-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ive just started spinning properly again now its hot and ive finnished term. Ive come up with a few new moves and learnt some others but i dont have names for all of them so i made a vid with some on. Ive put in the name i think they are called or the name ive given them so far but would like to hear what everyone thinks. ive put each move up in full speed then at half speed so people can see what im doing, i know some of them are a bit rough but ive only just nailed them.
so.... coments, criticism all good
oh yea its also quite big 50Mb sorry
Name that move
sandy

"Don't do it naked!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
The steatrix is a cross between a steve and a matrix hence the name thats the main one im bothered with. wha dja recon?

"Don't do it naked!"

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
smile the steatrix is one of my faves at the moment, altho i dont have a name for it, i just call it "that one"
along with quite a few others smile will get downloading now smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
my one critcism is that the video wont work propperly for me at about 40 seconds it cuts out and leves you there with a most bemused look in your face and a hovering stick frown

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I call it the matrix steve, cos bluecat does. But you can matrix from just about anywhere, I'd hate to have to name all the different entries with different names...

On the matrix steve, you have to get it on your opposite shoulder so it can roll down. You just fake out and do a couple of horizontal hand wraps. The first half was good though!

Wouldn't call it a elbow fishtail to halo, you seem to pop back out into normal fishies before doing the halo. Props on the elbow fishtail thou! Looks sweeeeeeet

Then the video failed. It's actually only 4.8 mb .... not quite 50.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Right should work now (also sorry for the half nakedness it was bloody hot)
EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1119343493)

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah! 50 megs!

Right yes you do a beautiful elbow fishtail, but you pop out into half a beat of a normal fishtail before doing the halo, so it's not elbow fishtail to halo, it's elbow fishtail then halo.

Full steve half matrix = accurate description.

Angel wings: Was just an Angel Roll, as baton twirlers call it.

Steve Full neck wrap to the one above. Yeah, probly correct description, it's just a half matrix could go into a full steve at like 4 different points...

Front pass shoulder to shoulder:

Looks like a Throatside turning SNES to me. Can't quite tell if you're missing a should on the first half.... Hard to say.

Fishtails: NIccccccccceeeeeeeee....

Full steve to steve. But yeah, that's what it is. With a bit of turning...

Steatrix matrix. Didn't go up the second arm and then back down it (the steve bit). But the matrix was much better than the first steatrix.

5 beat reverse fishtails: I'll leave that for the ninja to decide./

then I got bored.

biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
steatrix - try and get it to come round your neck more you will have more control in the second half. with the second half try to get it to come around your arm pit rather than rolling up your tricep. the second half should be a mirror of the first half.

elbow fishtails - the elbow positions need to be 180 degrees for it to work at the moment it looks like they are about 150 the extra 30 will make a big difference

full steve - try to get it to actually come in to roll across your neck

angel wings = angel roll

steve neck wrap full steve matrix - the first move looks like a steve with a neck propeller in teh middle try doing it without the neck spin and moving your body around so that your neck makes a propeller like with devil sticks.

front pass shoulder to shoulder roll = jesus
- try steping alone a line rather than pivoting on the spot you wont fall over yourself so much. it rolls down your arm at the end because your not turning fast enough to give the stick your shoulder to roll over

360 fishtails/bodywrap fishtails - i would call it fishtail passing

full steve to steve - try it without the neck spin, your plane is really nice until u go for the second steve which is why it loses control

Steatrix Matrix = steve entry into matrix

5 beat reverse fishtails - looks like a inverted fishtail fountain opened outwards instead of upwards, you can bring it back in for an extra inverted beat at the end

fishtail throws - try not to lean forward when catching the throw

christ roll - not sure exactly what your going for there, can kinda see it looks very awkward

corkscrew fishtails - looks cool

ive given the alternative names other ppl have called em theres thread floating around the place smile

id suggest trying everything with your feet planted solidly to help u isolate the movement so that you can then incorperate footwork for style rather than to compensate so the stick doesnt fall on the ground. overall it looks like uv got some cool contact happening imho u just need to refine it so its more of an interaction between you and the stick rather than the stick forcing you round if that makes sense.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey Sandy

sweet little vid man, some good terminology me finx, its hard to name moves like that i rekon, mainly because there are soooo many variations of matrix and steves avaiable..........

Loved them all - was waiting for an antispun matrix to pop up though wink

Great staffage none the less ubbrollsmile

Was funny as i sota come up woth the stevetrix in ireland at the weekend, then i come here and see youve got it too biggrin biggrin

Look forward to more of the same dude cool

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
cheers guys

knew those angel rolls had another name been trying to get the throw in since i saw bluecat a couple weeks ago at birmingham cirus convention.

REALLY apreciate the feed back

i dont have many people round here that do contact so im kinda left to my own devices with coming up with stuff apart from meets.

couple of questions:

what does SNES stand for? i get the move but dont know the terminology and whats a fishtail fountain?

the christ roll i learnt off tim at october sheffield pip/hop and he had a nice switch into neck spins that i havn't got down yet. was wondering if anyone had any other variations? ive thought of into matrix but cant do it yet anything else?
EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1119381162)

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
SNES = Shoulder NEck Shoulder.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: -sandy-

couple of questions:
what does SNES stand for? i get the move but dont know the terminology and whats a fishtail fountain?

[Old link] or you could download "A special tribute to ben" from soton-firespinning.co.uk at 2.11

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I thought I came up with the stevetrix at falmouth 3 confused arr well these things seem to happen too often to be that surprised

p.s. I agree with people that the move in the vid is only a half stevetrix cos it doesn't come back down the right arm round that arm pit then up the other side

p.s.s. Afew tips to make your staffing look as good as it is, work on you footwork (bend your knees take definate steps don't suffel), blance and centre (often meaning keep your back straight and head up). also try to make all your moves flow so they're the least effort possible (repetion, repetion, repetion)

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt