Forums > Social Chat > Do I or dont I let Random people at Raves etc use my Toys?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Normally I'm well up for letting someone use my toys and just say yeah go for it and presume all that can go wrong is they burn themselves a little, I couldnt be more wrong.

Well on Sat night there was a Free Party in Manc which I spent ages walking to with my mates got in there and we were right lets have some fire so I got my Fists out had one spin and was asked by a pretty young lady if she could have a go so as usual I was like yeah go for it enjoy yourself, still had the Please dont kill yourself feeling as always but then realised she was a great spinner and watched her do some lovely moves then my poi went out and somehow she let go of one of my Poi and it flew accross the warehouse, I expected her to find it straight away but she couldnt, even her mates looked and couldnt I spent all night looking but couldnt even stayed till it was light but no joy. I'm not as such angry at her because she was really apologetic (so if your reading it I'm not after your blood) and I could see the honesty in her eye whats made me mad is I use my Chains for My fire Poi Practice poi and my flags so unless my mate can lend me one chain and one fist for Falmouth it means I'll have no Poi No flags and No Fire Poi. Its lucky I have my Staff as it kinda put a downer on my rave and also could of made me miserable in Falmouth but I wont be!

Grrrrrrr! Think Happy thoughts!
ubbidea

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Why not take their phone as colateral?

biggrin

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i made the decision this weekend not to lend ANY of my stuff to ANYONE any more, cd's, dvd's, books, spinning gear etc frown

might sound a bit harsh but the amount of times stuffs been lost or broken on me now at this stage is just getting ridiculous so i've decided to knock it on the head

i've had good friends beg and plead and promise not to lose/break whatever, but it's inevitable that something always goes missing. maybe i should just stop hanging out with stoners wink

i've had a pair of LED's broken on me before. had to order a new bulb from Oz, wait aaaagges, and pay for the new one myself

just a couple of weeks ago someone lost my Globugs that i bought here on HoP. she promised to make it up to me, and by that i took it to mean buy me a new pair. we met a the weekend and i was stunned when she handed me a pair of flags that she'd made herself the night before. they were pretty enough, but i already have lots of pairs of flags, and the new ones given to me cost about 5 quid to make as opposed to the 30 odd bucks i spent on the Globugs. to make matters worse the new flags were given to me in front of many of our mutual friends so i felt obliged to accept the gift and keep my mouth shut. still feel hard done by though....

and as of this weekend, i don't even have my own fire poi any more. someone ran off with one of mine without looking, and is now in possesion of two poi with not only different handles, but that are also two completely different lengths.

do folks not check the poi they take from a dunk at the end of an evening? in a year and a half of spinning i've never arrived home with the wrong poi.... confused

frown

[/rant]

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Its for the good off the Borrower they cant lose it if they dont Borrow it!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i lend out stuff to ppl alot, hehe ive got several sticks floating around different parts of the globe, i have looooooots of sticks so i guess i dont mind so much if one doesnt find its way home, i work with the idea that i will only lend something if im prepared to lose it, if it comes back bonus. after all its just stuff

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Very true I kept myself happy all night by saying I could of lost my life, I lost one Poi it aint too bad and then laughed at a mate rolling round the floor on Kay!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so true, besides the number of spinners that will be at falmouth with gear that you can borrow well itll be more than you can poke a poi at .... mainly cos u cant poi with poi biggrin

hehe you started the night with one set of poi, then one of your poi was lost so at the end of the night you didnt have your poi anymore yet you still left with your poi hehe language is funny

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
depends how rich you are I guess smile

I'm usually fairly libral with lending toys out, polythene had a set of my firepoi for about 8 months a while ago. I'm not sure I'd feel the same about aerotech to people I don't know thou, I had my previous electroglo smashed into a concrete wall by a random person at a party (too bad I don't do drugs as she tried offering me a selection in payment) and firepoi handles soaked in paraffin on numerous occassions, not to mention the time a less than sobar scarey looking scotsman repeatedly stamped on some new cathedrals to put them out tongue

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
Every monday night I lend out my three sets of fire poi, one set of poi belonging to my flat mates and my two staff's to a random selection of people who have gathered to perform together for the Edinburgh Beltane festival. Every single time all my toys have come back to me. All of them.
smile

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
in a chilled out place like falmouth or a meet up i dont tend to mind people using my stuff. its at bigger busier events or parties i become alot more wary and im quite protective over my stuff anyway.

i hate lending people my books - not because i dont want to lend them but because i hate it when people put books down open... it cracks the spine and damages the book.. ahhh.... the worst for this being my sister... who recently left a note while i was out saying she had borowed no less then 6 of my fave books... im finding it hard to sleep at night! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
thats weird

i bend my books on purpose

smile

honestly

Love is the law.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by:

i hate lending people my books - not because i dont want to lend them but because i hate it when people put books down open... it cracks the spine and damages the book.. ahhh.... the worst for this being my sister... who recently left a note while i was out saying she had borowed no less then 6 of my fave books... im finding it hard to sleep at night! xxx

The worst part is when they claim it was like that when they borrowed it, which it clearly wasn't. I always keep my stuff prestine. If someone borrows something I hope they treat it the same way I would. If they accidently damage/break something and own up to it then that's OK, if they're willing to pay towards a new one that's great. When people deny it was them then I know never to trust them again.

Another factor is normal wear and tear. What if someone borrowing your thing is the unfortunate person who happens to be using it when after several years of abuse it finally gives up? I got charged 40 quid for a squash racket I borrowed a while ago, because it cracked whilst I was using it. Squash rackets are notorious for this, and having played the guy I borrowed it off many times, I've watched him regularly throw/bounce it against the wall/floor (he's a bad looser). I know that it was unfair to charge me for it breaking when I was using it to teach a complete beginner to play with it (no fast play/smashes/scrapes at all). Oh well, I paid of course, but don't borrow squash rackets anymore tongue

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Stuff is stuff.

As for Falmouth, worry ye not, there'll be sh*tloads of toys to play with.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
hmmm even stuff with sentimental value?? XXX

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

i made the decision this weekend not to lend ANY of my stuff to ANYONE any more, cd's, dvd's, books, spinning gear etc frown

i had to try that.
but it didn't work.

i'm not mean enough to say no to friends that want to borrow my movies and stuff so i end up with a smaller and smaller movie collection frown
...still missing...

i try and avoid lending stuff out to randoms at parties - mainly because i tend to forget that i've lent something out and wander off to enjoy the party only remembering that i gave things away an hour later when i want to play again and can't find my stuff.

if i sound mean, its because i am tongue

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
lol, i always 4get wen i lend peeps stuff, the other day i was lookin through a friedns cd collection and commented that i had one of his cds like a year ago but lost it, and he sed he knew, it was mine!!! y do peeps know they hav sumfin of urs and not give it back? it doesnt make ne sense

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I'm not too bothered about lending my stuff to people, since it comes back the vast majority of the time.
What really gets me is people just borrowing things without asking and then screwing them up.

A while back, I was chatting with someone and turned around to see a random bloke spinning fire with my poi. Generally, that's fine with me, I wasn't using them and as long as he treats them with a bit of respect, I'm not going to worry about it.
However, he was pretty drunk and insisted on wrapping the chains around his hands, all the way until he was holding the wicks while they were still lit. He did this maybe 4 times, for a couple of seconds each.
My poi have handles made of nylon webbing and when I got them back, the handles were partially melted and now have hard beads of nylon along the edges where it melted and solidified again, making them incredably uncomfortable to spin with.

I was not pleased, but by the time I'd looked at them properly, the drunkard had wandered off into the crowd mad

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I kind figured I'd have someone willing to borrow your all so Lovely, I've just also lent a single chain from someone so I have two to go on my flags Phew Panic over. Think I'll be doing a Mix of Vixen's and Freud's idea for Randoms who want to play from now on, at raves that is!

If i lend your fire poi make sure I throw a J your way(For Falmouth, well any time infact!)

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
2 good guidelines

only let the sober ones use anything...
if its fire make the person show you what they can do first before letting them light up....

and just keep an eye on the person as they use the toy..then just get it back....

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I find that I went through a phase of such good nature, that if some one asked me if they wanted to borrow something, I'd say "Why not"..and then completely forget about it. It's ben almost 2 years and I got my Battle Royal back! Woot!

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

Stainless MunchkinMaster of the Munchkins
246 posts

Posted:
wud u guys lend practice poi out? are they easier to screw up?

Are you that clever that you smile forever? biggrin

What's from the Earth is of the greatest worth

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
omg...battle royale....such a messed up movie....lol

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Written by: darkpoet

only let the sober ones use anything...
if its fire make the person show you what they can do first before letting them light up....

and just keep an eye on the person as they use the toy..then just get it back....

The first part i keep in mind and is why i NEVER let random scags who say they can do it and then dont show me with sox have my fire poi.
And the second i do with everything. I think im slightly possessive, a family trait maybe. I try to hide it though smile

On the subject of losing things. I just lost £60. £30 to a parking ticket, arrgh! and £30 to a necklace i bought my mom (some f___er took it when i left it in the bank)! Arrgh!
Twice as annoying coz i need money for Falmouth so that is a bummer. oh well only money.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
coleman, spirited away, aww thats a beautiful film. did yoy ever get it back?

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Damn I'm jinxed, I lost my bus pass and all my bank cards last night, but I'm not stressing as its only stuff!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i got clerks, adaptation and spirited away back i think.

still missing all the rest of those plus princess mononoke frown

it may only be stuff, but it costs money to replace and knowing that its only friends that can possibly have it is a bit saddening.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

it may only be stuff, but it costs money to replace and knowing that its only friends that can possibly have it is a bit saddening.

i agree frown

what i often wonder is what these people that have all your stuff think when they see it lying about.

i mean, it hasn't vanished or disappeared into thin air....

your dvd's are in someone's drawer, under a bed/couch or whatever at someone else's place

my place is messy enough at the best of times but if there's something lying about that's not mine, i'll notice, and 9 times out of ten remember who owns it and get it back to them.

unfortunately not everyone is equally considerate frown

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
alright alright

i bought your cd's and they are on the way

smile

i do not consider myself inconsiderate though. i am extremly forgetful to the point of almost not being able to look after myself.

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Malcolm has been really kind and got my poi situation sorted he's sorting it so I'm just really buying one poi, now thats damn good customer service I work in a supposed C/s department and gestures of good will happen but only after a million and one letters

Hop is so great makes you feel like family rather than a source of income!

Malcolm if I ever meet you a drink on me is more than deserved!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, Mill...it sounds to me like you took a risk (and admittedly it's a small risk).

And for the price you got to see something that most spinners rarely get to see: a good spin as seen from outside the sphere of poi.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: