Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm wondering who else here keeps dream logs.

A dream log (or dream diary) is a log of all the dreams you can remember. It's best to log a dream you remember first thing in the morning because you tend to forget dreams as the day goes on.

I seldom remember my dreams, but when I do I log them as soon as I wake up. Over the last 5 years since I started keeping the log I've managed to accumulate some very amusing entries and some very poignant ones. I've also reminisced about all the changes and moves I've done over this last period of my life, from Stanford to Michigan to New York, from Grad student to medical student to resident.

Here's last night's entry:
Written by:

I was on a 747(-400?) on the way back from Europe. I’d been having a conversation with someone about survival times in the cold North Atlantic winter water.

At some point, the plane descended close to the water and suddenly we were flying next to an impossibly huge wall of water. I suddenly had the ability to see in any direction around the plane I wanted to and the pilot gunned the engines and we screamed up the side of the massive wave, barely missing brushing it and soared high into the air. Just as I thought we were in the clear the plane hit a massive wave that came up out of the water, although the plane survived, we were badly shaken up. We then came up over another wall of water and over an island and then…

…I was standing on the balcony outside the living room at the Kirkway house looking at the lake and thinking how tame and boring it was with respect to the Atlantic. Although the waves on the lake were a fair sight bigger than they would normally be. And then I woke up, glad to be neither in an plane barely missing titanic waves nor in Michigan.

What can I say? My head is a bizarre place! ^.^

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
is it weird that a particular person keeps appearing in my dreams no matter what i dream about? whats that supposed to mean?

if i could be a busy busy bee...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Oddly enough, I've been dreaming about you too Liz, hmmm interesting...

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
lizzybeth, if its someone you know, you might want to think about what that person means to you, or what you associate with them, as generally characters in dreams are apparently reflections of some part of our personality...yes even the scary ones!
hope this helps.. smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
heeheehee ubblol poje - sorry my loverly it wasnt you wink and thankyou burning person above. am pondering what you wrote. will have to do some soul searching me thinks.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I had moved back to San Francisco, but I was somewhere in South America with my parents (which is curious because my dad has been dead over 4 years now) and decided to come back early. The only way back was to fly through Detroit and then connect to a flight to the West Coast.

While at the Detroit Airport, I somehow got lost and wandered off the airport and was having trouble finding my way back. And then I found myself wandering through a rather beautiful 1960's-architecture modern church that was near the airport, and I didn't want to ask for directions in a church. But suddenly some girl that I knew from high school (although I have no idea who it was) recognized me and greeted me. I explained to her that I had to get back to the airport, so she grabbed my hand and started leading me back.

On the way we went past the church's duck pond. Now, having grown up on a lake, I have some connection to waterfowl. I once befriended a family of swans and I feel a particular connection to swans. She wanted to see swans, and I discovered them surfacing from their underwater foray.

So I whistled at them and was shocked when they both came out of the water at me and then walked right up to me on the bank of the pond. And then the male said "Hello!" and of course I was absolutely shocked. I mean, who ever heard of a talking swan?

And so he and his mate and I talked. She was from somewhere far, but she had met him and fallen in love. They had two kids this summer. They spoke very halting English, like they were just learning to talk. And then I felt this rather bizarre blow to my entire body and the swans and the pond faded and I woke up.

-Mike

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
Do you also try to explain your dreams?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No.

Here's how I understand dreams: during REM sleep there is a series of rhythmic discharges from an area in the brainstem. This causes a lot of neural activity in the cerebral cortex, which is where cognition, and probably consciousness, are seated.

As the discharges filter through, the brain tries to make sense out of the noise. It's similar to seeing familiar shapes in cloud patterns. There is no Mickey Mouse in the sky; there's a cloud that our brains, which are primed to pick out patterns, interprets as similar to Mickey Mouse.

Similarly, my brain sorts through these random discharges and tries to match them to things I've seen in real life... but sometimes the patterns get crossed. And that is my view of what dreams are.

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
doc you make it sounds so....medical wink

and then there's me, the psychologist. i consider there to be 3 different types of dreams. there's the replay of events in your day. then there's the brain trying to sort out unfinished issues. and then i believe there are prediction dreams.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
I agree with pounce,

I like to try to explain my dreams from time to time, I think it's sometimes my unconciousness trying to tell me something (guess that's in the dreams in which the brain is trying to sort things out). But it's not like I really do something with the explenations I give them because they can be wrong, but sometimes I like thinking about that...

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i think dreams mean alot, I also agree with pounce, the more you write down your dreams and try to work out symbols the more it makes sense to you, and i think you're more able to tell between the different types of dreams... I like looking back over my crazy dreams too, its fascinating what your unconscious comes up with to make you understand things!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Last night I just kept on having random isolated images from fictional Burning Mans. However, I can't enter it into my log because there's nothing coherent enough from it to really describe. frown

-Mike

Page: