DumbA$$member
3 posts

Posted:
someone probably has already asked this question but i'll ask it again. what age group do you feel should be let into raves? putting aside all the drugs and the bad stuff.

just for shits and giggles what is the oldest person you have seen at a rave?

peace

Im going to hell whose coming with me?

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
no younger then 16 no older then 30 unless your working the rave.. thats my thoughts on it..

i hate the creepy old guy perverts and the 13 year old confused kids.. its disturbing.

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Lightbug that that puts both myself and SNOOPoi out of the equation then, as she's 13 and I am over the hill

Ageism sucks!

[ 15 September 2002, 10:48: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm, thirty? that is ageism.

the youngest i seen at raves is about 2year olds and the oldest has to be pushing 70, and he wont no dirty old man, he was cool as...

Think the thing about raves is they should be a Free Party where peaple can do what they like and not be shut out. shure you get dirty old men and stupid kids, but thats the way of the world, ravin should be about engagement aswell as escapisim. I dont want my events sanatised thankyouverymuch.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yes, Nix, yes!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Raves are like clubs, they should all be under 18, cos thats the only age people who go to them!!

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
not around here, Fire_Emanator, in SoCal we're full of everything from huge massives (5,000+ heads) down to specialty DnB with all-ages crowds, and some clubs too, but plenty of 19+ go to those general all-ages, and we got lots and lots of 18+ and 21+ parties in all kinds of venues.

what up with party crowds where you go? no older ravers than 18 in your part of Australia?

[ 15 September 2002, 11:56: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
16 +, if you can drive yourself to a party without mommies help, than by all means you should be allowed in

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
but dont drive back till you had a good sleep!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jello:
16 +, if you can drive yourself to a party without mommies help, than by all means you should be allowed in
What about if you go with someone older, be it relative or friend? Is this like an R rated movie now? We need someone older to accompany us?

I agree with Nix. Everyone should be welcomed.

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
I believe that young developing minds shouldnt be exposed to the drugs that come with raves and clubs and the negative energy that sometimes sits so heavily in places like this.

I agree that idealistically it should be a place where everyone goes to have fun BUT there is a large negative element that goes to raves and clubs with the specific intension to take advantage of the young and vunerable. There is no denial that this exists and that many cases of drink spiking, rape and assault (sexual or otherwise) come out of raves and clubs.

If you have 13 year olds wondering through raves like the lost children they are, they will be the prime targets of the people looking to take advantage of the vunerablities that come with innocence, nievity and drugs.

Unfortunately this is the case, the amount of unreported rapes that occure in clubs and raves is extremely high. The shame and confusion a 13 year old girl experiences when subjected to such degredation leads many of them suicide. I personally know a girl who was raped continuously from the age of 13 to 18. As a result she is so fucked in her head that she probably isnt going to get over it for the rest of her life.

I've had people try to assault me at raves simply because their girlfriend was watching me firedance and they got jealous. Raves and Clubs need to 18+ in perth because we have too many losers here that would cause so much suffering for their own personal gratitude.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Perhaps if a younger person was in the company of an older friend it would be different but it still leaves the problem that they are much more exposed to drugs and the "negative energy" that their minds have trouble handling at that age.

I may sound 'anti drugs' here but I'm not. I've seen it open up the minds of many of my friends but I believe they are only for certain people because I've also seen my friends die and also end up in mental hospitals. I strongly believe that if your brain is still in the developemental stage drugs will do serious harm to you. This is why I think young people shouldnt be exposed to them.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 2. Miss.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by BurningByron:
I believe that young developing minds shouldnt be exposed to the drugs that come with raves and clubs and the negative energy that sometimes sits so heavily in places like this.
You should go to a San Francisco rave. There is rarely a negative energy around. I see little kids at them all the time. It's amazing!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
wow that cool! It just must be Perth then. I've gone to clubs and raves and have seen some really fucked up shit like huge amounts of energy being drained from everyone there, its easy to do because everyone there is in a state of contraction and are leaving themselves vunerable to anything wanting to take advantage of their energy. I'm not sure if many people will follow what Im saying but I'm sure there will be a few that have witnessed something similar.

The energy of places around the world can be very different.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 2. Miss.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well, what is a rave? Is it an open party with drugs loud music lights and people spinning glowsticks all over the place, or is it just a group of people congragating the same place for a like cuase, to enjoy themselves and eachothers company?

Or what ever you definition is, I think the main thing is, is that there is some bad stuff that goes on at some raves, what age should the majority of people be, to be able to choose what they partake in dont partake in.

Can a 13 year old be trusted not to do the wrong thing and can a 30 year old be trusted not to take advantage of any one who does make a wrong decision?

In this great country we can restrict anyone for any reason based on one simple principle, "We reseve the right to refuse business from anyone for any reason."

If that is posted there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
byron,
raves, particularly bushraves can be incredibly positive and is for me an ideal lifestyle, far from being a drain, i feel recharged as an individual. come to the friendlier do's @ melb, it's ace ere!
it's not for everyone.
it shouldn't be for no-one.
'nuff said.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nix?:

Think the thing about raves is they should be a Free Party where peaple can do what they like and not be shut out. shure you get dirty old men and stupid kids, but thats the way of the world, ravin should be about engagement aswell as escapisim. I dont want my events sanatised thankyouverymuch.

N

I agree.

Burning Byron, I don't know what kind of raves you go to but the ones I have been to with my daughter are nothing like that.

As for her being much more exposed to drugs I strongly disagree. She is just as exposed to drugs on the street and in school. Many of her peers gobble pills, take amphetamines, take much worse things and smoke ganja constantly, yet she doesn't touch anything. Why? Because she has had a front line education on the dangers of drugs and knows a lot more about the pitfalls than kids who have been "protected".

I dont't expect many will agree with me on this but it is my choice how to bring up my child.

Onelove Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
thistle

Definately the right attitude, it is the upbringing not the exposure that is the important thing

I think that the free party scene is a very safe place 9 times out of 10 and if there is a bad vibe surrounding one of these parties then you can easily make the decision to leave.

As for the age side of this thread - a limit of 30 years old for free parties if fecking rediculous! - What do you expect me to do in 5 years time? Part exchange my poi and paraffin for a pipe and slippers????? - NO CHANCE!!

The free part atmosphere is made by all the people that go to it, that is people of all ages, there is always someone new that you can talk to or something to be learnt. I go out with lots of people that are over 30 and I will quite happily chat with others at the parties. I think it is a situation where everyone looks out for everyone else.

I do possibly agree that there should be a lower age limit but only for unaccompanied children and I wouldnt really like to set an age limit on this as it depends on the person entirely. I have met 20 odd year olds that are less mature than some teenagers.

Anyway that is my 2 pence worth

MArk P

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
GoodDay all

I have to say ALL of you are making perfect sense. From what I can see, any difference of opinion is down to a difference in party scene.

Personally, I'm on the free party vibe. The ones I attend generally, cater for all. Dance, chillout, healing and Kids space's. I love the fact I can walk into a party and see an old Shamen pushing 70 in the corner, having a perfectly coherant conversation with a young mother nursing her new-born child. People even bring their dogs. Thats just the way it is. And everyone is there for eachother. I couldn't count the friends I've made on my hand if I had a thousand fingers.

But this collective spirit dosn't exist everywhere, so there IS cause for concern. We just have to remember it's case sensitive.

xxx

Az abouve, So below...

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Yeah, all free and welcome.....more parents responsibility for making sure 12 year old aint out at 4 in the morning harassing you to give them pills and stuff coz it's annoying.

Although 8 year old kids that go round setting fire alarms off, so that police/fire brigade turn up should be allowed in, and then promptly beaten shitless along with their old man.......no particular reference there honest..........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

RazzaMattazmember
9 posts

Posted:
I have to shake my head at the amount of bitching that some people do I would give anything to be out raving every night possible. I live in such a small town that the word "rave" around here sends the local reinforcement round the bender in a panic. I work as a dj in the next town (45min drive to work) and wish i was back in the city (perth being the closest to me) I have to agree that there is way to many young minds trying to get in the club and rave scene, they still need time to enjoy being kids and stop rushing to grow up. There is a time and place for everything and everything in its palce and time!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It does make me a bit sad that most of the dance/rave scene is so young. As a 29 year old, I certainly don't have problems hangin' with the younger set but would rather hang with people my own age. I've often avoided seeing some of my favorite DJs spin because I'm just not in the mood to hang with High School kids.

Keep in mind I'm a teacher, so I hang with them all week long and love them dearly. I just sometimes need a break to hang with kids my own age.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

chairmenmeow47member
81 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nix?:
humm, thirty? that is ageism.

N

"there's no such thing as a free lunch" that's the only thing i remember from economics, and it holds true. you may have meant free as in free to all ages, sorry for the confusion. but a rave needs these essential things to be successful:

promotion
sound
dj's
venue
security

those things unfortunatly cost money. if you can find someone with a great sound system that spins, has his own club/desert, and knows a whole bunch of people who will come to make a fun atmoshpere, then you've got a free rave, but nothings free in this world.

as for the age limit, i agree with 16 being the minimum, but as for the limit that is a tough call. i've been partying for 3 1/2 years now, and i generally never meet anyone over 30. eh, i'd say 35 if you ask me. i don't think there should be restrictions on the limit though, i think the crowd will genreally stay younger.

[ 17 September 2002, 13:00: Message edited by: chairmenmeow47 ]

-ivy. = ^ )

Ralph, jesus did not have wheels.--sunday school teacher, the simpsons

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Ah bushraves are different your right. I havent been to a bush rave thats had a large negative element to it.

True enough Thistle, kids are exposed to drugs where ever they go, but... at some of the raves I've gone to its not just the drugs and the people on them that could potentially harm the 8 year olds, its the dark energy that can often resides in some of the raves and clubs that I believe their young minds dont understand how to deal with.

Oh and the whole upbringing VS exposure thing... I know plenty of families where one child is clean cut and stays away from all drugs and alcohol, while the other child is raving and clubbing and pilling and drinking till all hours of every morning. I think both exposure and upbringing have a very strong influence on what choices a child makes while growing up. If I was with a different group of friends throughout high school I would be a different person to who I am now. Exposure to an event is like the chaos theory, "a butterfly flaps its wings in one part of the world which creates a hurricane in another part of the world".

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 2. Miss.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Wow - some interesting views here....

Like DFQ and Bender, I come from the "free" scene. We call them doofs or bush parties (and they're not always free) and they truly are a place for everyone to be free, keeping in line with the collective good.

I've been high on acid and played at being a fairy with 2 little girls for hours; I've blown bubbles with little ones and had a good old dance in the earth with kids too. Kids at parties are great, cos more often than not they have an understanding instilled within them from their upbringing; their parents share the beauty of the spirit with them, and the children give as much as they take at the parties.

Non-Https Image Link

One of the most beautiful things I've seen at a party was a beautiful earthy mum gently dancing with her toddler in her arms...

And as for upper age limit: screw that! one of my closer friends within the doof scene is the same age as my dad; and neither of us think anything of it. One of my best friends and fellow HOPer Finn is over 30 and has just had a wee bairn - I can't wait to party with BOTH of them!

This pic is of one of our scene's promoter's mum - the energy she shared on the dancefloor was fantastic!

Non-Https Image Link

However, having said all that, I don't think it's appropriate that adolescents sneak out of home, gobble too many drugs and create a nuisance of themselves at night club and "raves" (in the true sense of the word).

DFQ is right on the mark - it's case sensitive.

Non-Https Image Link

[ 17 September 2002, 17:41: Message edited by: flash fire ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Thistle, by front line education do you mean useage or just education? I am not trying to say anything about raising kids (mainly because I know I am not mature enough to even consider haveing a kid in any aspect)

But good on her for not doing the drugs. I admire someone who can have the temptation infront of them and still resist it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
dammit! my links to pics just won't work!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.