Forums > Social Chat > A depressing post about violence

Login/Join to Participate

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I've just read this: Every minute of every day somebody is killed by violence.

Every minute.

This, and other depressing facts are in a new WHO Report.

The key points:
Every minute of every day somebody is killed by violence.
35 people are killed every hour as a result of armed conflict.
Violence is now the leading cause of death among people aged between 15 and 44, accounting for 14% of deaths in men and 7% of deaths in women.
One person commits suicide every 40 seconds.
In the 20th century, an estimated 191 million people lost their lives directly or indirectly as a result of conflict, and well over half of them were civilians.
Almost half the women who die due to homicide are killed by their current or former husbands or boyfriends, while in some countries it can be as high as 70%

The positive side?
Dr Etienne Krug, Director of WHO's Department of Injuries and Violence Prevention: "There is nothing inevitable about violence, nor is it an intrinsic part of the human condition. Evidence from around the world suggests that violence can be prevented by a variety of measures aimed at individuals, families and communities."

Be the change. We are the people with the power to change this. Our actions and words affect other people and a chain is formed. Our kindness to other people is passed on, a good deed cheers it's recipient, making them more likely to pass it on. But so is our hate and violence also passed on. We may only be one person in a crowded world, but our world is built of individuals and we do have power.

Peace be with you all.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
That really makes you think about theway our world is today.

Spread the love..not the violence!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
So what it's telling us is that the social world we live in is well and truly fcuked up!!!

Like you didn't know that already but cold statistics like that bring it home how bad it really is, a suicide every 40 seconds!!! Thats some crazy shite man, makes you wonder what drove them to it?

I feel that the generation around today is far more aware of whats going on in the world and how bad a state its in but the question is, have we got it in us to change anything?
If we don't we'll carry on like this until we either tear the planet apart with nuclear war or we'll all die in the next ice age!!!

We have to DO something, but what?

[ 04 October 2002, 01:11: Message edited by: Kurobei ]

whats up with all the limitations?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Be the change. We are the people with the power to change this. Our actions and words affect other people and a chain is formed.
Thankyou.

Said so much better than I could have done. The best thing we can do, is to refuse to be a link in the chain, to refuse to participate in cycles of violence and mis-understanding around the world.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
all we need is 10% to believe in this. all it takes is 10% and suddenly a massive collective shift happens. it was proven when they studied some monkeys on some group of islands (its been awhile since i read the report, so I cant remember all the details) who ate this specific root. one day one of them started to wash off the root before eating it. the next day ten of them did. once 10% of the population started doing it, the next day all of them were doing it. even on other islands where they had not seen the original monkey wash off its root. kinda crazy.

violence is not the solution to the problem, rather the problem to the solution.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
a lot of students here where i am at uni have started writing anti-war stuff. They draw hearts on teh sidewalk, write such things as peace not war, love not war, you'll have the blood of iraqis on ur hands, etc. They also haev teh clever "do not enter iraq" signs drawn in places. Chalk is allowed on our campus, to an extent, but a lot of teh anti-war stuff gets washed off in a matter of hours. most of my dormmates havn't even seen much of it yet, i just happen to have early classes. it'd depressing that they won't let us write anything. but it's ucsc, and we will make our voices heard anyhow.

the violence thing is horrible. i've read that stuff before. and i know so many people that have come from housesw with violence.....

i cant do much more than be peaceful myself, but what a difference it would make if everyone did!

thx dom.

peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Violence has a place in the world...there is a book called Dark Nature that explains the human condition with regard to rape, incest, murder etc...it is a good read.

Personally I think that some violence is in order to prevent the war,ie: someone should fucken throw a brick or something at Georgie W, and wake the dickhead up...

Did you know that a woman is raped every 36 seconds in South Africa...one in four will be raped....imagine you had three daughters and lived there, one of your family would be raped.

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
eh....
all i can say is....
losing someone sux....
murder, it is just something people get in thier head to do.....when they can't take sumfing anymore and that is the only answer.....
I have had that felling thousands of times but i have never hurt anyone....
but some people have to, they think that it is neccesary to hurt some one forever....
that is why people need to stand back....and think.
if yoou have ever seen the movie
"what dreames may come"
i think that movie explains alot about heaven and life and death even if it isn't exactaly right on the dot.
life in all it's form and splender has to end some time even at the wrong end of the sword....

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:

Be the ball! hehe

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Where did that come from? Movie quote?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

2,905 posts

Posted:
Yes it came from Antz

It was in referance to Dom's speech
quote:
Be the change...
Just trying to add a bit of humor to the otherwise unhumorus topic.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(And now for a different view from the barely-posting-moderator)

I think those are good figures...

It doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to make changes but the world could also be a thousand times more violent in every corner than it is at the moment.

sometimes it pays to be thankful for less evil than is possible, as well as trying to get a bit less for our children too.

If we lose sight of the good, how will we know which direction change must take us...?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

2,905 posts

Posted:
I know this is gonna get me shat on but it is a valid point.

Ever hear of population controle?

I mean the whole wold cant be like China where you can have only one child. Maybe this violence is a way of man keeping the balance in check.

There might be a greater good behind the violence.

Do not read into this and think that I am supporting killing, 1440 people every day. That is not my intent so dont even try to make me the bad guy here. Just giving an idea!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ray I cannot believe that you posted that.

No I cant believe that you even seriously entertained that thought.
Thats disguesting.
You are suggesting that ethnic cleansing and Murder are ways of "keeping the population in control" and "Keeping the balance in check"

Remember the holocaust and more resent event in former Yugoslavia.

Please go away and reconsider this post.
I think this diserves more thought

Cheers
Glass

SmallBoys Evil Twin Brothermember
55 posts

Posted:
I don't think Ray meant that in a bad way but he's brought up an interesting point.
The flip side of population growth is that sooner or later we'll be unable to support ourselves and more people will die.

Not saying violence is acceptable because it isn't but neither is the planet overdosing on human beings. We need a happy medium somewhere.

oh and lunchbox - luv the sig....hehehehe
Thundercats rule - hehehehehehehe

I don't rebel against the system, I created it for the misery of others.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
i think that some humans just dont understand or feel the importance of life. the reason (in my opinion) we cant get rid of these monsters is because its to easy for them. there are way to many people walking around in there own world oblivious. if you want my car take it. if you want my wallet here ya go. some people just want to kill you. for someone who has not prepaired them selves for this momment they will probably be paralyzed w/ fear and become an easy target. i have been that person, luckily i wasnt killed. i realized i have to do somthing. i thought about that day i was faced w/ that situation and how i could protect myself. . trouble did come my way again though. i was w/ my mom, . some asshole strong armed her and bolt off w/ her purse. i remember how upset she got. she screamed and i was nearby. she was already crying. i was so enraged and sad for her i imediatly sprinted after him (not smart). he was pretty much cornered and he turned around and faced me. i stopped in my tracks and my mind was just saying "ok now what dumbass?!?!". the guy was quite a bit bigger then me. he charged me and i reacted without even thinking. we hit eachother in the face at about the same time but i followed up with a combo i practiced over and over. it just automatically happend. now he was scared shitless. i grabbed my moms purse from him and called the cops. he got off. which makes me glad that i atleast kicked his ass a little. i doubt he will ever be able to steal from someone without thinking of our little encounter. i would never chase anyone ever again over money or possesions. i realized that violent people are counting on there victims to be scared and helpless because thats what they usually are. dont be a victim. turn the tables thats the only way to stop violence. violent people dont care about laws rules or that you just got married and your wife/husband is waiting for you to get home. the only way to win is to play there game, but play it better.

[ 07 October 2002, 02:38: Message edited by: lightbug ]

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
(I know you're talking about a lot more than just armed conflict Dom, but that's the thing I'd like to have my little say about)

Something I find even more depressing than the hard numbers, is the shift of the kind of death caused by conflict over the course of time. According to UNICEF only 5% of the casualties in WW1 were civilian, in WW2 the proportion had risen to 50%, now the figure is as high as 80 or 90% (from "Contemporary conflict resolution", Miall, Ramsbotham & Woodhouse).
Other studies show that the type of armed conflict that we've seen most since WW2, internal conflict in states (in stead of interstate war), only takes place in states where the economy has collapsed or never developed in the first place: if people are able to feed and house their families in relative comfort, there is no reason for them to fight, and there is nothing populist leaders can use to get them to start fighting. So maybe part of the solution to the problem is doing something about the fact that 20% of the world population (us here in the West) owns 80% of the world's wealth - leaving only 20% of the wealth for the other 80% of the world population. Time to do something about trade barriers, the spread of AIDS and cancelling the debts of developing countries perhaps...?

everyone's unique except me

2,905 posts

Posted:
Figured I would get shait on hehe

Glass, have you ever hunted before?

If not there are several reasons for hunting, the main reason being population controle. Humans are similer. Though population controle might not be the reason for violence, it is definatly one of the consiquences (for lack of a better word) of the violence.

I was not condoneing killing like I said, I was in no way saying that it was good. I was mearly saying that inadvertantly there could be some good brought about by the violence.

Now say man is violence free... bare with me... there are roughly 6 billion people on the planet. lets say only 40% produce 1 offspring every year while only 30% die. (Check my math I pretty much did it in my head sorry if there are inadiquate numbers) that means that every year 500 million extra people are on the planet! how quickly will the populous over run the planet? (I'll let you do the math on that one) with the violence subtract an average of 525960 people per year. True in the grand scheme 500 million born while only 525960 lost due to violence, I would say the numbers point that the violence aint that bad.

Please remember though that all the numbers are hypothetical.

*prepares to get shat on again*

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Nephtys. like the post.

will post properly later, but ray, you might want to check your assumption and try your estimates again.

quote "40% have a child every year"
Ok 51% of the population are male.
the remaining 49% I estimate average less than 2 children each, over 75 year life. you're out by a factor of 37

But there's no need to estimate all these, WHO will have published the population data on thier website.
Ray it is irrelevent.

Murder is not justifiable.

Its not just your mathematical logic which is fatally flawed, come on Ray. you can't be that much of a nazi sympathizer. What your saying sound too simmilar to Hitlers battle cry.

Also Ray are you pro-abortion or anti-abortion??

2,905 posts

Posted:
Glass, like you said they were estamates. In a hypothetical equation.

I am not nor was a justifing murder, accidental homicide, scuicide bombings, or anything else for that matter.

All I was saying is that if you look at it with an open mind and from a different perspective, other than your own then you might see some light in this dark area!

I aint gonna answer your question, I will keep my beliefs to my self. Dun change the subject!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The reason why people in many countries have 10 children is because half of them will die before the age of 5, and 3 others will die before they're 40. Due to their being no social support systems in many countries children are need to look after elderly parents. Population control should be through increasing the health and awareness of the world, not through culling.

Ray, you disgust me. You are not looking at it with an open mind, but a very, very selfish mind. By saying "I would say the numbers point that the violence aint that bad." you've basically justified every act of murder, from war to the 9/11 attacks. New York was too crowded, so thankfully somebody wiped out 3000 of them for us! Pity more people weren't killed because that would have really helped make the house prices more affordable as well.

People are not numbers, they're people just like you and me. You can not apply a heartless theory when dealing with living humans. A form of population control is that 10% of humans must be killed. Fine, but what if your mother, your friends or yourself were among that 10%. Would you sit back and say "We, the numbers make sense."

Only when you see every individual in the world as an amazing instance of humanity, carrying around with them an entire universe, will you understand and really be able to care for other people. Until then you're only play acting and not loving enough.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Bout time you showed up Dom.

Okay, let me put it this way, shit could be worse. Remember that it could always be worse.

Look man I dont rationalise nor do I support violent crimes. How many times do I have to say that to get it through your head?

According to the US Government all us citizens are a number! Hence the use of a Social Security Number. Sorry Dom that is a fact over here. I am sure the British Gov has done something similer with you. I am sure you put some number down on you tax form and job aplications. People are just numbers.

Dom if my mother were to die due to violent crimes I would be angry, vengefull, remorsefull, saddend, hurt, crushed, devistated. Just like you and everyother person on the world. Unfortunatly I cant bring back the dead, so I wouldn't dwell on it for too long.

quote:
Only when you see every individual in the world as an amazing instance of humanity, carrying around with them an entire universe, will you understand and really be able to care for other people. Until then you're only play acting and not loving enough.

What would you know of love Dom?

"For a man hath no greater love than to lay down his life for another."

Ever hear that? You dont know what love is! You wouldnt risk your neck for anyone other than yourself.

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, what can I say that may have or not have already been said it so seems. I could ramble on how I agree or found certain parts of peoples postings...disturbing or beautiful.....Many made brilliant observations, and points, but always remember one thing..there is NO "ONE" reality..Only one's perception of it. To step outside one's self and take a different look at yourself, a situation, another view point. Is what many of the people lack now days. Which is why we have wars, debates, discussions, arguments, divorces, violence's, and deaths...as sadly we've seem to have observed by our postings?

"Accentuate the postive, Eliminate the negative......" Johnny Mercer

And all my days are trances And all my nightly dreamsAre where thy gray eye glances And where thy footstep gleams-In what ethereal dances By what eternal streams. Edgar Allan PoeThe prophet is a fool and the religious man is fucking mad, and for the multitude of your sense and your inequity, and the great hatred......NANCY BOY

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
Only when you see every individual in the world as an amazing instance of humanity, carrying around with them an entire universe, will you understand and really be able to care for other people.
That has to be one of the most beautiful thoughts ever! It's the seed of compassion. Brilliant, Dom!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ray:

quote:
What would you know of love Dom?
.... You dont know what love is! You wouldnt risk your neck for anyone other than yourself.
You are wrong,
twice.
and you are rude.

You have lost my respect with that post

Dom is one of the kindest and most filled with love people I have met. he is a true gentleman, who I hold in the utmost respect.

I think you have forgotten the history of his family and of his country.

Drew