Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hah.. cool Kyrian! I've been to the Umass club as well (spun fire with them a couple of times too), though I haven't made it up there so often lately between work and gas prices. There's also a yo-yo club in NoHo at A2Z that I'm pretty active at..

If you're ever in the area, let me know. Anyone who likes Lain is good in my book. smile

Shawn

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
As a newbie to hooping I would like to ask two questions:
1. do I have to dress up in nothing but a bikini top and very short shorts do be a good hooper?!?!?
2. do I have to be spiritual about it?!?!?confused

Seriously, most of the websites I've seen are either with girls wearing very little or tribal, circular and looking for the divinity within ourselves. meditate Can't I just hoop?

And then I found an article stating that it is much easier to get into hooping than into fire spinning because the latter is very elitist and only for a few dare devils.

Don't think I agree with that umm

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
You don't have to dress up (or undress as the case may be) to hoop - although more friction helps the hoop stay up so it can seem easier on bare skin. Just avoid slippy clothes whilst you're learning smile

And as with everything, how you approach hooping is entirely your own choice. If you want to be spritual or include yoga poses with what you do then fine. If you want to just wiggle for the fun of it then fine smile

Enjoy yourself hug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sprocket

Seriously, most of the websites I've seen are either with girls wearing very little or tribal, circular and looking for the divinity within ourselves. meditate Can't I just hoop?

Be yourself, hoop where and when you want and how you want.

I think the large amount of bikini clad hoopers on the internet is more of an indication of what hoopers are being FILMED than what hoopers are actually hooping. If you put on a bikini and do just about anything in public, chances are you'll end up on the internet. wink

I think there's a higher percent of horny guys with video cameras than slutty hoopers. But when the two meet, it's pretty much guarenteed to end up on the internet.

99.9% of hoopers I've seen are not scantily clad. Then again, 99.9% are also not being videod. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I think the large amount of bikini clad hoopers on the internet is more of an indication of what hoopers are being FILMED than what hoopers are actually hooping. If you put on a bikini and do just about anything in public, chances are you'll end up on the internet. wink

I think there's a higher percent of horny guys with video cameras than slutty hoopers. But when the two meet, it's pretty much guarenteed to end up on the internet.

ROFLMAO!

Oh god NYC this is so priceless... "If you put on a bikini and do just about anything in public, chances are you'll end up on the internet. wink"
and so true.... and and... ubblol ubblol
I havn't had such a good laugh in ages.

As to the other bit, yeah, pretty much. I've actually never seen a scantily clad hooper, but then I havn't seen very many hoopers either. I just (try) to hoop, its fun, just do whatever. Wiggle. Suck. Or don't. I"m informed that I suck an unusual amount when trying to interact with objects.

biggrin

Oh, yeah, and thanks Molly (and Judith and Ros) for inspiring me to start trying hoopy goodness.... I don't think I've managed to mention it before....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Hurrah for Hyperloop and Skully! My hoop arrived ages ago but I've been so vilely busy that today is the first time I've had a chance to have a proper play! It rocks - tonnes of hoopy goodness. It may well be coming travelling with me - do you reckon I'll be able to take it on a plane as it is, or am I going to have to make a collapsible one? That faffing around with bungee cord looks really hard....

to live at all is miracle enough

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yknow, it occurs to me, Im not possibly going to be able to travel with a hoop, a harp is bad enough!

But what this means (since i only own cheap hoops anyway cause i suck) is that I need to know where (like what kind of store) in the UK you buy ubercheap hoops... (like mine here in the US cost about $3, but its ridiculous tongue)

any suggestions brits?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

150 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you can get the little light ones in toy shops here for a few £. You shouldn't have any problems finding one. I found ones that light up for £7 the other day, but I can't hoop with the little light ones at all so I had to tear myself away from the pretty sparkles...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Toy shops... I should have thought of that.

Everythings in the same shops here, except electronicsy stuff, and even basic electronicsy stuff can be found in thr grocery store... altho where I live (MI) is a bit stranger on that count than much of the US.

I still love, tho, an english friend of mine... he asks where I get full spectrum light bulbs, and I say "the grocery store" and he goes "well they definetly won't be there here!" And then he goes.. "I wonder if they sell them in light shops..." ubblol

I mean, if i'd known there was a such a thing... *giggles*

I suck, yes, the heavier ones are much nicer, but as I can't seem to settle down I really don't want to sink money into something hard to travel with, even small-ish amounts of money.... (plus i'm not very good at hooping anyway!)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well if you want a nice one, I'd PM Skully and buy one from her and get her to send one somewhere where you're gonna be... then carry it around for the summer and when you're done with it, take it home OR give it to someone cute.

There's nothing better than Hoop Karma. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

150 posts

Posted:
NYC, that's such a nice idea. Plus Skully's hoops rock and more people should own them. I'm trying to decide who I know that would appreciate them as Xmas presents...

Kyrian - i love those really specific shops! My local town has 3 shops that only sell things for boats. I'm not really a boaty person but they're still really interesting - all this stuff you didn't even know existed that requires three separate stores to filll the gap in the market!
EDITED_BY: Miranda (mewcat) (1129412847)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Aww smile tis, i really want to get at least three-four months in one place before i do such a thing tho!

specific shops are cool smile I enjoy them lots. But it does make it hard for me to figure out where to get thing sometimes!

smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
has anyone actually tried to fly with hoops? Do you have to check them in with oversized luggage? Will be flying soon and I need to take hoops!!!!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I flew a bunch to the UK. Molly took one too.

You just check them. They didn't ever really raise an eyebrow. I'm sure they've seen stranger things...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*Random Hooping tip for the day*
To travel with hoops in cars, with passengers (as so many of you do to and from places), put the hoops upright behind the front seats, with them slightly squished between the bit behind the handbrake, and the ceiling.
This way, the passengers can use the footwells, the passengers arent sitting inside the hoops or have them digging in uncomfortably and the hoops dont obstruct vision out of the rear view window for the driver.
Or I may have just been in a conveinently shaped car when I thought of this...
/*Random Hooping tip for the day*

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
We had them wedged against the roof and coming down over the backseat passengers like fairground ride safety belt thingies.
Or on the roof of the car with NYC leaning out a window holding on to it biggrin

Oh and when flying with hoops maybe mark them "fragile - keep away from heat" though I've not had any problems.

150 posts

Posted:
When flying with hoops, did you wrap them to protect them or just check them in as they are? I'm off travelling soon and I'd like to take my hoop - I don't really fancy the idea of trying to find bubble wrap and tape before each flight along the way! Do you think it'll be ok as it is?

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
The first time I was precious and wrapped my hoop in cling film

The second time I just taped two hoops together and set off smile

Just put your name and address on them like luggage and it'll be fine.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: UglyCowsOfFrance

*Random Hooping tip for the day*
To travel with hoops in cars....

confused

I live in America. I usually just throw a couple in the glove box of my Hummer.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol

NYC, you are officially the hopper who makes me laugh the most. period. dear god I get funny looks when i wind up reading your posts in a room which actually contains other people tho.....

I didn't realize hoops would be so not-fragile! Thats a good thing to know, it is.

I still have too much stuff (namely musical instruments) to consider flying with any anytime soon tho....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

ubblol

NYC, you are officially the hopper who makes me laugh the most. period. dear god I get funny looks when i wind up reading your posts in a room which actually contains other people tho.....

See! Some people get my sarcasm! biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

150 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Molly! I'll stick a label on it and check it!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
watch the video here
https://www.happyhooper.com/
Just for the soundtrack !!!! smile ubblol lolsign
I bet its already been posted, but I thought it was too good to miss.

I'm living next door to an ex Rhythmic gymnast!!

Hooooooooop

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
ubblol

But preaching the way of the transcendent hoop with so few LEDs in your own seems a bit slack to me. More shiney light hoooooop goodness.

NYC go make a video smile

ps. saw this the other day through tribe. There are some Sweet tricks in the "hooping in tall grass" video - bottom left of the page
EDITED_BY: Molly (1130937723)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
poop for a knackered computer that won't let me view videos.

frown

:Sulks:

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
come here then and we'll have fun falling over whilst trying to recreate the videos hug

the first one goes wiggle wiggle waffle pray wigglypray wiggle wiggle preach with a vaguely glowing hoop

the second one goes wiggle wiggle cor wiggle oo rewind OO gosh wiggle wiggle where are your feet wiggle oh its the grass wiggle and again taking notes this time

see? smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oooooooooooooo how fabby!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
But all the cool kids are here in NYC. You could just kidnap Skully on your way over and ask the GroovyGods and the Deez to bless you with tricks. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

150 posts

Posted:
Back to hoops on planes quickly -

I called Quantas over the weekend to check that it would be ok to fly with my hoop, not expecting there to be any problem but just being polite! They told me it was too big (it's approximately 120cm diameter) and would have to be checked (and paid for) as excess baggage even though even with my rucksack I'll be WELL within the weight restriction. They also said I would have to sign a form saying that any damage they caused to it wouldn't be paid for by Quantas (which i don't really have a problem with - they are quite fragile and it's my choice to take it with me) and more worryingly said that I might not be able to check it at all - it would be up to the person on the desk that day. I really don't want to get to the airport and have to leave it there. They suggested packing it in the kind of big box you use for bikes, but I'm taking about 8 flights in the next six months and don't really want to have to buy and pack a huge box each time - expensive and inconvenient! I really wasn't expecting this to be a problem - I just thought I'd let other hoopers know it could be an issue. I'm considering cutting the tape and taking out the connector and coiling and tying the hoop up small for each flight, or even - shock horror - leaving it at home, but neither option seems great!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Never had a problem.

I'm sure that's their official policy but I've never even been asked a question. Checked it without delay or charge every time.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: ......