Forums > Social Chat > Dreadlocks, Second Thoughts

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
For a while, ive wanted ot get dreadies, and i have planend to ahve them done on sunday, but last night, after i had my hair done for my school ball/formal/prom (whatever you want to call it) i started having second thoughts.
Maybe it was because my hair has never looked that good before, and it was all rpetty and definately not its usual, unruly, annoying self.
I want dreads...but i dont and i ahve no idea what to do.
Mum has offered top fork out $250 to order me some fake, synthetic dread falls from the internet if i dont want real ones.

I am COMPLETELY lost.
Can anyone tell me the ups and down of having dreads?
Can anyone tell me if they ahve synthetic dreads and waht they're like?

....help

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
i like dreads.
something about a girl with dreads that makes my heart say "yum"
although i dont spose that helps any..
dreads can smell, and they are hard to wash, and they can look unkempt, and people put you into a stereotypical thingie much faster and stuff.
but i still like them.
so:
hughug2hug
hope that helps. smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Hey there, ive had my dreads bout a year and a half now and can't imagine cutting them off yet! They are a bit hard to wash and i may look like you have dandruff cause the bits of skin which would normally fall out get stuck, but a wash will get them out.
And when you poi, wear a benie cause my chain got stuck in my dread at the back and burnt my hair! but they just went harder and burnt the fly aways off smile
If you want them - get them
i did and havnt regretted them, you get to be in the exclusive " i have dreads club" !!
pm me if you want to ask any questions smile

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
to be honest sakura, as pretty as i think you'd look with dreds, and as great as i think they look on most people, i think your hairs gorgeous as it is. its so shiny and staight. i'm not just saying this to get out of helping do them either! if your still not sure by tomorrow, we can always do them another time when you are sure, you don't want to rush the decision and risk regretting it. there's not a lot of turning back. hug

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i had dreads and i loved them to bits. unfortunately it meant that i couldn't get a decent job and in the end i had to cut them off. fortunately i didn't have to shave my head, i just had my hair cut relatively short and its taken soooo long to grow.

They look great and everyday i wish i still had them but i don't miss the smell and the itchyness.

I have since had many different types of 'fake' dreads and its great fun, you can change your style whenever you want and if you get bored you can go back to your own hair.

Saying all that, if it wasn't because it would upset my mum i would have them again, no doubt about it!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I have a friend who had synthetic dreads that were glued to his head. They looked good, was just weird when you felt them, they were all..plasticy heh.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
sweety, why dont you get braids and have them for a month if you want???

that way you can have a dready style, and not have to worry about never having normal hair again
xoxoxox *HUG*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Go to a site called www.knottyboy.com
I know its not hop but it will give you alot of information about getting dreads.

Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
Heya! I know exactly what you mean. I want to have dreads as well but im to afraid of ruining my hair. I really like my hair. Its very thick, soft and wavy and i just love my color. And im saving my hair so it will be really long. But i got a thingy for dreads. ^^ I want dreads so badly but i cant deside. So i came up with an idea. I sometimes have kafkabraids ( its like yarnbraids ) and they give a pretty cool dreadlook + you can choose any color on the yarn.. My favorite color is violet so.. ^^ BUT i want real dreads as well so now im going to get just a few dreads in my hair. Dread a little bit here and there and some yarnbraids a litte bit here and there. And i will still have some normal hair left. So braids + dreads + normal hair = pretty cool i think. ^^

Wish you good luck with making your desicion. ^^

”Maybe this world is another planet's hell.”
-Aldous Huxley

1,803 posts

Posted:
*chews on hair*
give me another week to think about it...it was just my hair looked so nice at the formal and all..
give it a week with my stupid, untamed hair and i'll want those dreadies pretty badly..

Galathalionmember
82 posts

Posted:
Ive already made my choice.. Im starting with my yarnbraids (take some time to braid and its so damn boring doing it yourself) and in two weeks im getting those dreads.. ^^ yay

”Maybe this world is another planet's hell.”
-Aldous Huxley

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
hug i'm sure you'll look beutiful either way. experimentation is what being young is all about. if you want dreads, get them. if you'd prefer to stick with falls for a while, then do that. do whatever makes you happy

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm a bit of a cyber kid and when i see people wearing those u.v. reactive fake dreads i think, i would love to wear them. dose any one know where (in england) i can get them, how much they cost and how to attatch them as i only have short hair hehe

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
clips + bright wool (if you can't find neon wool, use white and break highlighter pens open, soak the spongy bits in water and dye the wool in it)

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

i'm a bit of a cyber kid and when i see people wearing those u.v. reactive fake dreads i think, i would love to wear them. dose any one know where (in england) i can get them, how much they cost and how to attatch them as i only have short hair hehe

https://braidstorm.com/

Braidstorm are Southampton-based, which might be a bit far away for you. People like this are really quite amazing at what they do but they're really expensive - £60 absolute minimum. You may find that you would rather find a website you can buy fake hair from and beg a friend who owes you a favour to play with your hair for 6 hours. Offering pizza, beer and movies often sweetens the deal. wink

"Take that, math!"

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
that sweetens EVERY deal, puresock.
wink:)

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

1,803 posts

Posted:
drac in a box has fake dreads...v. nice, too

monoSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
i miss my dreads....am thinking about getting a "dread-hawk"!!

Inspector Goggles reporting for duty.

monoSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
might have been 2bags or mr ki-ai, another interesting hair style suggested by mr ki-ai was a fro-hawk!

Inspector Goggles reporting for duty.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Me toooooooo smile

POI THEO(R)IST

7,193 posts

Posted:
checked out that site and.......... well, not quite what im looking for but thanx anyway =))

1,803 posts

Posted:
yeah...the dreads are PINK...maybe not for you but they come in diff colours...or, theres wildilocks where i'm getting mine from

7,193 posts

Posted:
found a briliant site for cyber dreads its.....

www.cyber-jyber.co.uk

i have realy short hair so was thinking of sewing some into an alice band or sweat band. colour dosen't bother me but the green and black dreads look cool and only £20 biggrin ubbrollsmile

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
sometimes I think about getting them when I am older, coz I want to do Outdoor Ed, and my hair is terrible for Outdoor Ed...
But like many things, not sure how they would look...

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I'll have had my dreads for a year this month and I love them, even though they still look a bit shite because I had straight thin hair in the beginning. Depending on how you get them done changes how they'll look and how long it will take them to look good.
The first wayto do it with the least maintenence is to stop brushing and conditioning your hair. This takes the longest time and your dreads will first just be clumps of hair you'll have to separate into smaller dreads. This is the natural way of making dreads.
You can backcomb them in just to start it off which is what I did. My dreads still aren't that nice because i don't take very good care of them but thats part of the reson i like them no more combing. All the hair that i broke off starting my dread s is growing up inbetween the locks i already have and i need to wait for the hait to get longer so I can dread that or feedn it into the other ones.
The other way you can go is what I've heard people call store bought locks. You buy a kit and have some people sit down with you and section off all your hair. Then backcomb each section and rubberband and wax them off. This is probably the fastest way to getting nice looking dreads. You can buy the kits online at knottyboy.com and dreadheadhq.com.
Other tricks too tighten your hair up faster is too dye them after you have them in. This kills your hair faster and drys it out real quick-like. It also means you can have pretty colored dreads if you'd like.
Even tho theres ALOT of work involved having dreads it is completely worth it in my opnion. It does make getting a job harder in some parts of the world. It depends how open-minded the populace is around you. Even though my hair has looked like crap for a while one day I know I'll have awesome locks and thats completely worth the wait. Hope I've helped a bit. smile

Peace, Love, Circles

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
This site isn't being updated anymore, but is still a great source of info on fake hair extensions of all sorts, how to put them in and maintain them, and has lots of links.

Hope it's helpful!

https://quinnster.co.uk/hair/

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
Hey!

I make and sell my own synthetic dreads and I would recommend them to anyone. They're a bit heavy but once plaited in they look great and are really easy to look after. It takes about 4 hours in total to plait them in, but they stay in for weeks and if you get bored you just take them out. I definitely think that synthetic dreads are better because they give you choice. I love real dreads but having hair that comes off is a total bonus. You can get realistic looking extensions and still keep your hair underneath it all. Oh, and ravehead? If you're based in England and want dreads give me a shout. We can have a chat and try and maybe work out some custom made dread falls for you!

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

7,193 posts

Posted:
stormy queen of vodka (love the name) i've u2u'd u details. if it makes any sence i'll u2u2 again the site address i'm commonly found on =)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I too have dreads, which I think is already known... I also had doubts, but I'm the kind of person who considers things a bit, but after a certain amount of time, just dives in and does it. So, I got dreads. Now the worst bit is waiting for them to grrooowwww... So slow... considering getting extentions, but I dunno yet, it'd be quite expensive!!!

Unfortunately sometimes the parents aren't that agreeing! And you can't do too much stuff with them. Mine are almost always up in a ponytail or something, rarely down because the length of them annoy me a bit. But mine are clean, non-smelly, and rather nice I think!!!

Today is my 10 month anniversary as it were biggrin ubblove

I love my dreaddies, and I know I'd be really sad to loose them. Actually, I dreamt about about it lastnight! I cut my dreads off, and I had really silky hair again - but it was like 5cm long and I hated it soooo much!!!!

And hey, my bf loves playing with them, and loves them too biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

7,193 posts

Posted:
have you dreaded ya under beard?????
haha (giggle giggle) ubbloco ubblol

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran