master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
so I was talking to my cat just now, damn thing makin to much noise, and I was using derrogatory words and such, but not in an angry tone and it got me thinking;

is it morally wrong to insult something or someone that cannot understand what you say, if your tone of voice isn't angry or threatening?

I mean on the one hand, you sound like your being nice, and they dont know you insulted them. a word is only angry or threatening if you believe it is so.

but on the other hand, you still are using terms that you know to be insulting by the general consensus of people who speak your language.

any thoughts?

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
heheee./. I can just see you now:

"ooo, you're a little b*stard, aren't you kitty?! Yes, you are, yes you are - you noisy little f*cker. Come here you wittle son of a b*tch, come on... come here you annoying little pr*ck....daddy gonna kill you, yes he is. oooww - aren't you just the most dispicable putty tat in the whole wide world!"

all said in very high pitched tone

yeah - I always felt a pang of guilt when doing similar stuff to babies. I'm reformed now though, so please don't think badly of me.

lol.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
About as morally wrong as it is when the cats shits in your shoe, even though he sees you wearing the fu*king things all day every fu*king day........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's morally wrong as the animal doesn't understand language, only tone of voice. I talk to my dogs in this way frequently and they wag their tails, therefore it is morally right bcause it makes them happy.

Are we nearly there yet?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
The question isnt, is swearing to a cat immoral, the question is... Is swearing immoral?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Mmmm, difficult question, so I will throw this in to spice things up

If a person didn't speak your native tongue, & you talked to them in a really friendly tone, but calling them all the rude names under the sun, would that be wrong?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
yes if you are instructing them or talking to other people but no otherwise

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
If you have ever seen the first rush hour you will see that jackie chan knew perfectly well that chris tucker was saying. You might want to be carefull in that situation.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

445 posts

Posted:
well i have been many times in the netherlands and people have made a comment and i have replied..
some japanese friends have been chatting over here and in passing comment people have got pissed and replyed to it...

Enjoy - A

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
So what makes the difference between this situation, & badmouthing your pet? Is it because you know you are getting away with it, & you cat is not about to turn around & make a comment back?

Or is it something else?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

445 posts

Posted:
i dont think it is such saying it to them.. it is with someone... so i see if you were saying you pet is*** to someone who understands then that is bad, it is mocking or similar but itherwise not really bad

Enjoy - A

chiequitomember
25 posts

Posted:
I think If you didn't mean to hurt them, swear words are just playful words...mmm I don't know swearing is not nice though, sometimes I feel terrible after I call my friend bastard! Even if that was just a joke or something. Difficult Q.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I wasn't referring to swear words persay. what I said to my cat was "your so annoying, yeah you are. arent you just the most annoying thing?" so its not really swearing.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

445 posts

Posted:
bu is that to somone else??

is it then bad to think something bad about someone?? as i see that as essentially the same thing

Enjoy - A

chiequitomember
25 posts

Posted:
What has your cat done!?
Did you mean it or just said it?

chiequitomember
25 posts

Posted:
That's not the point, is it I suppose... What was the question again? Is it bad saying bad thing to someone who don't understand you?

chiequitomember
25 posts

Posted:
It's same as back stabbing maybe...it makes me think.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
well, my cat is really annoying. incredibly annoying in fact. don't mean that i hate it though.

mostly I am referring to if you were to badmouth someone who definitely didn't understand you, without hating them, in a nice tone, would it be wrong?