LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I made a makeshift rope dart after going to Falmouth 3 and getting a couple of lessons from Durbs (cheers mate!). Wanted to turn it into a fire version so that I can practise with it until I'm comfortable enought to light it. But I was wondering if anyone has any particular advice about head design, i.e: is it better to have a heavier head, what sort of wick type works well, how much chain (and what type of chain) is advisable?

at the moment I have the rope made out of bungee cord (it's a bit too long though: I just wrap it around my left hand a few times) and a lightweight steel chain looped through the rope and a tennisball with a few coins in. Advice anyone?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
did you not see rosses or strugz darts in flamouth?

Step (el-nombrie)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
yeah but I was looking for advice from people who've been using them for a while: like with poi you get a feel for what works after a bit of experience. Also I notice that although strugz' and ross's darts were similar, durbs' dart was a bit different, with thinner rope, and cable instead of chain and a different type of tube core to the others. Also I thought it would be good to get views from lots of different people

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok,

i made strugz and roscos darts, and there are a few resasons whay i chose those materials for their heads and rope

mainly in that wire kinks and does not quite twist and bend the same as chain, it has more of a ridgid quality, also wire can be hard to ancor,

the rope i use is down to having a tripple brais nylon rope, for strength and durability

the head is made so taht it is not just a poi head on some rope, its designed to be more visual and burn for longer and brighter.
EDITED_BY: mech (1113486956)

Step (el-nombrie)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
out of interest, where do you get that sort of rope? The heads were tube core weren't they, i think, did you fill in the centre with wood for extra weight?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yes, the weight stops the wick feeling light, and adds more weightto the head that can be removed later if you need to

and unlike durbs head with is just pretty much a poi head, it will be more robust in the long run,

Step (el-nombrie)

Ootossnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Rope dart is a traditional soft weapon of wushu/kung fu, typically 5 yards long with a "dart" on the end of the rope, attached by several rings to the rope, followed by a red piece of cloth to catch the eye. The dart itself weighs about 3 or 4 ounces. Once competent with the weapon, the weight may be increased for further practice. Am working on mastering the weapon currently and it can be very interesting weapon to use. As for practice, it would probaly be better to go buy one. If not, use a rope cord with a fishing weight perhaps... And don't use the bungee cord, bad!