Forums > Videos > Video codecs and encoders

Login/Join to Participate

Lavatwilight
Lavatwilight

old hand
Total posts: 834
Posted:*thanks for moving this to the right place smile *

I need a good video compressor for the mac, preferably one that i can stick in my imovie plugines to export it with, id like an .avi converter as i dont like WMV. thank you all people biggrin biggrin

lava

EDITED_BY: Lavatwlight (1105826625)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Delete Topic

Bretch
Bretch

enthusiast
Total posts: 247
Posted:Best I could say is do a search, the mac website's normally got fairly good info on it, or e-mail them.

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

Delete

Sym
Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest
Total posts: 1858
Posted:You would get a quicker answer if you gave your post a better subject and posted in the right forum.

Or, just googled it.

Hay ho.

Is there something you don't like about iMovie? Are you saying you have existing .wmvs' you'd like to convert? or are you compressing your DV film in to something.

As I say, google it. Maybe search here, but Mac people are few and far between on here AFAIK.

I use Finalcut Pro, but that might be a bit over kill for you, donno.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

Ifrit
Ifrit

The GF of HoP
Total posts: 492
Posted:i believe that the editing has been done in imovie bu lavatwilight does not want to convert the final project to quicktime as its crappy.

fire leads to creation

Delete

Sym
Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest
Total posts: 1858
Posted:Quicktime is very good indeed. It's going to take over the HD market with H.264. The only bad thing about it is that most people don't have it.

If you do want to convert the wmv it can be done (i think) with ffmpegX (http://homepage.mac.com/major4/). This wont work if there is any DRM on the file.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:i have been using imovie to make my videos, and using divx to compress them, download the mac version of divx from the divx website, which is probably www.divx.com.

smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Ifrit
Ifrit

The GF of HoP
Total posts: 492
Posted:

thanks you two, i just hope lava reads that sooner rather than later as its my movie hes compressing smile

avi seems to compress to a smaller file yet not loseing as much quality as mpegs and wmv doesnt it?

EDITED_BY: Ifrit (1105816338)

fire leads to creation

Delete

Lavatwilight
Lavatwilight

old hand
Posted:ive found a new codec, so people might ahve to download that, im gonna have a look at what the quility is like vs size.............https://secure.cnchost.com/bitjazz.com/sheervideo/store/
is not realy a store, u can get the free player from that link
oli waht settings you use?https://secure.cnchost.com/bitjazz.com/sheervideo/store/

oh btw its edited in imove, i tried finalcut express, but need to learn how to use it

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Delete

Lavatwilight
Lavatwilight

old hand
Posted:Written by: Sym_

You would get a quicker answer if you gave your post a better subject and posted in the right forum.

Or, just googled it.

Hay ho.

Is there something you don't like about iMovie? Are you saying you have existing .wmvs' you'd like to convert? or are you compressing your DV film in to something.

As I say, google it. Maybe search here, but Mac people are few and far between on here AFAIK.

I use Finalcut Pro, but that might be a bit over kill for you, donno.

i movie is great, my understanding of exporting isnt, but throught some expermenting and hunting ithink i can have the vid up soonish biggrin is there a way to export directly from imovie to wmv.......so to be considerate to all the windows users?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Delete

Kobus44
Kobus44

Total posts: 4
Posted:if youre having problems with CODECs my advice is to use VLC media player. Its available 4 mac and windows and it plays just about anything.

Delete

ZeRo10487
ZeRo10487

Total posts: 8
Posted:Hey guys,

I'm trying to use a short video of me spinning from off my digital camera......and then edit it in Adobe After Effects, but it needs to have a different codec.

I've tried downloading codec converters, and I can get it to play then on After Effects just fine, but then I have the website's tag on my video since the codec I used was their free version.

Is there somewhere I can codec my video without paying for it, and not getting the tag on the video? I use windows XP by the way

thanks!
Lindsay

Delete

-sandy-
-sandy-

old hand
Total posts: 716
Posted:For a start dont use after effects! its an effects program not an editing program and while you can do basic editing in it, it's really not that good a way of doing things.
However, if you really want to use it you can download a program called serial box (google serial box SMX). Its basically a database of licence codes, it should have after effects in there somewhere and probably the codecs serial too.

Alternativly try thepiratebay.org the nets home to all things free and get a copy of premier pro, there will be instructions on how to get it working on there too. you will need a bit torrent client like azeurus or bit tornado to get the files. All the information you need is easily available on the web.

"Don't do it naked!"

Delete

ZeRo10487
ZeRo10487

Total posts: 8
Posted:I dont have a choice on the after effects portion, I'm in school for video production and this is the program we are learning. I'm not editing the *video* i'm editing text over it.

But thank you for the other links and tips, I will check those out. =)

EDITED_BY: ZeRo10487 (1173802380)

Delete