Page: ...
MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I recently got my grubby little hands on a unicycle. Woo, except I'm rather rubbish. So far I have:

fallen off lots

fallen off lots more and worked out that if I grab the seat, the uni doesn't clatter to the ground

managed ride forward somewhat unsteadily, furthest being about 15 metres

managed twice to stop and ride backwards for a couple of revolutions before falling off

idle (more by luck than anything else) for a couple of seconds

bruised my shins lots trying to mount the damn thing

fallen off some more

learnt that a 2 x 1.5 metre patio isn't the ideal place to try to learn

Given the lack of space (meaning I can't really practice going forwards smoothly, as I run out of space before I get going), what is best to attempt to learn next? Idling or mounting?

J

EDITED_BY: MrConfused (1110309471)

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
The axle is the centre of the wheel, where all the spokes meet. The crown is the part of the unicycle frame where you want to put your foot (where it splits to the left and right of the wheel). Can you wheel walk? Most people progress from riding-> wheel walking->1 foot wheel walking-> gliding.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Ah right, that's what the crown is.

Yah, I can wheel walk cool haven't tried one-foot wheel walking - though I suppose it is the obvious next step. I'll give that a go instead. biggrin

Thanks.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Tyciolnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Congratulations on your progress. When I get a unicycle I'll definately be holdin on to something to practise balance, but I imagine it really is something you need to learn while riding.

The elbow and shin pads so many of us neglect bicycling or roller-skating, they seem like a very smart idea for unicycling. I had not pictured using them but I really must.

Coln_OldnCrankystranger
9 posts

Posted:
I recently got a giraffe. I hve done very little riding of it so far, practcing instead to freemount. Ihavenotice however that the unicycle seat is always puuling towards the rear. I suspect it is because the seat is too far roward, so the whole shaft has a small but significant lean to the rear which, with the pressure on the cranks, makes it force to wards the back. I can't readily adjust the seat front-rear.

I wonder if Ishould go tothe trouble of adjusting it back a couple of inches? I can't see anything about it on the web.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Tyciol, the first thing I learned on a unicycle was how to fall of properly. On a unicycle, it's very unlikely that you'll fall off sideways (due the way a wheel rolls!), you're far more likely to fall off forwards or backwards.

Which makes falling of safely remarkably simple (or so I've found anyway). Simply step forwards when you feel like you're falling forwards, and step off backwards when you feel like your falling backwards.

This method of falling (i.e. stepping off the unicycle) has only ever failed me once - and that's because my loose shoe-laces got tangled up on the pedals and tied my foot to the metal!!

I don't think shin pads/helmets etc are really necessary for unicycling - unless you're mountain unicycling or traveling at 'high speeds' on a 36" Road Unicycle. wink

But hey, if you're finding it a painful learning experience, then it can't hurt to wear them anyway. But it's not as dangerous as it first seems.

Definitely learn to 'step off', it doesn't take long for your body to sense when you're losing balance. If you can't step off the unicycle, fall backwards onto your bum - its the least painful place to land if your feet aren't an option. biggrin

Coln, I have only ridden a giraffe unicycle four times - and the seat felt uncomfortable, but it wasn't 'too far forward' like you're describing, so I'm afraid I can't really offer you any advice.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Anyone around doing any?

My own progress is on hold until I get a 24" (should be some time this week). Although, can ride a fair distance, but freemount is my next goal.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yay! Getting better. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Woop back on hop, finally at the manchester Juggling convention I cracked one footed riding about time too been able to idle one footed for a long time. Wheel walking is my next enemy

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I finally learned how to ride mine after having it for 2 years!

So far, I can ride it for a short while... do very wide turns.... and free mount it occasionally.

It is so much fun now that I can ride it!

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Its a lonely little thread this.

I bought a bc, its like learning all over again. Four metres is the most I've moved after a couple of goes.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
OK , 4 years later and only 4 more metres on the BC, but wheel walking is becoming normal now, even if I do need to practice getting back down on 89mm cranks

I even found some other local unicyclists only a 5min ride away on the 19".

Page: ...