Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4554035.stm

i'm not exactly a fan of Kylie but its still sad to hear. frown

I was thinking, is this going to be a good thing for the cancer charities?? There is going to be even more publicity for them now. Hopefully it will mean that more money will get to where it is needed so that more people can be helped.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: dom

Kylie having breast cancer makes millions of women more aware of the risks and more likely to get themselves checked out. If one person discovers thier cancer earlier as a result then that's a good enough reason to put her on the front page.

Yeah, what he said! biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
For more information on body awareness and cancer

https://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/bodyawareness/?a=5441

And the rest of the site contians more info on cancer prevention

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
my dads had cancer since 1999, he's never had a front page article for 4 damn days in a row. kylies not the first celeb to get cancer and she wont be the last, its not raising awarenes or any bs like that, its just fodder for the media. at least if she dies we wont have her c**p music anymore!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I understand why your angry about it, but please dont go wishing death on people...

and your not forced into listening to it... if you dont like what your hearing, chjange the channel or turn it off wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
I completely agree with Dom and Fine Rabid Dog.

Yes, it's unfair that a celebrity with cancer makes the front page whereas the thousands of other sufferers do not, but it's not exactly unexpected. Celebs are in the public eye, whereas most people are not. Ergo, when celebs get cancer they will make the papers whereas most people will not. It's not a bad thing - it's an inevitable consequence of the fact we have celebrities at all.

And in fact, for hundreds of other people, it's a good thing. When stuff like this happens, it tends to galvanise people to take up good behaviours like being self-aware of breast cancer. Kylie was an exceptionally strong case because she was so young. People think of breast cancer as a disease of old age, but it can affect young women too. The worst bit is that current screening methods don't work for younger women. So young women with inherited risks of breast cancer can only rely on themselves to spot the disease early enough to ensure successful treatment. What Kylie has done is to open the eyes of several people who were unaware of this.

And even if you don't agree with this, it's hardly Kylie's fault that she's on the front page! It's not like she bloody well got cancer to get publicity. Wishing her unwell because of the press coverage is completely unreasonable.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i never wished her to die, althouh i dont really care if she does.

i dont understand why whenever cancer is mentioned it seems to be women with breast cancer specified, there are many types of cancer........

does anyone think there should be some point where fundin to help people wiht re occurin cancer be stopped. i know its cold but my dad has had at least 5 million spent on keepin him alive over the last 6 years, and i start to wonder is it really neccisary to do this when that 5 mil could be spent helping more than one person? i spose its like the question of killing one innocent to save 1000.............

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it's perfectly fair that it hits the papers that she has cancer.

Because it ALSO hits the papers when she breaks up with a boyfriend, or gets caught drunk in public, or doing drugs, or any other number of little embarassing mistakes that all of us make without it winding splattered all over the paper.

Fame's a double edged sword.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: