MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I am going to a friend's party tomorrow night. The party has a theme, which is "Come as you aren't." Costume thingie. You are supposed to come dressed as the total opposite of what you are.

Oooh...that's a toughie, since I wear so many hats. On the one hand, I'm a sort of freaky off-mainstream fire-spinning, vegetarian, tree-hugging, ravin', sort. On the other hand, I'm a medical student...and if you can think of all the doctors you know...well..yeah.

The easy solution is to cross-dress, but...no. Been there, done that, too much work, not comfortable, and scares small children.

So what do we think? One solution is to dress in a tie and white coat and bring my stethoscope. While I do have my heart and soul in medicine, I have to say that dressing that way is NOT me, even though they make me. But is that really "come as I am NOT?"

Ideally, the solution would be to dress as preppy as possible, but I don't own any of those clothes. Maybe I can bother my roommate for an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt or some other "walking billboard" type of get-up?

Other ideas?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Go as a Merchant Banker... (W**K*R) Which abviously you are SOOOOOO not!

Have fun what ever you decide to go as tho.. Fancy dress is always fun!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
maybe you could try dressing up as a knot?
but that when I thought you said you had to go as what your not, not what you aren't, hey..... maybe you should dress as your aunt? (but again thats going back down the crossdressing thing.
P.S. I owe you one t-shirt, which will be posted as soon as I get some money......

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I think crossdressing is the way to go but you've ruled that one out. So why dont you go as a fascist dictator or something that really isnt you. I'm sure bin laden beards aren't that expensive...

lol

Yeah man its a though one here. You could also be an activist or a fanatic of some kind... I dont know the last fan of Vanilla Ice or something like that... Just have fun with it it aint too hard...

Much love, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
yeah, go as a vanilla ice/MC hammer lookalike - just for an excuse to wear loads of gold and pantaloons

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

legionmember
73 posts

Posted:
Surely if you were to pretend you're not who you really are then this friend of yours wouldn't be a friend of yours. Logically therefore the only course of action is not to go to the party at all.

We all float down here.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ah, but Mike'd be able to crash the party if that's not normally like him, so he could still go
Unfortunately, he probably still shouldn't go, because if he wants to go, his opposite wouldn't, so wouldn't bother crashing it

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
hey Mike, try going as saine!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by TheBovrilMonkey:
vanilla ice/MC hammer - wear loads of gold and pantaloons
best suggestion so far.

Mike, preppy might be ok, if you have a bud who doesn't mind (& you don't) sharin duds, but not as preppy + doctor at once, that's too close to being just another shade of doctor for most who meetcha.

go as a carnivore eating steaks & hamburgers & smoking fatcat conservative cigars, ya might throw up.

quickie creativefoooood:

(1) do you want to go as human at all? if not, opens up possibilities, animal, plant, fungi, viri, what are the other kingdoms you know, most don't, unicellular somethings, aliens, planets, minerals. . .

(2) not comfy with cross-dress? fine, don't have to do that range. can do different age, but might be subtle and require keepin in character a lot, might be a strain too.

(3) what many sideways things are you not, without going for the obvious direct opposites? music genres are good, especially now we got 6 major ones popular, not just 1 vs. fringes. are ya NOT punk rocker with flamin' red or shockin blue stiff gelled spikes? easy to do temporary, and the brightest colors are only for a night ones, not too expensive. why the rapper idea's good too, specially if ya don't usually vibe very black. are ya not slicked-back-hair Eurostyle socialite in tux (easy to borrow)/ opera type/ or open up da collar with a too-frilly colored shirt, then put on dem chains, you not a disco chest-flasher god?

(4) mainly visual things: i don't think (what? what don't i think about you?) you're a. . . puppy with big floppy ears, cain't remember if you're a famous non-weedhead, from ya lab etiquette talk, if ya dare carry the insignia of that, i don't think you're a Hindu swami, i don't think you're a Lakota sundancer (some of these i could be wrong, show me other sides of ya!), i don't think you're a skaterboi, firefighter, true investment (US)/ merchant banker (overseas -- hey, i was half of one for a while!)/ but that might not be portrayed so obviously unless ya want to take on a verbal act, a Taliban anything, East Asian (eye make-up? it's ok, i can suggest it, negroid (oooooh, i hate all-over body color, can't touch any one, but it gets so much attention at ballgames or with Blue Man troupe), cuboid, amoeboid (i like this idea a lot), soaking wet, born twins or with gross, intriguingly sick irregularities like 3 faces, 5-1/2 tentacles, no, i don't think you're a giant squid or octopus

(5) visual + attitudinal things: i don't think you're an angry artist covered in graffiti rants and maybe waving paint-brushes at peeps which looks like its paint's wet, a jilted romantic trying to kill yourself, the president of Namibia, a Calypso rasta, hyperdude?, fan of _what?_ sport you hate, how's the weather? especially today, and with that new idiot humor movie comin' out, if you're not a big swimmer, goin in spandex speedos always gonna be a hit. i don't think you're a airhead/ crackhead/ shrunken head, i don't think you're a big mystic, and sorry, i don't think you're an angel!

howdat?

have fun,

~ Mikie

[ 12 October 2002, 05:48: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Does it go without saying that going nekkid would be in apropriate?

Perhaps all you need to do is make one minor change to your appearance, something noticeable yet not major. Eyepatch, tattoo, maybe a prosthetic nose or something. Having a creative story to with the prop makes it more fun too.

Wear a big loud pimp hat, complete with poofy feather and an animal print band around it & call yourself a hat salesman...

Or you could just go as "Evil Mike." All you have to do is put on a goatee beard and your entire persona will be instantly transformed. Like in Star Trek, when they made Spock the 'Evil Spock' and all they did was whip a goatee on him...

And there's always the standby 'Groucho Marx Glasses & Nose disguise

[ 12 October 2002, 06:36: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, the big problem is that because I am not what I am not, I don't have the duds to pretend that I am something I'm not.

I'm not a gangsta-wannabe, so I don't have any enormous gold chains, massive athletic shorts, and cut-off tee-shirts. I don't even have a baseball cap to wear at a crazy angle.

Right now, I'm just thinking of the suit-and-tie approach. I own a suit.

ORRRR...wait! I've got it!

Ok, polo shirt and khakis. Greased hair. Cell phone holstered at my side with one of those hands-free wires in my ear!

Silicon Valley Exec!

-Mike

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You're not a refridgerator but i bet you have one. Problem is you're not thinking laterally enough.

You could go as your neighbour. Steal their clothes from the washing line. Problem solved.

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Cantus, Is your refridgerator still running?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
You're not a refridgerator but i bet you have one. Problem is you're not thinking laterally enough.
hear, hear!

ok, technie nerd exec, huh? what makes that really obvious? . . . the Bill Gates look, you goin for, Mike?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
i got the perfect solution. break out the dice as a model, get a big white sqaure box, get some black spray paint, spray some dots, make some arm holes in the sides, a torso hole in the bottom, a head hole in the top. voila, dice. you could even try to play it off like you were andrew "dice" clay or something. thats something your not right? hmmm...are you the "dice man" in disguise? well, its a gamble. ha.

From the makers of soylent green.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have you read The Dice Man?

Meh

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
mebee....you should go as an egg-laying
Rooster!?!
just a suggestion!!!!

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
He rolls dice all the time to decide what his personality is going to be. So you could go with a dice and 6 personalities. then change yourself as per the dice.

Tell people it'a psuedo-post modernist challenge on modern gender roles, attitudes and a critique of the whole genre of fancy dress to change your identity, release from mundanity and/or become an ideal.

Or sumfink.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The dice man that is not the egglaying rooster.

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so here's what I'm going with: shirt and tie w/ khakis. Loosten the tie. Pop a palm in the shirt pocket...and some pens and stuff.

Still have the holstered cell phone thing. And I'll unbutton and roll up the sleeves and loosten the tie and unbutton the top button, just like a silicon valley sort trying to look "relaxed."

That way I don't have to make costumes (I don't have time for costume construction).

-Mike

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am sorry, matey, it is just not out there enough. Go as a Roman Emperor...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
when all else fails, toga!
or a toilet paper mummy!

[ 14 October 2002, 14:24: Message edited by: bender™ ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
ORRRR...wait! I've got it!

Ok, polo shirt and khakis. Greased hair. Cell phone holstered at my side with one of those hands-free wires in my ear!

Silicon Valley Exec!

Shit I almost fell off my chair with that one... Yo Fire mike... are you a gemini by any chance?!

Much love, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
go in your pajama's and tell everyone that you are Not Asleep......

` i like pj's!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Make sure you look sleasy and snobby at the same time to reach the desired effect...

Also a money clip could be a good accesory...

Have fun! Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
so Mike G, what did ya wear & how did it go & how wuz da party?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I went ahead with khakis, dress shirt and tie. I used theatrical hair grease to slick down my hair in the geekiest way possible (it's basically petroleum jelly and several hand-washings later, it was STILL on my hands). Penny loafers, of course.

OK, then I found my palm pilot that was given to me as a gift and I haven't touched since. That went in my pocket with a few pens. I holstered my cell phone at my belt (I haven't used my holster before, so that took some figuring out...) and had the little ear bud clipped to my shirt and then in my ear.

It was a funny party. So many people walked in the door and I just didn't like them at first glance until I realized it was a costume. Like the guy dressed "jocky." And I'm sure people didn't like me at first sight, either, before they realized what it was about.

Funny how we pre-judge.

-Mike