stitch to a base canvas/sheet which we can make the pheonix on. Afterwards I'd take it home and turn it into a quilt. It could be the Play emergancy quilt for tired and weiry spinners in the future festivals ubblol It would be like sealing a part of everyone that was there into one object that could be kept forever.

For everyone offering fabric, thank you. Please keep hold of it all for now and I'll get back in contact with you all about what to do with it, if this all takes off.

Pssst Non the Play festival is not in August it's in June. wink

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:I think I've got a box of material of all kinds of material, colours and patterns, already cut up into A4 sized pieces already, somewhere. I'll keep hold of it/see if I can find it when you need it ubblol

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:Thanks spanner hug

I was talking to Hannah this afternoon about this and the problems of the art work being easily transportable and all the stuff to make it not being too hard to get and we came up with a strange but maybe good idea..... I'd like to see what you think.

How about I buy a bit of a bomb of a small car and let people paint on it over the festival weekend. Then after the weekend we could sell it on ebay as a work of art that can travel biggrin I know its been done before and the cars made huge profits after being painted up. Any profit made could either go into the Play kitty for the next festival or be donated to a charity.

So what do you think?

Delete

NOn

Posted:Written by: Skulduggery

Pssst Non the Play festival is not in August it's in June. wink

oh... well that's a bit sooner than august umm i have to confess to not having actually read the play thread cos it's already pretty long, i was just hoping someone else would mention it at some point near the time. Now works. biggrin

looks like a lot of fabric be needed!.... the other alternative to cutting the hands out of fabric, would be to use fabric paint for hand printing. this would use substantially less material, all that would be needed is one piece that makes a fairly large canvas?

as for the tyres and things, i think if you can get hold of them, you can get rid of them. chances are these thing will most likely turn up in a scrapyard, no reason they can't go back after, maybe someone else will pick them up and reuse them again from there.... maybe... i don't know depends what's around.

i really like the wings idea, but i understand the frame problem... unless they are made on site to demand (don't know how long one takes) or else, a different kind of wings could be created which would be easier for a wee kiddie to make themselves, something like a cardboard base should make it through the duration of the festival at least? then they could even cut their own shape for the wings....

uh, or something.... bed now, sleep must, post again morning.... smile

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:I tried to get Bird to loan us his car for this, because he is away in Oz for most of the time the Play festival is on, but he said no. Pfffft BOYS! They are such a pain in the butt wink

Delete

Tao Star

Tao Star

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1662
Posted:if you're short of stuff (haven't read much of thread - sorry!) you could always try here .

i'm not sure specifically where you live so i just searched for wales and clicked on the first one, but you get the idea. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

I tried to get Bird to loan us his car for this, because he is away in Oz for most of the time the Play festival is on, but he said no. Pfffft BOYS! They are such a pain in the butt wink

You can borrow my car. I won't be using it. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

KatP
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

KatP

Muddy fingernails

Total posts: 505
Posted:I have tons of fabric of all sorts in many colours (although when I tidied the fabric cupboard the other weekend the moths had got into some of the wool. Little blighters)

Rag rugs are quite easy, just getting hold of enough rug canvas and cutting all the fabric strips. If sewing many together, is better to leave a bit 'unragged' then overlap, sew and 'rag' the overlapped bit. Fold under edges and sew on rug tape and there you go! (After many days of tying knots of course!)

Easy project for kids = collages. Lots of cheap wrapping paper with pictures, add scissors (child friendly of course) and glue, and the ultimate necessity of glitter!

I could also ask my dad if he can have a word with the paper mill he used to work at, have managed to get reams of miscut SRA2 (basically A2 plus a bit) paper from them before.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

Delete

burningoftheclavey
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

burningoftheclavey

lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..

Total posts: 926
Posted:thats a really cool idea, i dont think ill be down at the festival, but im fairly sure i have a heap of old clothes and one or two sheets if theres an address i can send them to? or just leave them for maybe next year.........
EDITED_BY: burningoftheclavey (1141763596)

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Delete

Skulduggery

Skulduggery

Posted:NYC hun, I'd have to ship your car over from America before we could paint *cough*...er... I mean use it to transport goods about.... *whistles innocently and hopes Bird doesn't notice the word paint* The cost of that would be more than buying a bomb of a car over here already. Thanks for the offer.

Martha thanks for the link. I'll have to look into recycling firms/organizations.

Kat the problem with paper (as has rightly been pointed out by Non and others) is that we have no cover/shelter to do this under, so if it rains it will all be ruined. I know if the fabric all gets wet it will be a pain in the butt but at least it can be dried again without too much damage being done to the finished artical. Thanks for the tips on sewing together the rag rugs.

I'm going to have to seriously get my ass in gear if I want to sort this out in time. Now all I need is energy ubblol

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

NYC hun, I'd have to ship your car over from America before we could paint *cough*...er... I mean use it to transport goods about....

(I'm not supposed to understand that reference right? Probably one of those jokes buried in an intro thread somewhere... Unless it's a drug reference... or one of those wacky UK expresssions. wink hug )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

KatP
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

KatP

Muddy fingernails

Total posts: 505
Posted:If you want a hand sourcing canvas and stuff let me know. After next thursday I will (hopefully) no longer be spending majority of free time pestering estate agents, surveyors, mortgage lenders and solicitors. Although hopefully still pestering builders!

Hmm. See the problem with the paper. <thinking hat on>

Was googling and found this site which has some info and supplies and stuff. With more hunting can probably find stuff a bit cheaper though.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

Delete

Thumperabbit
BRONZE Member since Sep 2005

Zebberdy and Jack Daniels

Total posts: 278
Posted:Just a idea. There's this place called The Play Resourse Center. This is a great place for any art's and craft's needs. You can get a black big bag full of fabric for about 50p. It's located in Llamsamlet/swansea. You need to become a member bu i think it's only about 2 quid a month.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Delete

Page: 12