Page:
IgnitionTerminalsGOLD Member
20 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know anywhere that sells any glow or LED staves that are a decent length? HOP shop and ebay and a couple of other sites only sell glow staves up to 90cm, which is a little on the short side. Please help, i am getting desperate.

FORCE CHIP - IGNITION!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How much are you looking to spend?

ubbangel

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I think I know were this is gong ubblol

blue&white blue&white blue&white blue&white blue&white blue&white

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
rolleyes https://www.globall.com/
rolleyes

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

20 posts

Posted:
Groovy but pice of £165 - £350 a little steep for me. Thank you anyway, it much appreciated.

FORCE CHIP - IGNITION!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
i made a glow staff... pretty easy to do cheap...

well let me rephrase - if you want to do a really nice professional one you have to use high quality LEDs, and you have to shock absorb them as well as fit a battery case in the staff (which I made out of clear pvc)

however, here is what i did... it is not nearly as nice, but it was INCREDIBLY cheaper... it uses glowsticks, though, so you need to buy fresh ones for every light, but you can get them very cheap in bulk...

i used 1/2" clear pvc pipe, which i bought online for like 1.50 per foot (i bought a 5 foot piece) and then i bought connectors for the pvs which were 0.30 a piece which fit snug over the ends, where i superglued them, and they have a externally threaded edge, and then i bought another bit to screw onto those... so the very outside bit is weighted and a plugged it, so nothing can get through. That part is removable. glued to the pvc is a connector that has the threading but also has a hole large enough for glowsticks. then i just dropped a screw about 18" off the end, so the glowsticks do not slide into the middle. so i drop 3 glowsticks in either end, screw on the plugged, weighted ends, and i am off.

i will say it broke the first time i used it, but i was spinning on concrete and i dropped it because i was super impatient and went out to spin in the rain because i had just finished it and wanted to test it. also, i actually ahve not yet put in the screws which i will be using as stoppers... when youre spinning, your centrifugal force keeps the glowsticks where you want them. when you stop to pose they slide around, obviously....

ALL in all, after shipping and handling, and the 50 glowsticks i bought on eBay, it was less than $50 USD.

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
and just to ammend - i know there are better ways to make one, and to make one stronger and brighter, but i wanted to make as cheap of a prototype as possible. i think it was actually about $35USD to be exact. if the pvc were a little bit stronger i wouldnt complain, but this was the most economical solution i ould find... i cant think of any clear plastic tubing thats stronger and you can find in 5 foot pieces....

PrayerFireAngelBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
Well, since your desparate & you want to keep the price under control... https://www.sharp-baton.com/cart/details.asp?ProdID=6
I was contemplating getting one of these & you can get it made longer for an additional $5. This does take the glosticks though which aren't included but they are pretty cheap to buy. When I asked the owner of Sharp Batons if they could make me a 39 inch baton she thought I was crazy but said they could but their would be no refund/return on it. I am still contemplating getting one just to have for fun. You can have them engrave it as well.

May All Your Prayers Be Heard...

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
cheaper to make it yourself than that... serriously... iof youre going to buy that, just buy clear PVC and cap off the ends witha threaded cap so you can removie them, add glowsticks, and then put them back on and spin away. if you want something really really nice youre going tot want to go with LED, which is harder to make and will be more expensive...

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
www.juggleart.com.au has a reasonable staff. I have one which is 1.2 meters. the led's are in the end and it looks pretty good. you can change the led units in the end for fast changers and slow fades. At about $100 (AU), its pretty reasonable and I use it all the time. It also glows unfer UV which is kind of funky when twirling in clubs.

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Feral Tec has a light stik. It looks pretty decent, im looking into getting one. https://www.feraltechnology.com.au.
I got a globug staff from gooble warming. But it is kinda flimsy and shudders. https://www.gooblewarming.com.au/site/products_sub.php?mainCatID=25&subCatID=26&prodType=7.

Neon husky has a clear poly carb staff that you can fill with glowsticks or streetlights, but i have played with one before and it kind of shudders as well. https://www.neonhusky.com/JShop/section.php/3/0/eec2908506edd05c264e339aa878240d.

Of course there is always the aerotech stuff, but its kinda pricey. https://www.globall.com/
Hope that helps, im hoping the feral tec light stik is going to be really nice. Please post if you get one and give us a review.

Mayhem

20 posts

Posted:
Thanks everybody. Have looked through all the links, (not quite sure how the light stick baton works...), and advice. Making one sounds best bet then, but have trouble getting materials. Unless i tape a load of rave sticks to a broom stick...actually that might work...!
Think the best one looks like the juggleart one, waiting to hear back about cost of shipping (they in australia, i in england). Well, the best affordable one, anyway.
Anyway, thanks again everybody. :-)

FORCE CHIP - IGNITION!

20 posts

Posted:
Actually, it's a shame HOP don't make a longer staff. (hint...)

FORCE CHIP - IGNITION!

Crimson_FyreBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
I'm cheap, poor, and resourceful so i just take a couple of glowsticks, something the right length (or you can cut one of those green yardsticks to the right length) and then just tape the glowsticks on.

I actually started with staff using an escrima stick ( a round stick used for martial arts about an inch to 2 inches in diameter)
with glowsticks taped on the ends. ^^

I'm not strange... I'm just not like you.

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Damn whoeveer posted the https://www.globall.com/
link.
I am now a lot poorer...;o(
But at least I have a nice shiny stick now ubblol

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

DanizonaBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Try www.flowtoys.com. Long and bright...

Pyraenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Flowtoys.com staff is affordable, durable and comes in many sizes and a few color combos. We got to play with one at Toast and it was cooooool.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
The reason HoP don't do a longer glow staff, (I think) is because they can't ship anything over 1 metre overseas.

or you could try here: https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/glow_staff.html

They're UK based, and reasonably cheap.But the staff doesn't look that good for contact...

Anywho...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

showerboySILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
I own a led staff from flowtoys and I love the staff, It realy is non destructable.BUTTTTTTTTTT the led lights that he is using right now that come with the staff are more or less trash. all four lights broke within a month of spinning, I now use glow sticks which I think are alot brighter and at least they dont break. I do although have a design in the works for a light to use in glow staffs that will rock!!!!! i will let ya know when I have it done:) bye for now ubbrollsmile

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
thnx you just saved me £40 buying a staff from flowtoys

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

DanizonaBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I've only had my FloyToy staff for a week now but it has already taken quite a bit of abuse considering its the first staff I've ever spun! I've dropped it, tossed it into a brick wall, into a fireplace and onto my TV and none of the lights have broken yet.... I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i might have to convince my parents to buy me one then

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Just got me aerotech glostaff pro and it is sweet!!!
Has a bit of flex which I'm not used to and is a lot heavier than I expected.
but the lighting and programming system is cool, cant wait to take it out for a spin this weekend smile
But am going to be broke for a while now....
KK

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
which one you got, the long one?

they are a lil heavy and its good to get some grip on them somehow
but biggrin aretech mmmm much fun!!!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yes but flowtoy are $45
aerotech for a shorter one is £350

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
areotech for a short one is £220

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yeah but you can get a 5ft5 one for $45 from flowtoys

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I have a friend (who used to use this board but hasn't been on the net for ages) who has 2 aerotech staffs.

They are absolutely stunning to look at.
Cant say I've ever seen anything that even begins to compare.

LED's are cool for non fire friendly places but fire is much more fun IMO.

Plus when a firestaff breaks you can replace the wicks / stick pretty cheap.
He broke one of his aerotechs and it cost £170 to repair!!!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
well when you get a flowtoys i'll have to have a play with it max :P

and you can play with my tech's

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
deal
telll you what when i get my flowtoy you can have it and i can have your tech
or even better nates techs

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Well couldnt wait till the weekend so cleared the living room and had a quick spin last night:

https://www.immortalninja.com/gallery/Aerotech

Its the 145cm one, and I probably wouldnt have got it if I hadnt just got a pay rise.

With regards to AeroTech vs FlowToy
I only saw the FlowToy link after I'd paid for the AeroTech so it was a little too late. I kinda like them as they can have more colours and are cheaper. I'm tempted to get one (and a rope dart too) but they are sold out at the moment so I might wait for more feed back on them, as the pictures of their construction isnt too detailed on the site.
It seems they are more servicable with easy access to the lights to change their colour.(Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, probably a little of both tongue )

I dont regret spending the money on the AeroTech either though. It is very well made and looks so cool. Spent ages messing with all the different programmable strobe settings and that is a function which I believe the FlowToy doesnt have.
Would like to put a grip in the middle but am lothed to cover any of the lights. Maybe I can find some see thru or glowy material.
The negative things I'd have to say about the aerotech are minor.
- As there was nothing else around I have sore knucles from all the tapping needed to set the different modes.
- It is very expensive, and it does have some weight. I was very concious of these two facts when spinning it, worried that it would break if I were to drop it. I'm sure this feeling will go away with time (after I've dropped it a few times biggrin) and I will be able to spin more freely. I'm also sure it will break one day but then what doesnt.

Finally, it took a long time to make (about a month) as apprently all the staffs are made to order. The workmanship as I can see it is top notch. And throughout the process the people were friendly and helpful, keeping me up to date even when their email system failed. So top marks to AeroTech/ Globall for customer services.

KK

Page: