Forums > Social Chat > Old People Never Cease to Impress Me

Login/Join to Participate

Kabukimanmember
42 posts

Posted:
So I was at my company luau/potluck thingy to recognize the volunteers at my workplace. It was pretty neat... free wine and all... I chose not to have any because I heard they were going to have hula dancers and performers come in so I signed myself up for some fire spinning (I figured hey what the well... when's the next time I'm going to be allowed to make fires inside a government establishment). At any rate, a majority of the volunteers are in their golden years. I was starting to worry about them getting offended and what not but decided to continue with my act. I got up to spin and every one was kind of off in there own world talking to themselves, but when I lit the poi up I got a whole bunch of *gasp*... plus the standard ooooo and aaaaaaahhh and that usually accompanies someone attempting to light the room on fire. Wouldn't you know it but every single elderly human being in the room was giving me a standing ovation at the end of my set. I was actually amazed... I never would have guessed that old people would appreciate something that primal. I would go so far as to say it was really cool being around old folk that night.

I wouldn't know... I've never given a cartoon character an orgasm.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
old folks are cool...
Sparx did a spin session for my Grampies the other week, THEY LOVED IT! whilst my mum was kinda worried and scared the first time we spun for her.... the olds just thought it was great!

Its funny, when i told my Nan that i was spinning poi, she went on to tell me all about how she used to Baton and staff twirl when she was my age, and if they;d had fire around then, she would have had a go at that too!

Dont underestimate ya oldies! they still gots lots of good stuff in their headies. *nod*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
one time me and some friends were playing hackey sack while waiting for something. we had just started out. then one of my friend's mom came up and said
"Hey we used to play something like that when we were small. We made our own sacks though"

then she played with us and destroyed us all

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi Kabukiman (noticed your online name yesterday : beautiful one )

And indeed what a beautiful topic ... My grandmother is my soulmate ... she is 95, almost I am 27 and yet we are perfctly connected
because she cannot move anymore, we made a little video of me doign poi / firedancing and she absolutely loved it (actually better than the video of my black belt exam a few years ago where she got all angry and "that mean man attacking you" ). She said "you and fire get along so well, uh ?

I think there is always a lot to learn from listening to older people... this is why I am a gerontophile ... It breaks my heart that our western society does not give them the respect they deserve, and even for its own benefit, does not even listen to their experience ...

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Kabukimanmember
42 posts

Posted:
Alas... 'tis the truth... some of the most interesting people I have met were rather elderly. It upsets me when the people of my generation write them off as being old and boring without giving them a chance. On the flipside they do have their moments... I was going to do some fire-dancing for my step-dad's family and his parents were there. My step-grandpa went to go get me a fire extinguisher. When he came back he immediatelly sprayed me with a blast to the face to show my brother how to use it properly. I actually thought it was hilarious because it was a simple mistake, I just didn't want to laugh and suck in all the wonderful tasting chemical mist. Yeah... but I hold many an old folk in high respect.

I wouldn't know... I've never given a cartoon character an orgasm.

4,224 posts

Posted:
that's sweet !!!

check your PMs, Kabukiman, please

shine on
cassandra

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:

Cass has a black belt!

'z cass and tries not to get thrown to the ground!

P

4,224 posts

Posted:
ROFL 'tis too late Mark, too late
MWAH HA HA HA HA

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Ha yeah, y'all watch out for Cass, she's my buddy as well..........

Think of all the old martial arts masters, Hatsumi Soke is knocking 80 and he still whizzes around like a little kid and you wouldn't even contemplate messing with him!!!!

whats up with all the limitations?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
awww bugger!

If you promise not to hurt me I will cook all your crepes with nutella for you (i make a mean batter mix )