KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm very new to poi. As in not even 24 hours total of practice time yet. I can do a few tricks such as the butterfly and the "Rave Move" as my teacher / fellow newbie and his teacher call it. Just wanted to say hi to all and tell everyone that I'm on.

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
hi bear!
poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
welcome hellooo

tell us more!

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Heloo to the bear! Great to have another newbie - I've been poi-ing only since January. Nice to have more of us to look dumbfoundedly at each other when some of these guys (in the unisex sense) get going!

Where in Cali are you??

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
heya how are you? tell us about youself smile
*waves frantically

back

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Evening biggrin

Meh

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hello wave

Whats your opinion on the colour pink? ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I'm from Clear Lake Cali, and pink is okay on women and awesome on guys (in certain cases). As for more about myself, I'm practicing constantly with brief brakes for food, sleep, and homework. Seems that lately I HAVE to practice constantly to keep up with all I'm doing. Being in a band and learning Bass at the same time as practicing martial arts and fire performing is kind of tough. Current Poi moves being learnt - The Weave, The Butterfly, The "Rave Move". In the latter two cases, I'm just trying to perfect my technique. Keep in mind I've been practicing for a VERY short amount of time so, any feedback on whether or not I'm overacheiving would be appreciated. And thanks for the warm welcome!

If you strap a piece of buttered toast, butter side up, to a cats back, would the cat get stuck in mid air if thrown due to quantum indecision?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
y0! congratulations, because i anti-hate you!! heart heart heart

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoP!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
heeeeeeeeeeeey =)))))))))))) welcome to the warm HoP hug

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Hey have a happy kiss filled time!!!

What is this so called "rave move" u speak of? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Yeah, do tell about rave-move.

Is it anything to do with the classic old "big-fish, little-fish, cardboard-box" dance pattern? Or does it involve cruelty to glosticks?

Anyway, welcome and enjoi the poi!

Mark

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
The Rave move is an unofficial move where the chain is shortened by wrapping once around your hand and then spun in a horizontol motion over your fist (helicopter like) in front of your body then under your fist and over and under, etc... and your other hand follows the first. So that while one poi is up, the other is down and vice versa. Hope I explained well. To practice the move you can shorten the chain further. Also, to practice, you can spin them at the same time so that the poi move together then move em apart.

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
hey bear, its tai.
just want to chime in, i learned the "rave move" from my teacher ryley granthem. we call it the "rave move" because it is a favourite glowstick at raves so far as we have seen. now, i am not quite sure but i believe the rave move bears some resemblance to the horizontal mexican weave, but it is done on shorter chain and the poi spins past your face and body rather closely. when your actually burning and not practicing it is quite an adredaline rush. weavesmiley

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Gidg bounces in on her pogo stick ... boing ... boing ... boing ...

That the "rave move"? Sorry to tell you this but it is a standard move when you are doing tradition poi. The Maori's have been doing it since before Cook found the New Zealand.

Welcome to HoP!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Apologies. I had no idea and had no way of knowing. As I've mentioned, I've been doing this for only about a day or two now and just before I started was when I first heard of it.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
No worries Kodiac. We are always rediscovering new moves, we don't know that they are old moves until someone says something.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Are both your poi spinning the same direction, or opposite? If it's like a horizontal mexican weave, I think they should be opp. - but it sounded like they're going the same direction - if so, we call that chasing the wrists - like a really tiny corkscrew?

And where is Clear Lake? Are you anywhere near LA? There are a few HoPers in and around LA and the Valley who are looking for spinning companions.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Clear Lake is north of the bay area. Sacramento is about 2 hours away from here. The poi are spinning the same direction and I'm pretty sure it's the same as chasing the wrists. Really tiny corkscrew...yeah...I guess it could be described that way. Oh, and thank you for informing on that little fact Gidg.

JOKER99newbie
10 posts

Posted:
WUDDUP BEAR
Name's Joker from NW Ohio.
I've been spinning for about five years, and let me tell you, it never gets old. I feel free when in the middle of those chains wrapping around me.
Anyways, I am at work again, and I gotta go.

KodiacBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I am back after a long absence! Instead of starting a new post I just decided to Re-introduce myself on the same one, but I guess I just about cover all I wanted to say except for Hello again poisters!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
welcome koda, did you mention raves................illegal raves..............with lots of messy people? if so..................bounce i must visit one day *adds to the list*ubblol

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Hey there! well re-welcome, in that case! biggrin

hug